Old November 16th 16, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Estimating ADSL & VDSL Speeds From Given Distances

Java Jive wrote:

I have been informed that our locality is not going to get FTTC during
the imminent local exchange rollout of it, so I am putting together a
case for bringing FTTC to us.

Not to discourage you but ...

I was speaking to friend last night who left school at 16 to apprentice
with BT and 35 years later still works "on the tools" for them. He says
he often encounters situations where e.g. there's a 100 or 200 pair
cable into a village that gets the VDSL treatment, and then an extra 20
pair cable, serving a handful of houses that is left behind on ADSL,
this can be awkward when neighbours are on different cables.

He's been told off for explaining to frustrated users that all it would
take is the will to install an extra few feet of cable from a pole
carrying the smaller cable to the VDSL cabinet and back, and encouraging
the locals to encourage their county broadband scheme to fund this work.

The planners have planned it and they don't want "helpful" suggestions
like that after it's been installed!

As for your spreadsheet, this page has general graphs and tables of
speeds by distance, obviously it's all variable and depends on cable
quality as well as distance.

http://increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance