Two VoIP phones in parallel

Old February 5th 07, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin Evans

Default Two VoIP phones in parallel

Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?

The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
bearing on the implementation.

Old February 5th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

--

That depends upon the service provider.

Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

Old February 5th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Martin Evans" wrote in message
Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?

The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
bearing on the implementation.

I was able to have with my SIPGATE account multiple phones registered at the
same time,
not sure if this was a feature or because all phones had the same account
and same public IP address
I suspect the latter.

Even with a PBX system it depends on the service provider, some providers
VOIPBUSTER ETC only
allow one concurrent session for obvious reasons, where as other on a pay as
you go basis might give several
lines (at least for outgoing calls)

So if you want to be able to make 2 concurrent calls at the same time, you
can do it with an IP PBX with multiple accounts or multiline account

or

Use a a service provider which does the above function server side.
VOIPFONE offers hosted PBX features, but rather than pay a large monthly
charge for a virtual PBX you pay on a per feature basis for example an
extension is 0.99 / month

Old February 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans wrote:
Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line'
or does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?

The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has
any bearing on the implementation.

--

That depends upon the service provider.

Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

With Sipgate you can do the same, have the same phone number on both
devices and make and receive calls on both.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 5th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh RH:
"Martin Evans" wrote in message
Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line'
or does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?

The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has
any bearing on the implementation.

I was able to have with my SIPGATE account multiple phones registered
at the same time,
not sure if this was a feature or because all phones had the same
account and same public IP address
I suspect the latter.

With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and
with the same account details in both, they will both ring when called.
You can both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the other.

Old February 5th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin Evans

On 5 Feb 2007 09:13:39 -0800, "Jono" wrote:

On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans wrote:
Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?

The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
bearing on the implementation.

--

That depends upon the service provider.

Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

The account (single line) is with Gradwell.

Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
192.168.0.4) , or is it?

What I'm hoping to achieve is the Siemens cordless directly connected
to the broadband router (acting as a DHCP server) adjacent to the BT
inlet with the cordless also connected to the PSTN as an alternative.
Along with a wired non cordless phone this serves the main house usage
and gives me both BT and VoIP access.

The Linksys would be remotely located (circa 100m away) adjacent to a
PC already connected to a wireless print server (Netgear WGPS606)
The wireless network is up and running and both phones work ok when
connected individually at the PC end.

This saves me running any cabling (which would be particularly
difficult hence me using a wireless network)

Old February 5th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and with
the same account details in both, they will both ring when called. You can
both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate number
from the one device it will ring the other.

That's interesting.

I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on the
same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've never
tried the latter.

Old February 5th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Martin Evans wrote :

The account (single line) is with Gradwell.

Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
192.168.0.4) , or is it?

Yes.

As far as I'm aware, though, Gradwell charge a little extra for
multi-line services - I could be wrong.....

Old February 5th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world and

with
the same account details in both, they will both ring when called. You

can
both make calls at the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate

number
from the one device it will ring the other.

That's interesting.

I thought so too.

I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on the
same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've never
tried the latter.

I just tried it and can confirm it works (using 2 ports on my DrayTek
2800VG), although I didn't do it from the other side of the world!

Rob

Old February 5th 07, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Rob:
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of the world
and with the same account details in both, they will both ring when
called. You can both make calls at the same time too. If you dial
your own Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the other.

That's interesting.

I thought so too.

I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if they're both on
the same IP, let alone two with same credentials.....though I've
never tried the latter.

I just tried it and can confirm it works (using 2 ports on my DrayTek
2800VG), although I didn't do it from the other side of the world!

Rob

Yeah, it works.

Also you can transfer the call (or have 3-way call) with your other line
simply again by dialing your own number.