What speed should I be getting?

Old February 4th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Susan Temple

Default What speed should I be getting?

ADSL MAX (UPTO 8MEG)
Connection speed: 4064 kbps
Line Attenuation: 45 db
Noise Margin: 15 db

What download speed should I be experiencing from these figures?

Thank you.
Sue

Old February 4th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 4 Feb 2007, "Susan Temple" wrote:

ADSL MAX (UPTO 8MEG)

Connection speed: 4064 kbps

Line Attenuation: 45 db
Noise Margin: 15 db

What download speed should I be experiencing from these figures?

Depends on a number of factors, really:

1) whether your connection is through BT Wholesale and your ISP,
or some LLU service (where your ISP uses a network separate to
the {widely used} BT Wholesale one). Why is there a difference?

The BT Wholesale network has some speed limiting settings while
it seems other services don't. I don't know the exact speeds but
there's the ATM overhead (the data between the exchange and your
property is at 4064 kbps but includes extra 'bits' which would
enclose the traffic off the internet, so assume 5-10% less for
a start, and take account the BT Wholesale 'stable rate' might
be 256 kbps to 512 kbps below the connection speed, at least)

Perhaps naming the ISP would help...

2) whether you have been on DSL Max for a few days, or some longer
time period... If the former, it might increase in speed, but it
does seem odd that the noise margin is 15 db (because for DSL Max
it is common for the speed to be pushed up until the margin gets
down to about 6 db). If the latter, you might still be limited
to around 2 Mbps for now.

3) whether your exchange is suffering congestion. Might try using
www.samknows.com and search for your exchange name/code and let
us know. There's also an exchange checker on PlusNet which may
report the status, so it's possible to see if BTW plans a fix.