VOIP Calls TO Me

Old January 30th 07, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

Default VOIP Calls TO Me

Bear with me because I am new at this!

Since Skype slapped on their connection charger I have been slowly easing
away from them.
I have a Linksys Sipura ATA that should be arriving tomorrow and have just
signed up with Voip Discount. (No money put in as yet)

Looking around my VoipDiscount control panel I can find no mention of a
number people can dial in to contact me. Is it that I use VoipDiscount for
outgoing calls only and people use my normal BT number to ring in or am I
missing something!

Sorry if I am being thick!

Old January 30th 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
Looking around my VoipDiscount control panel I can find no mention of a
number people can dial in to contact me. Is it that I use VoipDiscount for
outgoing calls only and people use my normal BT number to ring in or am I
missing something!

All of the Betamax companies (including voipdiscount) stopped giving out
incoming numbers some time last year.. This means nobody will be able to
call you in on your VoipDiscount account. If the ATA supports multiple
providers/have multiple ports, perhaps you can set up another
line/provider for incoming calls? I've got this setup, VoipDiscount for
outgoing calls, voip.co.uk for incoming calls.
Old January 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Port Admiral Haynes:
Bear with me because I am new at this!

Since Skype slapped on their connection charger I have been slowly
easing away from them.
I have a Linksys Sipura ATA that should be arriving tomorrow and have
just signed up with Voip Discount. (No money put in as yet)

Looking around my VoipDiscount control panel I can find no mention of
a number people can dial in to contact me. Is it that I use
VoipDiscount for outgoing calls only and people use my normal BT
number to ring in or am I missing something!

Sorry if I am being thick!

Betamax who run VoIPDiscount as well as many others used to issue
VoIP-In numbers, at the moment they no longer issue them, there is a way
around this, if you eMail me I can give you details.

Old January 30th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Port Admiral Haynes has brought this to us :
Bear with me because I am new at this!

Since Skype slapped on their connection charger I have been slowly easing
away from them.
I have a Linksys Sipura ATA that should be arriving tomorrow and have just
signed up with Voip Discount. (No money put in as yet)

Looking around my VoipDiscount control panel I can find no mention of a
number people can dial in to contact me. Is it that I use VoipDiscount for
outgoing calls only and people use my normal BT number to ring in or am I
missing something!

Sorry if I am being thick!

A few choices spring to mind -

Which SPA have you bought? If it's the SAP1001, that's capable of
having two SIP accounts with one phone connected. Simply sign up to
Sipgate & obtain a free geo number and set that up as your second
account.

If you have bought an SPA2101, similar to the SPA1001, except this is
two lines with TWO phones, so not as ideal.

If you've bought an SPA3102, then this would allow incomming calls on
your PSTN line to be answered on your voip line....and you would simply
dial out on either.

You could research the service that Brain A knows a lot about......what
the hell's it called..."VOX something or other"? You can register your
VoipDiscount account & your Sipgate account on their servers & your ATA
uses "VOX Something or other" as it's service provider. That way you
can have any number of incomming/outgoing providers on a single ATA.

Old January 30th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks - It is the SPA101 - I will go and take a look at Sipgate

Old January 31st 07, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:02:50 -0000, "Port Admiral Haynes"
wrote:

"Jono" wrote in message

Thanks - It is the SPA101 - I will go and take a look at Sipgate

Do you mean the SPA-1001 ?
Before you consider Sipgate just go to Google, enter the words
Sipgate problems
in the search box and click 'groups'. I will say no more.
For outgoung calls there are the Betamax providers that have been
mentioned but also, voip.co.uk for UK calls and vyke.co.uk for UK,
Europe and the US. Vyke, like Betamax, does not do incoming numbers.
For incoming you could use voip.co.uk,voipfone.co.uk or voiptalk.org
for example. If you call outside of the US and Europe then consider
looking at foreign providers in addition to those in the UK - massive
list on sipbroker.com.
If you find that you need more incoming/outgoing providers than your
ATA will facilitate you can use voxalot.com. If you decide to go in
that direction then please post back here for help, but, initially,
I'd just try and get the basics up and running.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 31st 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message

Thanks - It is the SPA101 - I will go and take a look at Sipgate

Do you mean the SPA-1001 ?
Before you consider Sipgate just go to Google, enter the words
Sipgate problems
in the search box and click 'groups'. I will say no more.

Now now, Brian.

I cannot remember the last time Sipgate had a problem. Yes, a search
of this group for "Sipgate Problems" will yield a fair few results -
more than most of them will be by a certain individual and not really
a fair representation of their service.

Old January 31st 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
ups.com
On 31 Jan, 11:02, Brian A
wrote:

[snip]

Before you consider Sipgate just go to Google, enter
the words Sipgate problems
in the search box and click 'groups'. I will say no
more.

Now now, Brian.

I cannot remember the last time Sipgate had a problem.
Yes, a search of this group for "Sipgate Problems" will
yield a fair few results - more than most of them will be
by a certain individual and not really a fair
representation of their service.

I suppose I really should stay out of this, but I can't stand by and see a
company given a bad name by proxy as it were. Yes, there have been
problems, but the system is currently very stable, as those who actually
*use* it (rather than just bitch about it) can tell you.

Ivor

Old January 31st 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

andy used his keyboard to write :
On Jan 30, 7:35 pm, Jono wrote:

You could research the service that Brain A knows a lot about......what
the hell's it called..."VOX something or other"? You can register your
VoipDiscount account & your Sipgate account on their servers & your ATA
uses "VOX Something or other" as it's service provider. That way you
can have any number of incomming/outgoing providers on a single ATA.

Voxalot

Ah yes. Struggle /every/ time with that one. Thank you.