Sky Broadband recruits retards to install routers

Old February 2nd 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Default Sky Broadband recruits retards to install routers

Despite Sky Broadband been one of the simplest installation processes out of
all the broadband setups, they offer a paid for installation, an 'engineer'
will come and install etc for 50.

Sky broadband is exceptionally easy to install, because, they only have one
kind of router, that router has the adsl settings hard codes, requireing
very little interaction from the customer.

I got a call today from a customer, who, a few weeks ago, asked me for a
recommendation for broadband, I explained Sky was free as he was a
subsriber, and that their service is pretty good and certainly no worse then
any of the mainstream providers

Customer tells me, he is having problems with his email, i ensure that he is
connected to the internet etc, apparantly he isnt, so we go through the
drama of knocking it on and off etc, we eventually get on, but his emails
wont work, i double check on the phone his email settings, as he reads them
to me.....

He still has problems, and disconnections from the internet....

I go round today, I check the logs (the logs on the netgear provided router
are always a bit flakey, but better then nothing), it show a frequent loss
of connection, despite having quite healthy attenuation and line loss
figures.

I mumble that it is probably something to do with filters, I asked the
customer if he had put filters on all the sockets with phones, he showed me
the router box, with three filters still in their packaging.

I check around, and sure enough, not a single filter anywhere. The router
was connected to the telephone socket using an old style modem cable to bt
end, it had a double socket on the end, exactly the kind that Sky engineers
install when putting your STB in.

I let him know thats the problem, you just forgot to put the filters on,
easy mistake to make.

Then the shocking news, he told me he hadnt installed it, he paid sky 50 to
install it for him...

To top it off, the 'engineer' put the incorrect pop3 server details in for
the emails.

Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.

Heaven help us all....

Gaz

Old February 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Gaz" wrote in message
snip
I let him know thats the problem, you just forgot to put the filters on,
easy mistake to make.
Then the shocking news, he told me he hadnt installed it, he paid sky 50
to install it for him...
To top it off, the 'engineer' put the incorrect pop3 server details in for
the emails.
Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.

That's the problem with foolproof instalations,
they get put in by SKY enginners.

Demand compensation, if nothing else SKY might investigate
why they are paying good money to a moron

Steve Terry

Old February 3rd 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"Steve Terry" wrote:

"Gaz" wrote in message
snip
I let him know thats the problem, you just forgot to put the filters on,
easy mistake to make.
Then the shocking news, he told me he hadnt installed it, he paid sky 50
to install it for him...
To top it off, the 'engineer' put the incorrect pop3 server details in for
the emails.
Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.

That's the problem with foolproof instalations,
they get put in by SKY enginners.

As the saying goes ..

Lots of things are fool-proof, nothing is idiot proof.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old February 3rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
john

"Gaz" wrote in message
[...]

Load of rubbish! It might have been either you or the customer trying to
get it to connect that caused it. He probably had it sent and tried
installing it himself or got a friend to do it. As for the incorrect
details on the computer, it probably wasn't when it was left. Again that is
either down to him messing with it, an expert friend messing it up or you
giving info that was misinterpreted.
If you can prove any of the above then call SKY, don't post it on here as I
know of no other similar case. I can spot so-called experts and people who
mess with settings and cables then say "it wasn't me".

Old February 3rd 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:45:50 +0000, Andrew Sayers wrote:
"Steve Terry" wrote:

"Gaz" wrote in message
snip
I let him know thats the problem, you just forgot to put the filters on,
easy mistake to make.
Then the shocking news, he told me he hadnt installed it, he paid sky 50
to install it for him...
To top it off, the 'engineer' put the incorrect pop3 server details in for
the emails.
Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.

That's the problem with foolproof instalations,
they get put in by SKY enginners.

As the saying goes ..

Lots of things are fool-proof, nothing is idiot proof.

Make something idiot-proof and nature will find you a better idiot.

