Poor quaity via voip

Old January 15th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
807

Default Poor quaity via voip

I have 10 meg BB connection, but at times the quality via voip to say
voipcheap, voipbuster etc etc is very poor in the fact it breaks up. Is this
down to just over congestion. I have to revert to my land line at times. It
stops me changing over completely. Do others get this ?.

Old January 15th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh 807:
I have 10 meg BB connection, but at times the quality via voip to say
voipcheap, voipbuster etc etc is very poor in the fact it breaks up.
Is this down to just over congestion. I have to revert to my land
line at times. It stops me changing over completely. Do others get
this ?.

It must be congestion on your broadband service.

I have no problems with VoIPStunt, VoIPDiscount etc, call quality is
excellent, no breaking up.

Though I do have it set to use G711a only.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old January 15th 07, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
Thus spaketh 807:
I have 10 meg BB connection, but at times the quality
via voip to say voipcheap, voipbuster etc etc is very
poor in the fact it breaks up. Is this down to just
over congestion. I have to revert to my land line at
times. It stops me changing over completely. Do others
get this ?.

It must be congestion on your broadband service.

I have no problems with VoIPStunt, VoIPDiscount etc, call
quality is excellent, no breaking up.

Though I do have it set to use G711a only.

At the risk of Dexter chiming in, I get no problems with Sipgate either.
My connection is only 2Mb.

Ivor

Old January 15th 07, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

807 wrote:
I have 10 meg BB connection, but at times the quality via voip to say
voipcheap, voipbuster etc etc is very poor in the fact it breaks up. Is this
down to just over congestion. I have to revert to my land line at times. It
stops me changing over completely. Do others get this ?.

We have experienced up & down call quality on Blueyonder 10MB connection
with incoming calls through voipfone and outbound calls with voipfone
and voipcheap.com

On the whole it's more a case of an isolated poor quality call, with an
immediate subsequent call being fine.

Worst calls seem to be when the call is to our BT number which has
divert on busy to our voipfone number through talktalk.

On the whole though things have been usable over the last month with
very few problems.

Call quality from home on a 1 meg adsl line almost seems better though
quantity of calls are significantly lower so problems may not be so evident.

HTH
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Old January 15th 07, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
k...
Thus spaketh 807:

--

I agree that congestion is the most likely cause. But remember, it can be
to do with Network setup or Codec as well. I seem to remember some talk of

Assuming Telewest have the same upstream speeds as NTL, then this will be on
a 512k bandwidth. More than adequate for voice traffic, but maybe less than
you'd think for the downstream speed.

Could also be the provider, but I have found the Finarea call quality to be
better than most. (on 4MB connection)

Old January 15th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Herman laid this down on his screen :

Assuming Telewest have the same upstream speeds as NTL, then this will be on
a 512k bandwidth.

384K up on TW. Should still be sufficient, though.

Old January 16th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Jono wrote:

384K up on TW. Should still be sufficient, though.

more than enough by a large margin.
Durind calls the most I have seen the routers bandwidth usage graph go
to is 90 Kbs .

Old January 16th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:27:18 GMT, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)"
wrote:

807 wrote:
[...]

I have a 1Mb/s Telewest line and I get perfect quality on my voip
calls using several different providers. If I didn't get good quality
I would see no advantage to being on Telewest, I use them because I
don't need to have a landline with my broadband. If the quality wasn't
good I'd move back to a BT line rather than have a Telewest phone
line.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A has brought this to us :
wrote:

807 wrote:
[...]

I had a similar mindset.....although BT Line + Sky Broadband = Less
than Telewest.

Old January 16th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
wrote:

807 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you need to work out which is better for you.

For me, it's 4Mbit TW broadband, free TW digital TV (granted only the
starter pack) and VoIP = 19.99 per month, had the offer I was on
extended for another year. I was also subscribed to Sky Digital, but
dropped that and just use it for the FTA/FTV channels, don't watch a
great deal of TV anymore.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk