BT Freelance XD 1500 compatible with usb adaptor ?

Old January 19th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
boardtc

Default BT Freelance XD 1500 compatible with usb adaptor ?

My Binatone phone died some months ago. I was happily using this with
my usb adaptor for skype. I purchased a BT Freelance XD 1500 triple a
while back and have not been impressed.

The sound reception quality is not great. If I use it via the usb
adaptor I get no line - this is using cables which have been tested to
work on another equipment.I have not been able to get any information
to confirm but my suspicions are that this phone is not compatible with
using a usb adaptor. Is this possible?

If this is the case I will cell on this phone, Can someone recommend a
good quality mid range dect set which comes with three handsets that
will be compatible with my usb adaptor for skype.

Thanks a lot, Tom.

Old January 19th 07, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

On 19 Jan 2007 12:51:14 -0800, "boardtc" wrote:

My Binatone phone died some months ago. I was happily using this with
my usb adaptor for skype. I purchased a BT Freelance XD 1500 triple a
while back and have not been impressed.

The sound reception quality is not great. If I use it via the usb
adaptor I get no line - this is using cables which have been tested to
work on another equipment.I have not been able to get any information
to confirm but my suspicions are that this phone is not compatible with
using a usb adaptor. Is this possible?

If this is the case I will cell on this phone, Can someone recommend a
good quality mid range dect set which comes with three handsets that
will be compatible with my usb adaptor for skype.

Thanks a lot, Tom.

Panasonic 7000 series. Check prices online because they vary quite a
lot. Even if you don't want an answerphone, I'd recommend getting the
version that has this and simply leave it off, because there are a few
other facilities that go with it, such as transferring phonebook
numbers from handset to handset. Amazon sell extension handsets.

If your Skype adaptor is like the one I got for 20 from Maplin, then
it should be compatible with any standard BT phone. I've used one
successfully with a Panasonic phone.

Rod.
Old January 19th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
boardtc

Roderick Stewart wrote:
If your Skype adaptor is like the one I got for 20 from Maplin, then
it should be compatible with any standard BT phone. I've used one
successfully with a Panasonic phone.

Interesting thamks, I picked mine up for 20 on ebay about 18 months
ago. When I connect it via the Freelance the usb and line lights show.
I wonder if it's broken. I'll have to try and test it at a friend's
house or something.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a read up on those.

Tom.

Old January 20th 07, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

On 19 Jan 2007 15:29:50 -0800, "boardtc" wrote:

If your Skype adaptor is like the one I got for 20 from Maplin, then
it should be compatible with any standard BT phone. I've used one
successfully with a Panasonic phone.

Interesting thamks, I picked mine up for 20 on ebay about 18 months
ago. When I connect it via the Freelance the usb and line lights show.
I wonder if it's broken. I'll have to try and test it at a friend's
house or something.

You do realise there's some software that goes with it, don't you?
Since you say you got yours on Ebay I wonder if this was missed. The
idea is to leave the software running in the background on your PC,
and it will autodetect incoming calls from either the BT line, or
Skype, switch the relay in the box and ring the phone. For outgoing
calls, I think it selects the BT line by default unless you press one
of the keys on the phone (* or # I think).

If you wish, you can configure it to stay switched to Skype all the
time, and use two physically separate phones, one for Skype and one
for BT. Whichever you choose, the phone plugged into the adaptor
doesn't have to be a special one. Any standard phone that you would
plug into the BT wall socket will do, including cordless if you like.

Rod.
Old January 21st 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
boardtc

Hi Rod,

Thanks for being thorough. I must have not been clear enough in my
original post. I used this adaptor with my binatone phone to make skype
calls for a year before my phone died. I was using skymate and had the
speed dial setup, it worked great. Then I got this BT phone and it does
not work with it, phone works fine connected stratight to the line but
via the adaptor there is no dial tone. I can use the extra phone
connection i'm using to dial in on my modem fine (just to test it, I
have broadband).I had thought that perhaps BT had somehow disabled
their phone to not be used in this fashion. but from your comments
there does not seem to be a question of that.

Tanks, Tom.

Old January 21st 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

On 21 Jan 2007 02:06:44 -0800, "boardtc" wrote:

Thanks for being thorough. I must have not been clear enough in my
original post. I used this adaptor with my binatone phone to make skype
calls for a year before my phone died. I was using skymate and had the
speed dial setup, it worked great. Then I got this BT phone and it does
not work with it, phone works fine connected stratight to the line but
via the adaptor there is no dial tone.

Strange. The next thing I'd want to check would be the wiring of the
RJ11 connector on the cable you use to plug into the adaptor.
Presumably the adaptor has RJ11 sockets, and the wall socket will of
course be a BT phone socket, you you'll either use different cables or
an adaptor - is that right? Some RJ11-to-BT cables are wired pin for
pin, but some have pins 2 & 5 of the BT plug wired to 3 & 4 of the
RJ11 to suit American modems. If you're using a modem cable as an
adaptor cable, it might be worth checking which way it's wired.

Rod.