USB headsets vs. ATA+phone - quality comparison

Old January 14th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dmitri

Default USB headsets vs. ATA+phone - quality comparison

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does USB
headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with ordinary phone?
Old January 14th 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:40:17 +0000 (UTC), dmitri wrote:

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does USB
headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with ordinary phone?

From what I have read in previous posts the quality of USB headsets is
very variable. It probably depends on how much you pay. When you
consider the cost of an ATA is it really worth buying a USB headset?
I would only do that if the nature of my Net conection was such that
it precluded the use of an ATA.
You can get a basic ATA for just over 30 inc VAT and you won't need
your computer switched on to operate it.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 15th 07, 06:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dmitri

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:27:29 +0000, Brian A wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:40:17 +0000 (UTC), dmitri wrote:

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does USB
headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with ordinary phone?

From what I have read in previous posts the quality of USB headsets is
very variable. It probably depends on how much you pay. When you
consider the cost of an ATA is it really worth buying a USB headset?
I would only do that if the nature of my Net conection was such that
it precluded the use of an ATA.
You can get a basic ATA for just over 30 inc VAT and you won't need
your computer switched on to operate it.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Thanks, Brian! Could you, please, let me know where can I buy a dicent ATA
for 30 UKP.
Old January 15th 07, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh dmitri:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:27:29 +0000, Brian A wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:40:17 +0000 (UTC), dmitri wrote:

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does USB
headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with ordinary
phone?

From what I have read in previous posts the quality of USB headsets
is very variable. It probably depends on how much you pay. When you
consider the cost of an ATA is it really worth buying a USB headset?
I would only do that if the nature of my Net conection was such that
it precluded the use of an ATA.
You can get a basic ATA for just over 30 inc VAT and you won't need
your computer switched on to operate it.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Thanks, Brian! Could you, please, let me know where can I buy a
dicent ATA for 30 UKP.

Zoom 5800 ATA at Play.com for 33 delivered.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old January 15th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 06:52:08 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh dmitri:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:27:29 +0000, Brian A wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:40:17 +0000 (UTC), dmitri wrote:

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does USB
headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with ordinary
phone?
From what I have read in previous posts the quality of USB headsets
is very variable. It probably depends on how much you pay. When you
consider the cost of an ATA is it really worth buying a USB headset?
I would only do that if the nature of my Net conection was such that
it precluded the use of an ATA.
You can get a basic ATA for just over 30 inc VAT and you won't need
your computer switched on to operate it.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Thanks, Brian! Could you, please, let me know where can I buy a
dicent ATA for 30 UKP.

Zoom 5800 ATA at Play.com for 33 delivered.

Yes, that is the one I thinking of. However, how good they are I
don't know, perhaps someone could comment on that. They have got to be
better than getting a headset set up though.
One of the Zooms has a PSTN fallback too - don't know which one. That
just means that if the power goes down your handsets will connect to
the landline. That's all though, I don't think that you will be able
to direct certain calls to the landline by way of their number type
but it may be possible to switch to PSTN in some way - no doubt others
will know about that.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 15th 07, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Brian A:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 06:52:08 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

Thus spaketh dmitri:

wrote:

I'm looking for the most cost effective VOIP SIP solution. Does
USB headset provide quality similar to VOIP phone or ATA with
ordinary phone?
From what I have read in previous posts the quality of USB headsets
[...]

Not used them myself, so can't comment.

Haven't noticed many post about these either, now that maybe due to
there not being many problems or that not many people buy them.

I use a Linksys PAP2, have no landline, so no need for PSTN fallback
myself.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old January 15th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

One of the Zooms has a PSTN fallback too - don't know which one. That
just means that if the power goes down your handsets will connect to
the landline. That's all though, I don't think that you will be able
to direct certain calls to the landline by way of their number type
but it may be possible to switch to PSTN in some way - no doubt others
will know about that.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Not used them myself, so can't comment.

Haven't noticed many post about these either, now that maybe due to
there not being many problems or that not many people buy them.

Indeed so.

I use a Linksys PAP2, have no landline, so no need for PSTN fallback
myself.

I use an SPA-3000. I think it is worth getting an ATA of known
quality rather than going for a cheap one such as the Zoom but if it
is just a case of doing better than a headset then it should be OK, it
may even be quite good. I got the SPA-3000, even though I don't have a
landline, because I wanted the facility of being able to use a number
of outgoing providers. Of course it is possible to use Voxalot to
achieve the same effect but with not quite the same reliability.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.