Can anyone suggest a good ISP with Static IP

Old February 5th 07, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gav

Default Can anyone suggest a good ISP with Static IP

I am currently with plusnet paying 14.99 for 8Meg with 4GB peak usage. I
would like to have a static IP which means upgrading to the next package at
21.99 with plusnet. However I am considering a move to a different ISP
because I am unable to access teranews with plusnet. I'm after a similar
package to what I am already on but with a static IP, but I don't want to
spend too much because except from Christmas time I'm only at home for 2 or
3 days a week. I've been looking at Eclipse Evolution package for 18.99, can
anybody offer any advice.

thanks

Gav

Old February 5th 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Gav wrote:

I am currently with plusnet paying 14.99 for 8Meg with 4GB peak
usage. I would like to have a static IP which means upgrading to the
next package at 21.99 with plusnet. However I am considering a move
to a different ISP because I am unable to access teranews with
plusnet. I'm after a similar package to what I am already on but with
a static IP, but I don't want to spend too much because except from
Christmas time I'm only at home for 2 or 3 days a week. I've been
looking at Eclipse Evolution package for 18.99, can anybody offer any
advice.
thanks

Gav

I don't understand why you think it will cost you 21.99 to get a fixed IP
address with PN. Broadband PAYG costs 14.99 (with email and webspace
included - 9.99 without) and includes 2GB of peak usage. An extra 2GB will
cost you 1.50 - making 16.49 in all, not 21.99
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 5th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gav

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Gav wrote:

[...]

Must admit I didn't really consider the PAYG, I'm currently on "Broadband
Plus" which is 14.99 with 4GB peak time limit. The next step up from my
current package is the "Broadband Premium" package which would give me a
Static IP plus various other options. PAYG might be ok for me on looking at
it, but I'll still have the issue with accessing teranews.

Gav

Old February 5th 07, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:39:51 UTC, "Gav" wrote:

I am currently with plusnet paying 14.99 for 8Meg with 4GB peak usage. I
would like to have a static IP which means upgrading to the next package at
21.99 with plusnet. However I am considering a move to a different ISP
because I am unable to access teranews with plusnet. I'm after a similar
package to what I am already on but with a static IP, but I don't want to
spend too much because except from Christmas time I'm only at home for 2 or
3 days a week. I've been looking at Eclipse Evolution package for 18.99, can
anybody offer any advice.

Depends what you mean by 'peak'. AAISP do a 1GB peak usage product for
18.99 (AFAIR) but 'peak' to them is office hours, Mon to Fri, download
only. No limits at other times.

And you can have as many static IPs as you want - no extra charge. You
can use Teranews with no problem but there is a free news server too.

http://aa.nu

http://www.voipinside.net

Old February 5th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 5 Feb 2007, "Gav" wrote:

Must admit I didn't really consider the PAYG, I'm currently on "Broadband
Plus" which is 14.99 with 4GB peak time limit. The next step up from my
current package is the "Broadband Premium" package which would give me a
Static IP plus various other options. PAYG might be ok for me on looking at
it, but I'll still have the issue with accessing teranews.

You would not have any problem accessing TeraNews from the PAYG account, but
in answer to you other query, I'm on Eclipse Evolution level 1 for 14.99 and
my traffic is in probably 30 to 40 GB a month, though low in the evenings to
ensure I don't exceed the 20 GB 'peak hours' (1800-0000) quota. Apart from
having use of TeraNews if you still want it you'd also get free access to
GigaNews on Eclipse. You'd need to consider what to do about e-mail (I
use Fastmail.net, which also provides SMTP service on any port, and can
be used from pretty much any connection one can think of... I paid a once
only fee for 'member' level use, rather than any annual fee, but you can
try Fastmail out for free, with IMAP access and no SMTP, as a 'guest').

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 150) Let's beat "United States" :-

Old February 5th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gav

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 5 Feb 2007, "Gav" wrote:

[...]

you know if I'd be able to access GigaNews via other ISP's, 2 reasons why I
have teranews
1. No binaries on plusnet
2. I live at 3 different locations during the week and each has different
ISP. So single news service saves me downloading headers 3 times from
different ISP's on my laptop.

The reason I want a Static IP is to run a mail server at home so e-mail is
not a problem. Another reason that attracts me to eclipse is the fact
switching gives me a free wireless router and mines about past it, but thats
just the cherry on top.

Gav

Old February 5th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ashley

Gav wrote:

The reason I want a Static IP is to run a mail server at home so e-mail is
not a problem.

FYI You could use a dynamic DNS system (eg. dyndns.org) without the need
of a static IP.

Old February 5th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gav

"Ashley" wrote in message
Gav wrote:

The reason I want a Static IP is to run a mail server at home so e-mail
is not a problem.

FYI You could use a dynamic DNS system (eg. dyndns.org) without the need
of a static IP.

Yes I know I've used that in the past, would like to do this implementation
with Static IP though. My router does not behave well with DDNS anyway, got
my account blocked last time because it was updating far too often (works ok
for everything else though).

Gav

Old February 5th 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 5 Feb 2007, "Gav" wrote:

Interesting, so I could possibly save myself the teranews subscription.
Do you know if I'd be able to access GigaNews via other ISP's

Unlike some others (Pipex?) which have username/password for access to the
news service, in the case of Eclipse, it seems to be by IP range that access
is checked, so I suspect you'd be unable to do anything on GigaNews from the
other locations.

Some other news clients (eg Agent) allow for multiple news servers being
used, and you can choose the order of servers for collecting headers,
collecting bodies, and posting, so it would depend on the amount of data
you routinely download (you could switch to the once-only $3.95 TeraNews
account while away from home, and not collect binary groups, and post but
with an advert sig on, then catch up when home from the Giganews server,
for any binaries you want).
Old February 5th 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 05 Feb 2007, I wrote:

I suspect you'd be unable to do anything on GigaNews ...

Forgot to mention www.motzarella.org - a free news service for text
groups, when I was posting earlier. With mozarella for text groups,
you could quite happily post. With the "free" TeraNews ($3.95 setup)
you can d/l 50 MB a day (not much, for binaries, but depends on the
groups you want) but posting would add their advert sig...

[posting this via Motz...]