sipgate - good or bad with a netgear ta612v voice adapter ?

Old January 16th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Default sipgate - good or bad with a netgear ta612v voice adapter ?

I bought the adapter today from staples for 9.50

any comments on the adaptor and sipgate ?

regards

paul

Old January 16th 07, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

that bad then ?

wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:36:06 GMT, "Paul"
wrote:

any comments on the adaptor and sipgate ?

Oh deer I have just bitten my tongue aren't I feeling kind Ivor !! .

Old January 16th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TKD

I bought the adapter today from staples for 9.50

any comments on the adaptor and sipgate ?

regards

Sipgate have it available to buy on their website so it must work on with
service.

You can configure it he
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/autoco...artner=netgear

Old January 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul" wrote in message
. uk
that bad then ?

Don't take any notice of Dexter, he's the resident group troll, most
people have him killfiled now, but he won't do the same for me,
unfortunately ;-)

The TA612V is perfectly ok, it's not the one I would choose, but then I'm
a bit of a nerd and like fiddling with setting and things, but for actual
use as a router/VoIP adaptor it's fine and configures itself on Sipgate
via their website (I assume you've done this..?)

If you need any help in setting things up, let me know. If you want to
make/receive some test calls, try 1431320 (my speaking clock) or email me
off group with your SIP ID and I'll call you back. Replace invalid with
com in sending address to reply.

Ivor

Old January 17th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Paul wrote:
I bought the adapter today from staples for 9.50

any comments on the adaptor and sipgate ?

can't comment on the adapter, but I did give sipgate a try initially, as
I thought folks may have been a bit harsh about the service.

only used it for icoming calls, but the quality for the week or more I
tried to use them made it a no-go especially as a main communications
media for my business.

I originally tried to put money on the account but the web-site wouldn't
work. Incoming calls transferred from BT line (BT Forward on busy) were
un-usable.

If it's not businiess-critical use (just playing around with the
technology) then give it a go, but don't be disheartned if call quality
is not what you you were expecting, there are plenty more options to
chose from, most of which will provide extremely good call quality and
support.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

I have been trying to get my original sipgate 0845 number registered at
home, but my router won't register the account for some reason.

(I really want to give sipgate a fair chance before joining the "sipgate
is crap" brigade completely)

:)

Cheers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Old January 17th 07, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)""
wrote in message
.uk

[snip]

I have been trying to get my original sipgate 0845 number
registered at home, but my router won't register the
account for some reason.
(I really want to give sipgate a fair chance before
joining the "sipgate is crap" brigade completely)

I'd be interested in knowing more about your setup, as I've never once had
a call quality issue with Sipgate. Yes they've had more than their fair
share of problems, and the system has gone down a few times, but never has
any call been less than perfect quality.

What equipment are you using and what settings are you trying to enter..?
Some screenshots would be useful (forward to me directly rather than post
on the group, unless you have a website available, as this group doesn't
support attachments). Replace invalid with com in sending address to
reply.

Ivor

Old January 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ivor Jones wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing more about your setup, as I've never once had
a call quality issue with Sipgate. Yes they've had more than their fair
share of problems, and the system has gone down a few times, but never has
any call been less than perfect quality.

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2910vg both here in the shop and at home.
In the shop I have 2 phones in the 2 adaptors one phone is a DECT the
other a bit of an antiquity (BT Decor 100)

The only settings I have needed to tinker with on the vigor has been
mic. and speaker gain, and changing the DTMF Relay from "in Band" to
"SIP INFO (Cisco Format)" to get DTMF tones to be recognised by PSTN
equipment, switchboards, automated operator etc etc.

What equipment are you using and what settings are you trying to enter..?
Some screenshots would be useful (forward to me directly rather than post
on the group, unless you have a website available, as this group doesn't
support attachments). Replace invalid with com in sending address to
reply.

Screen shots... Never did quite understand how to do those!

:)

I am of course willing to give sipgate a fair chance, it's just the
alternatives I was forced to try due to lack of confidence in sipgate
have proved to work very well with the Vigors.

voipcheap.com for the majority of outbound calls and voipfone.co.uk for
0845 inbound numbers and for calling all other numbers where lack of
caller ID presents the problem of recipient not answering
"international" calls.

