Wireless - who's out there?

Old February 5th 07, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy Hammond

Default Wireless - who's out there?

A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see' who is
out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the router, I can't.

Is there any software/freeware that I can add to my pc, that'll add that
functionality? If so, what?

--
Roy
[Surrey, England]

Old February 5th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:15:26 -0000, "Roy Hammond"
wrote:

A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see' who is
out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the router, I can't.

Is there any software/freeware that I can add to my pc, that'll add that
functionality? If so, what?

Not that I am aware of.

Your laptop is not "seeing" the other computers via the router. It is
seeing them directly through its own wireless adapter.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Old February 5th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

:

wrote:

A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see'
who is out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the
router, I can't.

Is there any software/freeware that I can add to my pc, that'll add
that functionality? If so, what?

Not that I am aware of.

Your laptop is not "seeing" the other computers via the router. It is
seeing them directly through its own wireless adapter.

When you say that the laptop can see who's out there, what exactly do you
mean? Do you mean that the other PCs on the network appear in the laptop's
Network Neighbourhood and/or the DOS equivalent "net view"? Do you mean that
the laptop can query the shares that each other PC offers, using NN or "net
view \\pc-name"? Do you mean that the laptop can interrogate the router and
see the computernames and IP addresses of all PCs on the network?

In all these cases, I'm puzzled that these things only work on the laptop
and not on any other PC: a wireless connection should behave identically to
an Ethernet connection as seen by higher-level applications such as the name
service and the netwrok redirector which is responsible for providing shares
and connecting to other PCs' shares. And any PC, wireless or otherwise,
should have the same view of the router's "attached devices".

Old February 5th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"Roy Hammond" wrote in message
A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see' who is
out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the router, I can't.

Is there any software/freeware that I can add to my pc, that'll add that
functionality? If so, what?

--
Roy
[Surrey, England]

Hi Roy, what do you mean exactly by 'see who is out there' ? Do you refer
to other machines on the same domain as you and controlled by your router or
are you referring to other 'wireless domains' you can access that are within
reception range of your laptop?

I cannot make out if the security on your wireless system is being broadcast
as a free to all facility hence all your neighbours and that lad outside is
tapping into your system / free internet access.

You should be able to see who is connected to your router if it is running
DHCP and you do not have any static client IP's set via the DHCP client
table accessed from your routers configuration access.

Gio

Old February 5th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:23:12 -0000, "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote:

:

wrote:

[...]

I assume he means that the wireless networks screen on his laptop
shows other networks as well as his own.

It is the only thing that makes sense in context.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I can see clearly now, the brain is gone...
Old February 6th 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:23:49 +0000, Alex Heney
wrote:

A laptop connected to my router (D-Link G604T) by wireless can 'see'
who is out there. But since my pc is connected by cable to the
router, I can't.

[...]
When you say that the laptop can see who's out there, what exactly do you
mean?

[...]
I assume he means that the wireless networks screen on his laptop
shows other networks as well as his own.

It is the only thing that makes sense in context.

The truth is out there......

Rod.
Old February 7th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roy Hammond

Hi

If I understand your terminology correctly, I'm referring to other 'wireless
domains' that can be accessed that are within reception range of the laptop
and/or the pc.

In other words I want to know what other wireless networks are operating in
my neighbourhood. The laptop on my wireless network is not mine. It's my
daughter's and is very private so I can't (and I don't want to) access it.
However from time to time she complains of poor bandwidth. I suspect that
other wireless networked pcs in our locality are interfering...

So I'm looking for some software (preferably freeware) package that I can
add to my pc (cabled to the wireless router) to give me the ability to
survey my local area for other wireless networks. Can you help me by
identifying such a package?

Regards
Roy

Old February 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Roy Hammond" wrote in message

Hi

If I understand your terminology correctly, I'm referring
to other 'wireless domains' that can be accessed that are
within reception range of the laptop and/or the pc.

In other words I want to know what other wireless
networks are operating in my neighbourhood. The laptop on
my wireless network is not mine. It's my daughter's and
is very private so I can't (and I don't want to) access
it. However from time to time she complains of poor
bandwidth. I suspect that other wireless networked pcs in
our locality are interfering...
So I'm looking for some software (preferably freeware)
package that I can add to my pc (cabled to the wireless
router) to give me the ability to survey my local area
for other wireless networks. Can you help me by
identifying such a package?

Simple, get a wireless adaptor for your own PC.

Ivor

Old February 7th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Roy Hammond" wrote in message
Hi

If I understand your terminology correctly, I'm referring to other
'wireless domains' that can be accessed that are within reception range of
the laptop and/or the pc.

In other words I want to know what other wireless networks are operating
in my neighbourhood. The laptop on my wireless network is not mine. It's
my daughter's and is very private so I can't (and I don't want to) access
it. However from time to time she complains of poor bandwidth. I suspect
that other wireless networked pcs in our locality are interfering...

So I'm looking for some software (preferably freeware) package that I can
add to my pc (cabled to the wireless router) to give me the ability to
survey my local area for other wireless networks. Can you help me by
identifying such a package?

I don't know any software that can do that. The only devices that can detect
wireless networks are wireless adaptors (such as the one in your daughter's
laptop) and (in theory) wireless access points such as the one in your
router.

You could install software such as NetStumbler on the laptop and in theory
the details of the networks that it finds could be accessed from other PCs
on the LAN - if NetStumbler had been written with remote access in mind and
if you have sotware on our PC that could talk to NetStumbler across the
network.

I don't know whether any routers have access points that can be queried to
determine what other networks are out there in addition to the one that it
is broadcasting. There may even be technical restrictions that would prevent
this being possible.

I think you are going to need either to run NetStumbler on your daughter's
PC or else to get a free-standing wireless network detector which provides
the same amount of information as NetStumbler (network name aka SSID, signal
strength, channel). Preferably do a scan with your own network turned off so
its stronger signal doesn't swamp any weaker neighbouring ones. You are
looking for any networks which are on the same channel or channels that are
+/- 2 of your own router's channel. Change your router (if necessary) to a
channel that is not being used by any other networks that you may find.
Ideally, to get maximum immunity from overlapping-channel interference,
there should be only Channels 1, 6 and 11 in use. Certainly you don;'t want
your router set to exactly the same channel as any neighbouring one,
otherwise there may be places around your house where the nighbouring signal
is strong enough to interfere with your router's, causing dropouts of
connectivity. Changing your router's channel will cause any wireless network
connections to be dropped and they will need to reconnect afterwards, but
you will not need to make any configuration changes on the laptop.

Old February 7th 07, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
[...]

.... And monitor the signal strength and neighbouring networks from the
place(s) where your daughter uses her laptop, not just from wherever your
normally use your PC. If your PC is a desktop rather than a laptop, you'll
find it a hassle to move it to your daughter's room; is it less hassle
perhaps to negotiate with your daughter than you need to use her PC to sort
out her problem?