Transfer of VOIP number from one provider to another

Old January 31st 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

Default Transfer of VOIP number from one provider to another

I know it seems to now be poular to transfer BT lines to VOIP providers,
(with great effort I understand) can the same be done with numbers on other
VOIP providers?

I currently have an account on Voipfone and would like to move it elsewhere
(if I can find another provider which meets my needs)

The service I get from voipfone is really really good business class VOIP.
would recommend for for incoming business voip line any day of the week.
But I use their call divertion service which is great but use it a lott (to
mobiles) and the charges are high to the mobiles I use (Three 23.5p/min inc
VAT) and my Global Sim a Lichtenstien Mobile at 37/p/minute. when I compare
the rates I can get from lowratevoip (.8p & 15p inc) or some others, I can
seethere maybe scope in saving money elsewhere.

It is quite amazing to see the difference in pricing to some desitination.
Of course you do get what you pay for, which is why I went with voipfone to
begin with and payed for a geographic number. but the difference can be
huge, to call Lichtenstien mobile for example, cheapest was 15p/minute most
expensive was voip.co.uk at 71p/minute even vonage is cheaper

Old January 31st 07, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" wrote:
[...]

If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
an original 3 number.

Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.

I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
found - voipcheap.com

Old January 31st 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 31 Jan 2007 07:08:40 -0800, "Jono" wrote:

On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" wrote:
[...]

Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
provider B instantly.
If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old January 31st 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

On 31 Jan, 13:09, "RH" wrote:
[...]

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.- Hide quoted text -

And as well as those ideas, an IoM numbered roaming SIM can be reached
at the VC tariff..... and Voxalot or Voipbuster callback can be used
with the VC account, though for the latter a different DID provider is
required (try IPKall)

Old January 31st 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Jono" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I were you I would seriously consider ditching your 3 number & get
an O2 number &, if you really need to be with 3, port the O2 number to
them. That way, any calls from VoIP or PSTN providers would be charged
as if you've dialled an O2 number, considerably cheaper than calls to
an original 3 number.

Can't help with the Global Sim, sorry.

I pay around 6ppm to divert calls to my Orange number (terminated
presently on Vodafone) - I use a [insert provider] number for inbound
calls to my Asterisk PBX which in turn forwards calls using the
cheapest provider for calls to mobiles....well, the cheapest I've
found - voipcheap.com

Thanks for comments

I actually use a trixbox server at home, and my plan had been to do the
divertion at my end with trixbox
but have always found diverting an incoming VOIP call out to Mobile via
another VOIP Provider troublesome, it never works correctly (and I gave up)
I always get no audio both ways on the mobile (but if I call in on 2 VOIP
connections on a conference call hosted by the same server I do get audio.
Like many things to do with trixbox I gave up on it, but will try again on a
latest version

Old January 31st 07, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
provider B instantly.
If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

I use Trixbox and a 7960 at home and all atempts at call forwarding fail,
for outgoing calls
I manually make I do use internetcalls.com, but my need is only for call
diversion, which with
voipfone is at server end, so lag time is minimal

Old January 31st 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

RH wrote :
"Jono" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Not sur ethat the laterst version would necessarily fix things! I'm
using the forerunner - [email protected] v2.7 - and it works for me.

If you can sucessfully call a mobile from within your network, you
should be able to forward to it.

If you don't want to be bothered using the Call Forwarding app, include
your mobile number in the ring group, followed by a #. Now any inbound
calls to that group should ring the mobile as well.

Old January 31st 07, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"RH" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If you are considering other hardware options, a FritzBox (www.avm.de/en)
handles call diversion very well. I use the parallel calling feature which
is quite handy as it uses my voipcheap com account. They are expensive
though :-( It also obviously depends on the quality of your internet
connection.

Old February 1st 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Oldie

On Jan 31, 3:54 pm, Brian A wrote:

(snipped)

Hmmm Yes, 5.5p/min is cheap.
If you get a number with voiptalk.org they allow you to transfer the
call to an alternative SIP address - it is all in the user settings -
so if you don't like provider A for incoming calls you can switch to
provider B instantly.
If you are satisfied with incoming calls on voipfone, and I would
agree that they are good, why not stick with them for incoming calls
and just use voipcheap for your outgoing calls. Unless your ATA only
faciltates one outgoing provider there is no need to have the same
provider for both incoming and outgoing calls.

You can redirect incoming calls to Voipfone onwards to another SIP
provider as well - so long as they have peering arrangements. For
instance setting your divert to *472username will forward them to a
Gradwell account.

Oldie