Just thought that as I had a nice 0845 number through sipgate I could
allocate it to our home line rather than a tricky to remember 056000...
number, then folks would have a choice.

Old January 17th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)""
wrote in message
.uk
Ivor Jones wrote:

I'd be interested in knowing more about your setup, as
I've never once had a call quality issue with Sipgate.
Yes they've had more than their fair share of problems,
and the system has gone down a few times, but never has
any call been less than perfect quality.

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2910vg both here in the shop and
at home. In the shop I have 2 phones in the 2 adaptors one phone
is a DECT the other a bit of an antiquity (BT Decor 100)

The only settings I have needed to tinker with on the
vigor has been mic. and speaker gain, and changing the
DTMF Relay from "in Band" to "SIP INFO (Cisco Format)" to
get DTMF tones to be recognised by PSTN equipment,
switchboards, automated operator etc etc.

That's usual, SIP INFO is probably the best to use for most providers.

What equipment are you using and what settings are you
trying to enter..? Some screenshots would be useful
(forward to me directly rather than post on the group,
unless you have a website available, as this group
doesn't support attachments). Replace invalid with com
in sending address to reply.

Screen shots... Never did quite understand how to do
those!

Assuming Windows, Ctrl-Print Screen to copy to clipboard. Then import them
into whatever program you want such as Word.

I am of course willing to give sipgate a fair chance,
it's just the alternatives I was forced to try due to
lack of confidence in sipgate have proved to work very
well with the Vigors.
voipcheap.com for the majority of outbound calls and
voipfone.co.uk for 0845 inbound numbers and for calling
all other numbers where lack of caller ID presents the
problem of recipient not answering "international" calls.

Just thought that as I had a nice 0845 number through
sipgate I could allocate it to our home line rather than
a tricky to remember 056000... number, then folks would
have a choice.

Hmm, there's no such thing as a "nice" 0845 number, you'd be far better
off getting a normal geographic number. You won't find many here who will
be happy to call an 0845 or 0870 number..! It's still free from Sipgate of
course, but PSTN callers won't thank you..!

Ivor

Old January 17th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ivor Jones wrote:

Hmm, there's no such thing as a "nice" 0845 number, you'd be far better
off getting a normal geographic number. You won't find many here who will
be happy to call an 0845 or 0870 number..! It's still free from Sipgate of
course, but PSTN callers won't thank you..!

I agree from the point of view of calling using voip, but of the 100's
of calls we get each week, I doubt there will be a 0.1 of a percent of
callers that are using VOIP to call.
Even if they are it's still only going to cost a few pence a minute at
most.

0845 86 86 888 is our "nice" number of course we still have our
original BT number of old should anyone desire.

0870 numbers are the pits I agree.
My good ole dad pointed me to a great site just last night!

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I have of course added our business details to it but it's one well
worth remembering Try doing a search for DVLA

:)

I'm sure everyone here will find a use for it.

Old January 17th 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)" explained on 17/01/2007 :
Ivor Jones wrote:

Hmm, there's no such thing as a "nice" 0845 number, you'd be far better off
getting a normal geographic number. You won't find many here who will be
happy to call an 0845 or 0870 number..! It's still free from Sipgate of
course, but PSTN callers won't thank you..!

I agree from the point of view of calling using voip, but of the 100's of
calls we get each week, I doubt there will be a 0.1 of a percent of callers
that are using VOIP to call.
Even if they are it's still only going to cost a few pence a minute at most.

0845 86 86 888 is our "nice" number of course we still have our original BT
number of old should anyone desire.

You seem to be blissfully unaware that calls to 0845 numbers cost from
about 4 times more to call than if you have a normal 01/02/0560 number.

Unless you get a cut from the call revenue to your 0845 number, the
provider of it certainly is getting a cut.

Ivor's point was that if, as a Sipgate customer you dial a Sipgate 0845
number, the call is routed by VoIP & is therefore free. However if
someone is ringing from, say a normal fixed line, they'll be paying a
premium.