voip.co.uk and SKY

Old January 16th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Default voip.co.uk and SKY

I use voip.co.uk for my home phone (have a mobile for backup).

I have two sky boxes - both plugged into the voip line.

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

I have raised this with voip.co.uk and had the following advice in
return ....

Please bear in mind that I use a Sipura 1001 ATA -and I'm not techie.

I have spoken to our technical team and they recommend that for you
to use a modem over VoIP you will need to force your ATA to use the
codec g.711 and not to use g.729 and also set your fax settings to
T30 and disable t38.

They believe that you will then be able to then contact Sky via VoIP.

Kind Regards,

Well, I have set the ATA to use G711a (it was set to g711u) -but I
cannot find a relative setting for T30 - or anywhere where I can
disable t38 - though there are all sorts of other fax related bits,
they make no sense to me at all.

Can someone offer some assistance? I assume that somebody somewhere has
had this before!

Regards

Mick

Old January 17th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old January 17th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but cannot.

what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

Phil

Well, if it's like mine, the modem at the far end answers ok but the two
modems seem unable to train up and eventually the call times out.
Old January 17th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
cannot.

what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

Phil

voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).

the things seems to time out - so it's sending, but not making the
conection .....

What i'm really after is someone with knowledge of the issues with the
ATA as per original post as i do not have sufficient techie knowledge
to do the job w/o assistance.

Mick

Old January 17th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mick explained :
Phil Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
cannot.

what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

Phil

voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).

the things seems to time out - so it's sending, but not making the
conection .....

What i'm really after is someone with knowledge of the issues with the
ATA as per original post as i do not have sufficient techie knowledge
to do the job w/o assistance.

Mick

Have you tried sending a fax as a test? The Sky modem is too fast for
the VoIP connection.

There's loads of discussions around the problem
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-01,GGLG:en&q=sky+box+voip&safe=active

Have you played with the "Modem Line Toggle Code" which you should find
on the regional tab of the SPA's admin interface.

You may struggle to get the Sky box to prefix the call with *99, so
you'll have to mess around with different numbers......do the vertical
service activation codes /have/ to start with a *..? I'm not sure.

It's been pondered at lot, has what you're tying to accomplish - not
least because it would alow multiroom subscriptions with the boxes in
two distinctly different geographical locations.

Old January 17th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:50:49 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:47:58 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

The sky boxes are trying to communicate with the SKY server but
cannot.

what happens ? maybe plug a phone in parallel and listen in. Does the
VoIP service present CLI and does Sky need it ?

Phil

voip.co.uk provides CLID - Sky apparently needs this - hence the
overide code in the settings (1470 for BT customers).

Mick

I had my phone line connected to my Sky box a very long time ago. They
didn't need a CLI then - mine was blocked. I gave them an 0870 number,
I didn't want to be pestered once my year, with the box connected to
the phone line, had run out (I did the 100 for box and installation,
with no package deal, - i.e. free TV only). Anyway, voip.co.uk does
present a CLI.
I would think that the problem here is more likely to relate to how
well the modems can communicate over VoIP. I have done FAX over
voip.co.uk but data, with Sky, I've never tried.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 13th 07, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Mick wrote:

[...]

just by way of an update .....

after I had the letter from Sky advising me that my skybox wasn't
connected to their server, and their engineer came round and but could
do nothing .... i wrote to Sky and pointed out that I had indeed
complied with all their requirements to have a working phone line
connected to the sky box - and that they could download all the data
they wished - but it was their end that was causing the problem in not
communicating over the phone line with my voip service -making sure
they understood that I was using a VOIP service provider.

I got a letter back soon after thanking me for the information and that
as far as they were concerned, the matter was closed and no further
action was being taken.

Mick