Old December 13th 15, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing.
Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my
own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and
phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA.

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

If you have fixed IP, with Linux you can set up your own mailserver and use
something like Courier mail.

If on dynamic IP, you can get noip.com to give you a domain and add some
software from them into your server to ping their servers every 30 minutes
to keep up with changing IP addresses.

BT has as far as I know declared all its dynamic IP addresses as spam
addresses, so you can receive mail but most sites will not accept email sent
out from BT dynamic ip addresses. But you can hire service from email
providers to forward emails through their mail servers.

Although difficult to set up at first, the result is very nice.
Never have problems with emails such as passwords and size restrictions.
You can also set up spam filters and mailboxes to that the incoming
mail is scanned and filtered into appropriate in boxes. And have numerous
email accounts which allows you to partition off idiots that sell on your
email id to spammers to see who is doing it. The added security is that
all your emails live in your own server and not some cloud server which
can get hacked all too easily these days.

All the software and documentation is free for Linux.
Using something like an SSD is recommended for speed.
When you got tens of thousands of emails, speed is important
(mechanical drives can't move that head fast enough!)
An old laptop for 30 purchased off ebay is good enough
for the CPU. If the power went down, the battery will keep
the laptop going for an hour or two in time for the power to be restored.