Vonage Help required

Old February 3rd 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Carl Waring

Default Vonage Help required

I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In
other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when
I'm speaking. Not sure why.

I've just-about everything on their suggestions list he
http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?art...egory=46&nav=4, except that
there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and there's no way I'm
disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.) The 'port forwarding'
doesn't help either.

http://www.testyourvoip.com/details.html?id=NFLZ98
According to this test I'm getting some 'packet discards' which might or
might not be the problem. What are they?

I'm on NTL's 2mb broadband.

Any help and/or commnents appreciated.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

Old February 3rd 07, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Carl Waring

Carl Waring wrote:
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections.
In other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear
them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

I've just-about everything on their suggestions list he
http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?art...egory=46&nav=4,
except that there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and
there's no way I'm disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.)
The 'port forwarding' doesn't help either.

http://www.testyourvoip.com/details.html?id=NFLZ98
According to this test I'm getting some 'packet discards' which might
or might not be the problem. What are they?

I'm on NTL's 2mb broadband.

Any help and/or commnents appreciated.

Just spoken to Vonage themselves and they have no ideas as everything
checks-out from their end; trace-routes, etc.

Maybe I'm imagining it? ;-)

Old February 3rd 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:26:46 GMT, "Carl Waring"
wrote:

I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In
other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when
I'm speaking. Not sure why.

I've just-about everything on their suggestions list he
http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?art...egory=46&nav=4, except that
there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and there's no way I'm
disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.) The 'port forwarding'
doesn't help either.

I use the same router as you and I get no problem with other services.
I do have port forwarding set up.
Mine is a Version 1,but no version printed on the router label because
it is such an early model.
If forwarding isn't helping you could try DMZ instead with the IP set
to that of your Vonage box.
I trust, btw, that you have the most up to date firmware for your
router, it is certainly worth checking on that, updating is very easy.
If yours doesn't have it then firmware updates also facilitate WPA
encryption.

With Vonage you are paying for premium service. If you are not able
to realise that service then you might consider setting up your own
box where you will have more control and cheaper prices.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 3rd 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Carl Waring expressed precisely :
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although service
is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In other words,
the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when I'm speaking.
Not sure why.

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

Anyway, one way audio is almost certainly an issue at your end.

Try, as Brian suggests, putting your ATA in your router's DMZ.

Old February 3rd 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
Carl Waring expressed precisely :
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

Because they think they are getting a load of extras being with Vonage,
when in fact they are free even with the free VoIP providers, it's part
of VoIP?

Old February 3rd 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:15:52 +0000, J Clavox wrote:

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:27:53 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Because they think they are getting a load of extras being with Vonage,
when in fact they are free even with the free VoIP providers, it's part
of VoIP?

Does voip.co.uk,voipfone.co.uk,BT Homephone,Sipgate,Aldi,etc etc offer
free calls 24 hours a day to support ! I don't think so do they also
provide you with a free 4 port router I don't think so .There are many
things that you get with the Vonage package that you do not get with
any other voip provider lets face it you cannot even speak to
Sipgate's tech support .
Vonage is good but you do have to pay just a little for it and at less
than 50p a day it doesn't exactly need a second mortgage being taken
out to pay for it .

The relative merits of Vonage v other providers has been discussed
many times before. I think that the points you raise sum up the type
of service that some people, usually the less technically inclined ,
may want. However, the OP was not getting the type of telephone
service one should expect from a company like Vonage that is supposed
to provide a premium product.
If Vonage works well then it is good for those people who want that
type of service. Then there are those, like myself, where it would be
a waste of money and it would do no good for my self education in voip
technology. Many people like to set up equipment themselves and get
satisfaction from getting it working, customising it to their own
requirements and being in control of how it runs.
So, you see - if you want just a telephone service, that hopefully
will work OK out of the box, go for Vonage and pay a price for it.
If you want to learn about how it all works and be in full control of
your telephone service you definitely don't go for Vonage. It is
simply horses for courses. There is no right or wrong in this.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 4th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

Mmm, It might be. Rather depends on who is on the other end of the line ;-).

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old February 4th 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Carl Waring

Jono wrote:
Carl Waring expressed precisely :
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.

Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've reached the
conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.

I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :-)

Old February 4th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Carl Waring brought next idea :
Jono wrote:
Carl Waring expressed precisely :
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.

Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've reached the
conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.

I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :-)

Who's a Vonage hater?

I've never used them, so cannot comment - nor have I ever made any
comments about Vonage.

In fact, the bit of my post you snipped pointed you towards a problem
at your end, not at your provider's end.

Old February 4th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Carl Waring:
Jono wrote:
Carl Waring expressed precisely :
I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.

Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've
reached the conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.

I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :-)

For people who make enough phones calls and who hope to have an easy
life, Vonage serves them well.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk