BT Total Broadband vs BT Business Total

Old January 27th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Y

Default BT Total Broadband vs BT Business Total

As a home based small business, my wife & I, we use the web almost
constantly. We are currently on a BT 2Mb broadband service & are
considering upgrading to 8Mb. However, the small print on the BT Total
(option 3) sign-up Ts & Cs excludes use for businesses. With more
searching BT Business Total Broadband (Option 2) appears to do pretty
much the same.

What's the deal here - is there any issue for a small business using
the BT Total service? What are the risks? What are the benefits of the
business vs home services? What would happen if they realised I was
using it for business. Is my assumption that I am probably already
using the service 'incorrectly' correct?

Thanks

Old January 27th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 27 Jan 2007 10:14:01 -0800, "John Y"
wrote:

As a home based small business, my wife & I, we use the web almost
constantly. We are currently on a BT 2Mb broadband service & are
considering upgrading to 8Mb. However, the small print on the BT Total
(option 3) sign-up Ts & Cs excludes use for businesses. With more
searching BT Business Total Broadband (Option 2) appears to do pretty
much the same.

What's the deal here - is there any issue for a small business using
the BT Total service? What are the risks? What are the benefits of the
business vs home services? What would happen if they realised I was
using it for business. Is my assumption that I am probably already
using the service 'incorrectly' correct?

Thanks

I couldn't answer your query specifically but it is possible that a
home based business would be OK. Many companies separate 'Small Office
and Home ' from business tafiffs. It might be worth phoning BT with a
general query, not mentioning your name, and ask them their policy on
this.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 2nd 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

John Y wrote:
As a home based small business, my wife & I, we use the web almost
constantly. We are currently on a BT 2Mb broadband service & are
considering upgrading to 8Mb. However, the small print on the BT Total
(option 3) sign-up Ts & Cs excludes use for businesses. With more
searching BT Business Total Broadband (Option 2) appears to do pretty
much the same.

What's the deal here - is there any issue for a small business using
the BT Total service? What are the risks? What are the benefits of the
business vs home services? What would happen if they realised I was
using it for business. Is my assumption that I am probably already
using the service 'incorrectly' correct?

Don't know about BT but with cable (telewest) when I requested a cable
conection about 5 years ago questions had to be asked and there was a
lot of head scratching.

Reason was (is) that at our shop has a 3 bedroom flat above it with no
seperate access from the shop. council tax was paid on the flat and
business rates on the shop, but we wanted cable tv in the flat and
broadband in the shop. In the end we told them we wanted all services to
the flat but they'd have to install the modem in the shop as that was
the only computer in the building.
They agreed and that was that.

All I am getting at is if they charge a premium for a "business"
connection but it is going to your home and a domestic service offers
the same then go for the domestic service. In my opinion anything run
from a domestic premisis is domestic use.

How many people have turned to e-bay as a new-found source of self
employment?

I believe the ISP providers "claim" to give business connections the
highest priority for repairs but in reality things rarely go wrong, and
if they do it's something that effects a whole area/region in which case
you just have to twiddle your thumbs until it's sorted regardless of
your business status.

Pete