Sky and NTL broadband - Printing problem

Old February 2nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alam

Default Sky and NTL broadband - Printing problem

We have NTL broadband with a Belkin's wireless router and also SKY
broadband with a netgear wireless router.
SKY wireless router (netgear) is connected to home telephone line and
NTL wireless router (belkin) is connected to NTL cable.

I have connected a HP printer with JetDirect box to NTL router (via
ethernet cable).

I use either of broadbands based on requirement and am able to switch
between the the two .
When connected to NTL, I can print documents but the problem is How
do
I send a file for printing to HP Printer while connected to SKY
broadband!

Is there a way to send print file from SKY wireless router to NTL
wireless router?

Old February 2nd 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mac

I'm afraid I don't have the answer, but your setup certainly is interesting,
so I'd like to know the answer!

If you don't mind my asking, why have you got such a setup?

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On 2 Feb 2007 04:41:34 -0800, "Alam" wrote:

We have NTL broadband with a Belkin's wireless router and also SKY
broadband with a netgear wireless router.
SKY wireless router (netgear) is connected to home telephone line and
NTL wireless router (belkin) is connected to NTL cable.

I have connected a HP printer with JetDirect box to NTL router (via
ethernet cable).

I use either of broadbands based on requirement and am able to switch
between the the two .
When connected to NTL, I can print documents but the problem is How
do
I send a file for printing to HP Printer while connected to SKY
broadband!

Is there a way to send print file from SKY wireless router to NTL
wireless router?

This will depend on the precise layout and IP address ranges of the
various computers attached to the routers.

Getting the two routers to cooperate usualy isn't so difficult -
the problem is with the fact that connecting them together in a useful
way gives rise to two default routes, which can cause confusion.

I have to ask, *why* do this? Purely for a backup broadband
connection?

Regards,
Harry.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On 2 Feb 2007 04:41:34 -0800, "Alam" wrote:

We have NTL broadband with a Belkin's wireless router and also SKY
broadband with a netgear wireless router.
SKY wireless router (netgear) is connected to home telephone line and
NTL wireless router (belkin) is connected to NTL cable.

I have connected a HP printer with JetDirect box to NTL router (via
ethernet cable).

I use either of broadbands based on requirement and am able to switch
between the the two .
When connected to NTL, I can print documents but the problem is How
do
I send a file for printing to HP Printer while connected to SKY
broadband!

Is there a way to send print file from SKY wireless router to NTL
wireless router?

Sounds like what you need is a dual wan router. Your PC sits on the
LAN side and talks to your printer - which is also on the LAN -
directly. In the meantime both your Sky and NTL go into the two WAN
ports. The router divvies up connections via both ISPs at once. A good
download manager will split your downloads into multiple connections
and the router will load balance between the two ISPs. You can
effectively add the two connection speeds together.

Another possibility is to get another ethernet card and connect NTL to
one and SKy to the other. In this arrangement only one of the
connections will be the "default" route at a time, but you can set up
routes to favourite sites with the route command so that connections
to these go via the "other" interface. Set off two downloads and one
will go via SKY and the other will go via NTL.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Alam formulated :
We have NTL broadband with a Belkin's wireless router and also SKY
broadband with a netgear wireless router.
SKY wireless router (netgear) is connected to home telephone line and
NTL wireless router (belkin) is connected to NTL cable.

I have connected a HP printer with JetDirect box to NTL router (via
ethernet cable).

I use either of broadbands based on requirement and am able to switch
between the the two .
When connected to NTL, I can print documents but the problem is How
do
I send a file for printing to HP Printer while connected to SKY
broadband!

Is there a way to send print file from SKY wireless router to NTL
wireless router?

Yes.

Belkin IP 192.168.1.1
Sky IP 192.168.1.2
JetDirect 192.168.1.3
PC 192.168.1.4
PC 192.168.1.5

Make sure all subnets are the same & with static LAN IPs.

Use gateway address to choose which internet connection to use -
192.168.1.1 for NTL, 192.168.1.2 for Sky.

It won't matter which router your PC is connected to it will still be
able to use the print server.

To change gateway addresses easily, use NetSetMan, a free download.

Old February 3rd 07, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 02 Feb 2007, Jono wrote:

Belkin IP 192.168.1.1
Sky IP 192.168.1.2
JetDirect 192.168.1.3
PC 192.168.1.4
PC 192.168.1.5

I would tend to suggest 10.0.0.xxx (unless one or other router is locked
to 192.168... which would be a nuisance)

To change gateway addresses easily, use NetSetMan, a free download.

Thanks for that mention. Something to try out later.
Old February 3rd 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

NoNeedToKnow pretended :
On 02 Feb 2007, Jono wrote:

Belkin IP 192.168.1.1
Sky IP 192.168.1.2
JetDirect 192.168.1.3
PC 192.168.1.4
PC 192.168.1.5

I would tend to suggest 10.0.0.xxx (unless one or other router is locked
to 192.168... which would be a nuisance)

Yeah? Why?

To change gateway addresses easily, use NetSetMan, a free download.

Thanks for that mention. Something to try out later.

Very useful prog which was recommended to me recently

Old February 3rd 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 03 Feb 2007, Jono wrote:

I would tend to suggest 10.0.0.xxx (unless one or other router is locked
to 192.168... which would be a nuisance)

Yeah? Why?

If I'm trying to help someone over the phone, then I can more easily get
them to do simple things like ' ping 10.0.0.100 ' without having to be
thinking 'what the heck is the IP'. I do not keep miscellaneous trash
in my head :-))
Old February 3rd 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

NoNeedToKnow laid this down on his screen :
On 03 Feb 2007, Jono wrote:

I would tend to suggest 10.0.0.xxx (unless one or other router is locked
to 192.168... which would be a nuisance)

Yeah? Why?

If I'm trying to help someone over the phone, then I can more easily get
them to do simple things like ' ping 10.0.0.100 ' without having to be
thinking 'what the heck is the IP'. I do not keep miscellaneous trash
in my head :-))

Right. I see. There are fewer syllables in 10.0.0.100 than in
192.168.1.1.......I thought you were going to say the network would
perform better.

Old February 4th 07, 03:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 03 Feb 2007, Jono wrote:

There are fewer syllables in 10.0.0.100 than in 192.168.1.1

I know 10.0.0.x with no chance of error, that's all...

I thought you were going to say the network would perform better.

Sorry if I disappointed you, a lot simpler than that

Of course, for larger networks one might choose to use the IPs in a
logical way, to denote building, floor, and unit, as in
10 . {building} . {floor} . {unit} eg 10.1.5.101 10.2.2.222