Advice on my line stats please.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerry Maple

Default Advice on my line stats please.

I have the below line stats according to my Netgear DG834G

Downstream:
Connection Speed: 3776 kbps
Line Att: 44 db
Noise Margin: 15db

Upstream:
Connection Speed: 832 kbps
Line Att: 12 db
Noise Margin: 13 db

These stats are new and improved. Up until yesterday (when I replaced the
microfilter with a much better faceplate one, I was only getting a maximum
of 2768 kbps connection speed). I am now at 3776 kbps, whih is quite a
improvement I assume.

My question is:
Is this speed likely to increase any more over time, given the Line Att and
Noise Margin figures that I have listed above?

As I understand things, it may take some days for any improvments to show,
is that correct?

The package is an ADSL Max (up to 8mb)

Old February 2nd 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:49:04 -0000, "Gerry Maple"
wrote:

I have the below line stats according to my Netgear DG834G

Downstream:
Connection Speed: 3776 kbps
Line Att: 44 db
Noise Margin: 15db

Upstream:
Connection Speed: 832 kbps
Line Att: 12 db
Noise Margin: 13 db

These stats are new and improved. Up until yesterday (when I replaced the
microfilter with a much better faceplate one, I was only getting a maximum
of 2768 kbps connection speed). I am now at 3776 kbps, whih is quite a
improvement I assume.

My question is:
Is this speed likely to increase any more over time, given the Line Att and
Noise Margin figures that I have listed above?

Yes, but with a Netgear, on anything but a perfect line, this *may*
not be a good thing :-(

It should adjust to the point where your downstream margin is about
6dB, which would give you a fair amount more speed.

But my experience of one particular netgear was that it finished up
with rather optimistic speeds, which then caused rather frequent
disconnections. (margin often showing only 1-3 dB, which is too low to
be stable)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
My hat covers my head... Just like hair used to!
Old February 2nd 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger M

[...]

I am afraid that I can't answer your question but would be very interested
to know the brand of the microfilter faceplace which seems to have effected
this improvement.

TIA, Roger

Old February 2nd 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerry Maple

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Alex,

So how and when would it improve if these figures continue?
OK on the Netgear warning....

GM

Old February 2nd 07, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerry Maple

"Roger M" wrote in message

I am afraid that I can't answer your question but would be very interested
to know the brand of the microfilter faceplace which seems to have

effected
this improvement.

TIA, Roger

ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate
http://tinyurl.com/2aw67n

GM

Old February 2nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:25:19 -0000, "Gerry Maple"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I would expect it to improve over the course of the next few
connections you make.

If you are in the habit of normally leaving it connected 24/7, then
you should probably disconnect (preferably turning the router off) for
a few minutes at least once a day for the next few days.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Microsoft - We put the "backwards" into backwards compatibility.
Old February 4th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerry Maple

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
news
I would expect it to improve over the course of the next few
connections you make.

If you are in the habit of normally leaving it connected 24/7, then
you should probably disconnect (preferably turning the router off) for
a few minutes at least once a day for the next few days.

The connection is datastream (not IP Stream). Does that make any difference
with the auto adjustments?

Old February 4th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:39:19 -0000, "Gerry Maple"
wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
news
I would expect it to improve over the course of the next few
connections you make.

If you are in the habit of normally leaving it connected 24/7, then
you should probably disconnect (preferably turning the router off) for
a few minutes at least once a day for the next few days.

The connection is datastream (not IP Stream). Does that make any difference
with the auto adjustments?

Yes.

Datastream is handled completely differently to IPStream, and I don't
know what the process is for adjusting your speed.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
May you live in interesting times.