Does the fritzbox have Parental control?

Old January 17th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Default Does the fritzbox have Parental control?

Folks,

Does the fritzbox have parental control software?
If not what is a decent VOIP router that does, preferably with the TI AR7 chipset?

Many thanks - Adam
Old January 17th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:23:03 +0000, Adam Lipscombe
wrote:

Folks,

Does the fritzbox have parental control software?
If not what is a decent VOIP router that does, preferably with the TI AR7 chipset?

Many thanks - Adam

I'm not too sure what you mean by a 'parental control'. Is this
something to stop certain call types being made?
If so the easy way to do that is to build a code into your dial plan -
assuming you want access these restricted numbers. If you don't want
anyone to access them then you don't put them into the dial plan.
...or perhaps you mean something entirely different ???

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 17th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A presented the following explanation :
wrote:

Does the fritzbox have parental control software?
If not what is a decent VOIP router that does, preferably with the TI AR7
chipset?

I'm not too sure what you mean by a 'parental control'. Is this
something to stop certain call types being made?
If so the easy way to do that is to build a code into your dial plan -
assuming you want access these restricted numbers. If you don't want
anyone to access them then you don't put them into the dial plan.
..or perhaps you mean something entirely different ???

I'm sure he means Website filtering; keyword blocking etc.....it is a
router as well!

Old January 17th 07, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

Does the fritzbox have parental control software?
If not what is a decent VOIP router that does,
preferably with the TI AR7 chipset?

I'm not too sure what you mean by a 'parental control'.
Is this something to stop certain call types being made?
If so the easy way to do that is to build a code into
your dial plan - assuming you want access these
restricted numbers. If you don't want anyone to access
them then you don't put them into the dial plan. ..or
perhaps you mean something entirely different ???

I'm sure he means Website filtering; keyword blocking
etc.....it is a router as well!

That's probably best done in software - many firewall packages such as
Norton include this. Not aware of any routers with it built in, although I
stand to be corrected.

Ivor

Old January 17th 07, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones explained :

I'm sure he means Website filtering; keyword blocking
etc.....it is a router as well!

That's probably best done in software - many firewall packages such as Norton
include this. Not aware of any routers with it built in, although I stand to
be corrected.

Are you sitting or standing?

The Netgear DG834GT allows blocking by keyword or URL.

Old January 17th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Folks,

Does the fritzbox have parental control software?
If not what is a decent VOIP router that does, preferably with the TI AR7
chipset?

Many thanks - Adam

I believe at one time it was in a Beta version on the Annex B models. Can't
see anything on the website now, not even in the German section.

Old January 17th 07, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:48:33 GMT, Jono
wrote:

Ivor Jones explained :

I'm sure he means Website filtering; keyword blocking
etc.....it is a router as well!

That's probably best done in software - many firewall packages such as Norton
include this. Not aware of any routers with it built in, although I stand to
be corrected.

Are you sitting or standing?

The Netgear DG834GT allows blocking by keyword or URL.

Yes, I have an old Netgear and have a few blocked sites in it - mostly
those that have download files with viruses etc.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 18th 07, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
darren

Jono wrote:
Ivor Jones explained :

I'm sure he means Website filtering; keyword blocking
etc.....it is a router as well!

That's probably best done in software - many firewall packages such as
Norton include this. Not aware of any routers with it built in,
although I stand to be corrected.

Are you sitting or standing?

The Netgear DG834GT allows blocking by keyword or URL.

ZyXEL routers can do this you can set up your own keywords and rules or
you can subscribe to a service that updates etc and so its done on the
fly on the router before it gets into your network

Not sure of specific models but my 662H models can certainly do it
Old January 18th 07, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Draytek Vigor 2600VG can block websites by keyword, IP, Java, ActiveX,
Proxy, as well exe, mutimedia, compressed files and cookies.
But it would be difficult to use it effectively for parental control.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 18th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Thanks...

What I mean by Parental Control is the ability to a) block undesirable sites (porn, gambling etc)
and b) limit the time when web browsing is available.

Some of the "Home Hubs" have software builtin do this, some others offer access to a subscription
service (e.g. Trend Micro),

I need a VOIP router than can do it also.

Many thanks - Adam