Cable connections - what physical connections

Old February 3rd 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

Default Cable connections - what physical connections

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have just moved into a new flat which has previously had NTL cable,
which I have no intention of using. However, the wall mounted box has
fallen off and there are two cables coming in from outside. One is a
coax, the other is wired directly into a NTL POTS master socket. I had
always assumed that NTL did everything across its coax cables -did
they run separate cables for their phones as well?

I asked them to remove it, but they told me to bugger off since I
wasn't signed up to their service. I'm pretty sure I could have
pressed the point -after all it is their hardware in my house, but I
didn't. I guess I can just pus the cables back through the overly
large hole they drilled in the wall ad let them dangle...

Cheers,

Ben

Old February 3rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have just moved into a new flat which has previously had NTL cable,
which I have no intention of using. However, the wall mounted box has
fallen off and there are two cables coming in from outside. One is a
coax, the other is wired directly into a NTL POTS master socket. I had
always assumed that NTL did everything across its coax cables -did
they run separate cables for their phones as well?

It was combined into one cable shapped like a figure 8 one, side being the
coaxial cable for radio, TV & broadband & the other carrying 2 pairs for
telphoney....

I asked them to remove it, but they told me to bugger off since I
wasn't signed up to their service. I'm pretty sure I could have
pressed the point -after all it is their hardware in my house, but I
didn't. I guess I can just pus the cables back through the overly
large hole they drilled in the wall ad let them dangle...

It could make a good stand by TV aeriel & FM radio aeriel as well so if it's
in the correct place don't get rid until you're sure. It's been over 3
years since I left NTLs clutches & I'm still running my FM radios of the
coaxial feed & if I wanted I could still use it as a TV feed.....

If you want to you can remove all cabling from your property, external as
well as internal, but as I've already said think about it before doing it as
there could be a use for it...

Old February 3rd 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

Ben wrote:
Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have just moved into a new flat which has previously had NTL cable,
which I have no intention of using. However, the wall mounted box has
fallen off and there are two cables coming in from outside. One is a
coax, the other is wired directly into a NTL POTS master socket. I had
always assumed that NTL did everything across its coax cables -did
they run separate cables for their phones as well?

I asked them to remove it, but they told me to bugger off since I
wasn't signed up to their service. I'm pretty sure I could have
pressed the point -after all it is their hardware in my house, but I
didn't. I guess I can just pus the cables back through the overly
large hole they drilled in the wall ad let them dangle...

Cheers,

Ben

Ben

Phone service from ntl:Telewest (soon to be Virgin Media) is supplied as
standard copper pair. They have no obligation to remove any equipment
since you have no agreement with them.

Regards

Chris
Old February 3rd 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll just splice on a bit of extra
cable and route it somewhere out f the way in case, as you suggest, it
is needed. Technically they ought to remove it as it is theirs, not
mine, but on my property, contract or no, but I can well imagine its
far easier just to hide it! The original termination socket was
broken, but I maplin sell a small surface mount coax termination that
should do the job, and I can leave the POTS cable coiled up inside.

Cheers,

Ben

oups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 3 Feb 2007 14:01:59 -0800, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Ben"
wrote:

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have just moved into a new flat which has previously had NTL cable,
which I have no intention of using. However, the wall mounted box has
fallen off and there are two cables coming in from outside. One is a
coax, the other is wired directly into a NTL POTS master socket. I had
always assumed that NTL did everything across its coax cables -did
they run separate cables for their phones as well?

Coax for the broadband & TV, standard 8-core for the phone.

I asked them to remove it, but they told me to bugger off since I
wasn't signed up to their service. I'm pretty sure I could have
pressed the point -after all it is their hardware in my house, but I
didn't. I guess I can just pus the cables back through the overly
large hole they drilled in the wall ad let them dangle...

Simpler and more legal just to point out you're not signed up and
either they remove it, or you will do it for them with a fire-axe.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 4th 07, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 23:20:11 GMT, in uk.telecom.broadband , Chris
Hills wrote:

They have no obligation to remove any equipment
since you have no agreement with them.

Actually, that would be why they /do/ have to remove it. They don't
have your permission to put it there.

Imagine if it were otherwise: I could park my car in your drive and
say "I don't have to move it, we don't have a contract".
--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 4th 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ben wrote:

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I have just moved into a new flat which has previously had NTL cable,
which I have no intention of using. However, the wall mounted box has
fallen off and there are two cables coming in from outside. One is a
coax, the other is wired directly into a NTL POTS master socket. I had
always assumed that NTL did everything across its coax cables -did
they run separate cables for their phones as well?

Yes, the phones aren't on the coax. They physically can't be.

I asked them to remove it, but they told me to bugger off since I
wasn't signed up to their service. I'm pretty sure I could have
pressed the point -after all it is their hardware in my house, but I
didn't. I guess I can just pus the cables back through the overly
large hole they drilled in the wall ad let them dangle...

Whatever.

Graham

Old February 4th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Hills wrote:

They have no obligation to remove any equipment
since you have no agreement with them.

Actually, that would be why they /do/ have to remove it. They don't
have your permission to put it there.

They don't need it. That's how the place was wired already.

Graham

Old February 4th 07, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:21:23 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , Eeyore
wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Actually, that would be why they /do/ have to remove it. They don't
have your permission to put it there.

They don't need it. That's how the place was wired already.

Their agreement was with the *previous owner*. Not with the current
owner. They don't have wayleave.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 4th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

wrote:
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Actually, that would be why they /do/ have to remove it. They don't
have your permission to put it there.

They don't need it. That's how the place was wired already.

Their agreement was with the *previous owner*. Not with the current
owner. They don't have wayleave.

Any permissions they needed will have been granted when the original
installation was requested. The connection was there when you viewed,
and it was a feature of the property that you purchased / rented. If you
didn't want it you should have required that it be removed before
entering into the property agreement.

If the property was rented to you "wired for NTL" and that wiring
becomes damaged during your occupancy, it might at the end of the rental
be incumbent upon you to remedy that damage.

If you purchased the property and come to sell it at some future date,
the NTL access might be a selling point.

On balance, it makes more sense to leave it alone than to waste effort
trashing it.

Denis McMahon