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
Old February 3rd 07, 01:59 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"john" wrote in message
"Gaz" wrote in message

snip
Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.
Heaven help us all....
Gaz

Load of rubbish! It might have been either you or the customer trying to
get it to connect that caused it. He probably had it sent and tried
installing it himself or got a friend to do it. As for the incorrect
details on the computer, it probably wasn't when it was left. Again that
is either down to him messing with it, an expert friend messing it up or
you giving info that was misinterpreted.
If you can prove any of the above then call SKY, don't post it on here as
I know of no other similar case. I can spot so-called experts and people
who mess with settings and cables then say "it wasn't me".

Let me guess, you work for SKY, or are a BB installer?

Steve Terry

Old February 3rd 07, 02:04 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article ,
Gaz
thought we'd be interested in the following...

[...]

Amazing, how can someone forget to put *any* filters on a broadband
installation? and then jerry rig it up with one of his telephone/modem
cables he uses to connect the skydigibox to the phone line.

Lets examine the subject... OK, done.

So, one incident and you label Sky Broadband installers as "retarded".

Pomposity.

Maybe the engineer had lost a member of his family in a car smash the
previous day, but needed to work to earn money because his ex-wife was
stinging him for maintenance. Perhaps that morning he'd been to the GP
to be told he has terminal cancer. Maybe the /actual/ Sky engineer had
decided to take the day off, and had asked his mate to fill in 'cos
"it's easy mate"..?

Maybe he was just having a really bad day. Maybe he was a 'muppet', even
a retard.

Of course, you have called Sky, explained *nicely* what happened, asked
for them to look into it, and see what they said...?

******** have you.

No, instead, you post your whinge to Usenet and label *all* Sky
Broadband installers as retards. Very droll.

Let me have your details, I just want to make sure no-one I know calls
you in for a job. I'd hate for them to have to pull your head out of
your arse for you.

--
My reply address is invalid.
Please post replies to the group.
Old February 3rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

john wrote:

Load of rubbish! It might have been either you or the customer trying to
get it to connect that caused it.

Well, it might have been the customer, but i know the guy pretty well, he is
totally aware of his lack of technical skills, and doesnt even like
unplugging his phone without checking with BT, never mind remove all the
filters. Remember, the filters where still in the router box, sealed.

As to myself, I have, for the last four years, on a daily basis, installed
adsl broadband, and when necessary installed faceplates. I know how filters
need to be installed.

He probably had it sent and tried
installing it himself or got a friend to do it.

He really has no computing knowledge, and calls me for any technical issues.

As for the incorrect
details on the computer, it probably wasn't when it was left.

That is probabl, however....

Again that is
either down to him messing with it, an expert friend messing it up or you
giving info that was misinterpreted.

That is a possibility for the incorrect pop server, but not for the lack of
any filters.

If you can prove any of the above then call SKY, don't post it on here as
know of no other similar case. I can spot so-called experts and people
who
mess with settings and cables then say "it wasn't me".

Well, i am sure that does happen, but in this situation, I am not so sure,
the guy just doesnt fiddle, if his car makes a noise, he doesnt open the
bonnet to take a look, he takes it to the dealers, and gets them to sort it,
same with everything else.

Why would the filters be still sealed??

Gaz

Old February 3rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Tx2" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
Gaz
thought we'd be interested in the following...

snip
Maybe he was just having a really bad day. Maybe he was a 'muppet', even
a retard.
Of course, you have called Sky, explained *nicely* what happened, asked
for them to look into it, and see what they said...?
******** have you
No, instead, you post your whinge to Usenet and label *all* Sky
Broadband installers as retards. Very droll.

Boy you have taken it personally
I didn't see anyone say "All" Sky installers are morons,
just the ones that are.

Why, are you one that is?

Steve Terry

Old February 3rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article ,
Steve Terry
thought we'd be interested in the following...

Let me guess, you work for SKY, or are a BB installer?

**** me, some **** posted that quicker than I thought....
Dickwad.