VOIP Calls To Me (Part II)

Old January 31st 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

Default VOIP Calls To Me (Part II)

I have started a new thread to explain what my current set up has turned out
to be and what I want from it.

I THOUGHT I was getting a Linksys SPA 1001 BUT (long story but my son got it
for me!) it turns out I have a Linksys PAP2.

I want to use VoipDiscount as they give me 120 "Free Days" with 300 minutes
per week to Malaysia and Singapore (as well as "Free" Uk calls.) I say free
but you have to pay 10 every 4 months for these.

Anyway I have got the ATA set up and working with my VoipDiscount settings
and made my first few calls out.

To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP phone.
I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number. I have
registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it with this
setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a second phone
in and set that up using my Sipgate details but it would nice to be able to
use the same phone.

Old January 31st 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Port Admiral Haynes" wrote in message

[...]

For that you would indeed need a 1001. Or you could use a 2-line phone
such as the BT Converse 2025 (now obsolete but still available on eBay and
other places).

To use the 2nd port with your Sipgate account, just configure the line
with the required details (use the settings for the Sipura 2000 on the
Sipgate site, they're almost identical).

If you want a Sipgate number to test with, call my speaking clock on
1431320 (PSTN 020 7042 1320).

Ivor

Old January 31st 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones explained on 31/01/2007 :
[...]

Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this situation?

I also seem to remember a haclk for the PAP2 that allows the phone on
Line 1 access calls on line 2.......

Old January 31st 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Ok thanks - I was just hoping I could somehow forward calls to line two
(sipgate) to the phone connected to line one (vopidiscount) without the need
to get a second phone.

Old January 31st 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Jono wrote:
Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this situation?

Indeed it would.. I used a combina-a-line for a while and it works
great.. It just means pushing buttons every now and then.

A combine-a-line combines 2 lines into one phone/line.
Old January 31st 07, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

[snip]

Wouldn't a "combine a line" product work in this
situation?
I also seem to remember a haclk for the PAP2 that allows
the phone on Line 1 access calls on line 2.......

Yes it probably would, but it's messy IMHO. A 2-line phone is far more
convenient and the Converse 2025 allows conferencing of the 2 lines
together with a single button push, which is very useful.

Ivor

Old January 31st 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
meggahurtz

"Port Admiral Haynes" wrote in message
..

When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
just pushing the * key.

I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like remember
how I did it now :s

Old January 31st 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Meggahurtz presented the following explanation :
"Port Admiral Haynes" wrote in message
..

When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
just pushing the * key.

I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like remember
how I did it now :s

Wasn't the method to install the SPA1001 firmware?

Old January 31st 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
meggahurtz

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Meggahurtz presented the following explanation :
"Port Admiral Haynes" wrote in message
..

When I hacked my PAP2 from Vonage I downgraded to a Sipura firmware which
enabled me to access line 1 and 2 from the "Line 1" output on the PAP2 by
just pushing the * key.

I had Sipgate on line 1 and Voipcheap on line 2 but can I hell like
remember how I did it now :s

Wasn't the method to install the SPA1001 firmware?

I think you could be right, then I had a Dial plan I used which had my local
std code which worked perfectly for me.

Don`t know if the Dial Plan had any bearing on using the "*" though...

Old January 31st 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-01-31, Port Admiral Haynes wrote:

To go back to my original question, how do I get calls IN to the VOIP phone.
I now realise the VoipDiscount do not give an incoming number. I have
registered with Sipgate and got a free number. How do I use it with this
setup? There are two phone ports on the ATA and I could plug a second phone
in and set that up using my Sipgate details but it would nice to be able to
use the same phone.

As you have discovered, the great disadvantage of a Sipgate number is
the total lack of control you have over it. Now, if you had a geographic
number you could divert to a phone of your choice you could very easily
solve your problem without purchasing extra equipment or taking a degree
in PAP2 Configuration Management.

Simply point the number to [email protected]_IPort_number. A
static IP would be great. A dynamic IP requires a little more work. If
you are behind NAT open your designated port and direct traffic to the
PAP2.

Where to get such a number? Spend an hour or two with a search engine.
'DID' and 'Direct Inward Dial' as search terms will help. But to help
you on your way there is this:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....e=source&hl=en

You might be interested enough to contact the company mentioned in this
link. Any update in the information given, for example, on cost, control
panel etc, could usefully be posted in this group.

Brian.