VSPs allowing BT number porting?

Old January 15th 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Default VSPs allowing BT number porting?

I had 2 numbers ported to voip.co.uk from BT, both free.
It did take a while. Apparently the hold-up was at BT though.

So far I am impressed with voip.co.uk. Support is excellent.

Adam

Mike wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:40:20 +0000, Linker3000 wrote:

I enquired about porting a BT number to voip.co.uk about two weeks ago
and they said they could do it and it would take about 10-14 days.

Did they say how much?

Old January 15th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:47:24 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I had 2 numbers ported to voip.co.uk from BT, both free.
It did take a while. Apparently the hold-up was at BT though.

Thanks Adam, that's just what I needed to know.

So far I am impressed with voip.co.uk. Support is excellent.

Though I'm not with them myself (yet), I have noticed the many favourable
reports here and along with voipfone it's on my list of 'good' vsp's to
recommend to my friend. Just need to decide which ATA to recommend now.

--

Mike

When you decide which provider/kit you are going for, you do need to be
careful if you are doing away with the landline completely. As a bit of a
techie, I have found the FritzBox together with multiple outbound providers
(and voip.co.uk as inbound) to work well without a landline, but I seem to
remember others preferred voipfone (which I haven't tried). I would also
recommend the FritzBox for a non-technical person (once it has all been set
up) but I think there may be a better provider than voip.co.uk for a
non-technical person. Their dial-in voicemail is attrocious!

Old January 15th 07, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mike explained on 15/01/2007 :
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:23:21 GMT, Herman wrote:

I would also recommend the FritzBox for a non-technical person (once it has
all been set up) but I think there may be a better provider than voip.co.uk
for a non-technical person.

I don't think my friend would be willing to shell out for the Fritzbox as
it's a little pricey. As he doesn't really use the PC much, I was thinking
along the lines of an SPA-2100 or Grandstream 486 as either would avoid the
necessity for a separate router. Does anyone know the cheapest price for
either of these, or suggest any alternatives?

The SPA2102 (I think) has a 10/100 WAN port, the 2100 only a 10Mb WAN
port. Very configurable, not sure if the QoS is up to much.....not had
to buy one for a while, so not up to speed on best prices, sorry.

Old January 16th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:23:21 GMT, Herman wrote:

I would also recommend the FritzBox for a non-technical person (once it
has all
been set up) but I think there may be a better provider than voip.co.uk
for a
non-technical person.

I don't think my friend would be willing to shell out for the Fritzbox as
it's a little pricey. As he doesn't really use the PC much, I was thinking
along the lines of an SPA-2100 or Grandstream 486 as either would avoid
the
necessity for a separate router. Does anyone know the cheapest price for
either of these, or suggest any alternatives?

--

Mike

I have not found the 486 to be very good, and I am not sure the Firewall is
incredibly secure. My advice is to avoid this. Linksys/Sipura devices are
generally thought to be OK although I have no experience of the ex-sipura
models.

Old January 16th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:10:48 GMT, Mike wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:23:21 GMT, Herman wrote:

I would also recommend the FritzBox for a non-technical person (once it has all
been set up) but I think there may be a better provider than voip.co.uk for a
non-technical person.

I don't think my friend would be willing to shell out for the Fritzbox as
it's a little pricey. As he doesn't really use the PC much, I was thinking
along the lines of an SPA-2100 or Grandstream 486 as either would avoid the
necessity for a separate router. Does anyone know the cheapest price for
either of these, or suggest any alternatives?

Although having a PSTN connection, which you may not use, the SPA-3102
gives better functionality as regards multiple outgoing providers - 5
in all including the one on which you receive your calls.
Only one incoming provider though.
This ATA can connect to WAN and output LAN.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 19th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Jono wrote:

The SPA2102 (I think) has a 10/100 WAN port, the 2100 only a 10Mb WAN
port. Very configurable, not sure if the QoS is up to much.....not had
to buy one for a while, so not up to speed on best prices, sorry.

That isn't a big deal, because the SPA-2100 is discontinued and has been
for a while.

The Qos is only upstream, afaik.

If you want to see what the web interface looks like:
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_demo/spa-2102/

Tim