Old December 4th 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

On Friday, 4 December 2015 12:34:29 UTC, Invalid wrote:
In message , R.
Mark Clayton writes
Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing.
Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from
my own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA.

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

My understanding is that this happens if there is an attempt to log in
to the account from two different machines simultaneously.

If your tablet or phone is set to automatically pull mail and does so
when you are already logged in using one of the other devices it will
trigger this behaviour. I had this problem with a friend after she got
an iPad last Christmas and someone set it up to be permanently watching
for mail even when apparently "off" as far as she was concerned. Each
time she logged on using her desktop she ended up having to reset her
password.

Yes I thought that it was usually two or more devices trying to pull mail at the same time, but in the wee small hours of the morning the PC was off and the phone was programmed not to do it. OTOH, I was speed testing the Wi-Fi / Broadband on different connections and this may have spooked Yahoo's fragile security - but why four times?

Sensible in the olden days - not really sensible in today's multi-device
world - but to avoid it ensure that the other devices are switched off
- or using manual pull - when you go online.
--
Invalid