BT VoIP problem, I would like your thoughts

Old February 4th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Evans

Default BT VoIP problem, I would like your thoughts

Dear All
I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT

Details a-
05600 number
ADSL service via Freeola
Linksys WAG54g Router
BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT

Problem is:- (besides BT)
Out going call are fine
Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
unobtainable.
At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
lifted.
From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.

This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
I have my own theory but would like your opinion
Andy

Old February 4th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Andy Evans:
Dear All
I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT

Details a-
05600 number
ADSL service via Freeola
Linksys WAG54g Router
BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT

Problem is:- (besides BT)
Out going call are fine
Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
unobtainable.
At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
lifted.
From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.

This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
I have my own theory but would like your opinion
Andy

I've not tried BT VoIP, but when I've tried other VoIP services the
symptoms you state are ones I've had when I've tried only enabling
certain codecs and my VoIP adapter / service was unable to agree to
using a codec with the calling party, so the call hangs up straight
away, with the unobtainable both ends as you describe.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 7th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
acierinox

On Feb 4, 4:19 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:
Thus spaketh Andy Evans:

Dear All
I have a problem with the broad band voice service from BT

Details a-
05600 number
ADSL service via Freeola
Linksys WAG54g Router
BT Voyager 10V telephone adaptor as supplied by BT

Problem is:- (besides BT)
Out going call are fine
Incomming calls are intermittent, some are fine, most are not.
If you were dialing the 05600 number, you would get ringing tone as
expected. As soon as the receiver is lifted your tone changes to
unobtainable.
At our end the unobtianable tone is present as soon as the receiver is
lifted.
From PSTN lines, failure rate is between 60% and 100%
from mobiles, failure rate is between 30% and 60% rough figure only.

This fault appears to have baffled BT (what a surprise!)
I have my own theory but would like your opinion
Andy

I've not tried BT VoIP, but when I've tried other VoIP services the
symptoms you state are ones I've had when I've tried only enabling
certain codecs and my VoIP adapter / service was unable to agree to
using a codec with the calling party, so the call hangs up straight
away, with the unobtainable both ends as you describe.

Have you tried putting the IP address of the BT Voyager 10V adaptor
into the router's DMZ ? The Linksys router may be blocking various
ports. I had a similar problem with a Linksys BEFSR41 router and
Linksys PAP2 ATA.