Alternative To Skype

Old January 20th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Second Stage Lensman

Default Alternative To Skype

Skype have now introduced a connection charge so I was looking for an
alternative.

I want to use my PC with a "softphone" on it. This PC will be on 24/7 so I
will have no need of any extra hardware. I will use a headset connected to
the PCs sound card.

The destinations I ring are UK national calls and Malaysia and Singapore.

Skype Pro is coming out soon and even though it will have a connection
charge, for 2 euros a month it will have unlimited free calls within the UK.
So I am looking for a VOIP provider that will run on the hardware described
above that for a low monthly charge will allow unlimited free calls to the
UK and low cost calls to Malaysia and Singapore and a non expiring credit.

Any suggestions?

Old January 20th 07, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alan99

Have your considered www.internetcalls.com (or other betamax
offerings)?

You get free calls to your specified destinations (landlines) for 120
days after a 10 top-up or 60 days after a 5 SMS top-up. The 5
only gives you 4.50 due to the network's cut. I used some Easymobile
bonus top-up so it didn't cost me anything!

Hope this helps

Old January 20th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Second Stage Lensman" wrote in message
Skype have now introduced a connection charge so I was looking for an
alternative.

I want to use my PC with a "softphone" on it. This PC will be on 24/7 so I
will have no need of any extra hardware. I will use a headset connected to
the PCs sound card.

The destinations I ring are UK national calls and Malaysia and Singapore.

Skype Pro is coming out soon and even though it will have a connection
charge, for 2 euros a month it will have unlimited free calls within the
UK. So I am looking for a VOIP provider that will run on the hardware
described above that for a low monthly charge will allow unlimited free
calls to the UK and low cost calls to Malaysia and Singapore and a non
expiring credit.

Any suggestions?

If you are using a softphone you are probably better off using multiple
accounts

Use something like voip.co.uk for UK calls, this seems to be 1.99/month
calls to malaysia are 2p/minute
buy you could then buy credit for lowratevoip.com where calls to Malaysia
are 0.9p/minute (you also get 200 minutes a week free calls to UK and
Malasyia while the credit freedays time is active) note, even when you
credit freedays time runs out you can still use your existing credit to make
calls.

There are some other similar options where you 300 minutes a week but out
standard calls rates are higher, guess it depends on your weekly call amount

Old January 20th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anti Spam Bloke

"RH" wrote in message

[...]

How about something like X-Lite with many of these 'free 300 minutes'
accounts?

My wife calls Malaysia ALOT and it would be a very good deal for her.

Old January 21st 07, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-01-20, Anti Spam Bloke wrote:

"RH" wrote in message

If you are using a softphone you are probably better off using multiple
accounts

Use something like voip.co.uk for UK calls, this seems to be 1.99/month
calls to malaysia are 2p/minute
buy you could then buy credit for lowratevoip.com where calls to Malaysia
are 0.9p/minute (you also get 200 minutes a week free calls to UK and
Malasyia while the credit freedays time is active) note, even when you
credit freedays time runs out you can still use your existing credit to
make calls.

There are some other similar options where you 300 minutes a week but out
standard calls rates are higher, guess it depends on your weekly call
amount

How about something like X-Lite with many of these 'free 300 minutes'
accounts?

There should be no problem with getting it to work.

My wife calls Malaysia ALOT and it would be a very good deal for her.

You may already have seen SIPDiscount's rates but landline calls to
Malaysia are 0p per minute. They also have advice on how to set X-Lite
up.

Brian.