Newbie Question - about using a DECT SIP phone and port forwarding ?

Old January 28th 07, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

Default Newbie Question - about using a DECT SIP phone and port forwarding ?

Could any kind soul please explain something to a total newbie.

I am considering getting the Samsung C460IP DECT VOIP phone. I already
have an account with voip.co.uk. I believe that the C460IP can be used
with the DHCP server in my ADSL Modem/Router to have an IP address on
my local network dynamically allocated. So far so good.

Having studied this group for some months I see posts about forwarding
some of the usual SIP ports to ATA's like the PAP2. Ports such as 5060
and 5061 seem common. If the Samsung phone obtains a dynamically
allocated IP address, is there still a need for port forwarding from
the router?

I can understand that if I give the Samsung phone a static address
then I can set the port forwarding in my router, but how does this
work with a local dynamic IP?

Thanks for any info.

Roger.

Old January 28th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:07:01 +0000, Roger Baker
wrote:

[...]

These are two different things. On the IP side there is NAT. This is
where the local IP, no matter how it is generated, fixed or DHCP, is
translated to one which will connect you to the internet.
Ports are different. Yes, some may need to be forwarded but these are
not IP addresses. Whatever the method of IP allocation the port
numbers remain the same. If your phone is connecting into your router
then the port forwarding will apply just the same whether the IP is
dynamically assigned or fixed.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 28th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-01-28, Roger Baker wrote:

Could any kind soul please explain something to a total newbie.

I am considering getting the Samsung C460IP DECT VOIP phone. I already
have an account with voip.co.uk. I believe that the C460IP can be used
with the DHCP server in my ADSL Modem/Router to have an IP address on
my local network dynamically allocated. So far so good.

Samsung? Should that not be Siemens?

Having studied this group for some months I see posts about forwarding
some of the usual SIP ports to ATA's like the PAP2. Ports such as 5060
and 5061 seem common. If the Samsung phone obtains a dynamically
allocated IP address, is there still a need for port forwarding from
the router?

The C460IP has support for STUN. Use a STUN server. If the only calls to
be received are on a line registered to voip.co.uk then that makes port
forwarding unnecessary.

Brian.
Old January 28th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

wrote:

I can understand that if I give the Samsung phone a static address
then I can set the port forwarding in my router, but how does this
work with a local dynamic IP?

port forwarding is in general not required as the STUN protocol works
around the NAT.

The phone (Siemens ?) registers to the SIP provider and makes a
connection through the NAT firewall, incoming calls are signalled
through that connection.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old January 28th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:01:20 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

These are two different things. On the IP side there is NAT. This is
where the local IP, no matter how it is generated, fixed or DHCP, is
translated to one which will connect you to the internet.
Ports are different. Yes, some may need to be forwarded but these are
not IP addresses. Whatever the method of IP allocation the port
numbers remain the same. If your phone is connecting into your router
then the port forwarding will apply just the same whether the IP is
dynamically assigned or fixed.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Thanks for the info Brian. The thing that has me confused is that on
my D-Link 504 modem-router it allows me to set up port forwarding.
Basically, it allows me to set any Internet port to forward to a local
IP on my LAN. So, for example, I could set the router to forward any
incoming data on port 5060 to 192.168.0.6, which is my existing PAP2.
I know that a port is not an IP, but I am succeeding in confusing
myself here.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Roger.

Old January 28th 07, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:12:58 +0000, Roger Baker
wrote:

I could set the router to forward any
incoming data on port 5060 to 192.168.0.6, which is my existing PAP2.

you could, but you don't need to. The above would be helpful if
unsolicited data arrived at your IP destined for the PAP2 but isn't
necessary if the PAP2 has STUN running and registered as the data will
arrive in a form expected by the NAT firewall and automagically sent
to the PAP2.

An analogy is a web browser, you don't have to port forward web
traffic to the client PC as it was requested by the browser and comes
as part of an existing session so gets routed accordingly.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old January 29th 07, 07:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:02:17 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

unsolicited data arrived at your IP destined for the PAP2 but isn't
necessary if the PAP2 has STUN running and registered as the data will
arrive in a form expected by the NAT firewall and automagically sent
to the PAP2.

Thank you very much Phil for the insight.

Just one final question. What would be the address and port number of
a good STUN server to use?

Many thansk,

Roger.

Old January 29th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-01-29, Roger Baker wrote:

Just one final question. What would be the address and port number of
a good STUN server to use?

You could ask voip.co.uk whether they have one, but meanwhile there is
stun.sipgate.net:10000.

Brian.
Old January 30th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Roger Baker wrote:
Could any kind soul please explain something to a total newbie.

I am considering getting the Samsung C460IP DECT VOIP phone. I already
have an account with voip.co.uk. I believe that the C460IP can be used
with the DHCP server in my ADSL Modem/Router to have an IP address on
my local network dynamically allocated. So far so good.

Voip.co.uk is a decent service provider.

You don't ever need to do any port forwarding with them. Doing port
forwarding is actually quite likely to mess it up.

Providing your nat/router is fairly standard, it will just work.

Tim
Old January 30th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Roger Baker wrote:

Just one final question. What would be the address and port number of
a good STUN server to use?

Just never ever ever ever use Stun.

It just doesn't help. We've moved on a bit since 2001

Using stun with voip.co.uk will probably break more things than in helps.

Tim