Vonage Faxmail question

Old January 19th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti Spam Bloke

Default Vonage Faxmail question

Is Vonage faxmail fax2email or fax forwarding to a regular fax machine?

Their online help isn't.

Old January 19th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti Spam Bloke

"Anti Spam Bloke" wrote in message
Is Vonage faxmail fax2email or fax forwarding to a regular fax machine?

Their online help isn't.

After alot of hunting, I just answered my own questions:
It's Easy to UseJust add a Vonage fax line and then plug your fax machine
into Line 2 of the Phone Adapter, and you can begin sending and receiving
faxes. Vonage fax works with all brands of fax machines. Get a Complete
Record of Your Faxes OnlineSince your dedicated fax line has its own number,
it's easy to keep track of your incoming and outgoing faxes on your Vonage
dashboard. This allows you to check your fax activity online, anytime,
anywhere.http://www.vonage.co.uk/features.php?feature=fax

Old January 20th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

Anti Spam Bloke wrote:

"Anti Spam Bloke" wrote in message
Is Vonage faxmail fax2email or fax forwarding to a regular fax machine?

Their online help isn't.

After alot of hunting, I just answered my own questions:
It's Easy to UseJust add a Vonage fax line and then plug your fax machine
into Line 2 of the Phone Adapter, and you can begin sending and receiving
faxes. Vonage fax works with all brands of fax machines. Get a Complete
Record of Your Faxes OnlineSince your dedicated fax line has its own number,
it's easy to keep track of your incoming and outgoing faxes on your Vonage
dashboard. This allows you to check your fax activity online, anytime,
anywhere.http://www.vonage.co.uk/features.php?feature=fax

We've tried the 'fax line' service with Vonage - it's VERY bad. The
only way we could get it to work was to force the fax to the lowest
speed possible and turn off error correction. We tried it with 3
different fax machines and experienced less than 50% success rate on
all machines on both send and receive.

It works fine as an extra voice line though.

--

Andy

Old January 21st 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

Polly wrote:

On 20 Jan 2007 02:23:36 -0800, Andy Lord postulated:

We've tried the 'fax line' service with Vonage - it's VERY bad. The
only way we could get it to work was to force the fax to the lowest
speed possible and turn off error correction. We tried it with 3
different fax machines and experienced less than 50% success rate on
all machines on both send and receive.

When you reported this problem to Vonage support, what did they say?

To force the fax to the lowest speed possible and turn off error
correction.

It frankly wasn't worth persevering with. As it was, it was a toss up
between continuing with our less than perfect fax solution and using
the Vonage 'fax line'. If the Vonage service had been reliable and
effort free then we'd have continued with it. As it was, having
confirmed that there was no problem either with our equipment or the
broadband connection, it was easier just not to bother with Vonage.

It seemed to me that, rather than being a specific 'fax line' using a
fax codec (if such a thing exists), the Vonage service achieved no
better results than I've achieved using the normal 'voice' channel with
other VOIP services. The fact that there was no discernable difference
in voice call quality between the 'fax line' and the normal Vonage line
leads me to wonder whether the 'fax line' was optimised for fax at all.

Just my opinions, other people may have better luck with the service. I
assume that some people must achieve acceptable results with it or
Vonage wouldn't continue to offer the service.

--

Andy