Cannot connect BT modem to my wireless router

Old February 6th 07, 01:00 PM
vinmi2 vinmi2 is offline
Junior Member

Smile Cannot connect BT modem to my wireless router

I have a Linsys wireless router and a BT broad band Connection,

I cannot connect my modem ,to my router and access the internet net thru wifi

The internet is working fine

Only problem is accessing internet thru router

Can anyone pls help me in this

*****************************

Thanks for all the people who replied to my query

I have router only , i have bt provided ADSL modem , i want to have a wireless setup

Last edited by vinmi2 : February 7th 07 at 03:37 PM.
Old February 6th 07, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Cannot connect BT modem to my wireless router

vinmi2 wrote:

I have a Linsys wireless router and a BT broad band Connection,

I cannot connect my modem ,to my router and access the internet net
thru wifi

The internet is working fine

Only problem is accessing internet thru router

Can anyone pls help me in this

Is your router *just* a router (intended for cable) or is it a modem/router,
intended for connection to ADSL?

If the latter, dispense with the modem and simply connect the router's WAN
port to the ADSL output on your master socket or filter. [You will, of
course, have to configure the router to work with your internet connection -
for which a wired (even if temporary) connection to a PC is highly
recommended.]

If the router is intended for cable, it will only have an ethernet input and
not an ADSL input. In this case, it will *only* work with a modem which has
an ethernet output. If your modem is USB only, you're stuffed. By far the
best solution in this case would be to get rid of both the modem and router
and get a decent all-in-one ADSL modem/wireless router.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 6th 07, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"vinmi2" wrote in message

I have a Linsys wireless router and a BT broad band Connection,

I cannot connect my modem ,to my router and access the internet net
thru wifi

Are you trying to connect a modem to your router as you state above ?
(routers generally have asdl modems built in)

Old February 6th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson

On 2007-02-06, Gio wrote:

"vinmi2" wrote in message

I have a Linsys wireless router and a BT broad band Connection,

I cannot connect my modem ,to my router and access the internet net
thru wifi

Are you trying to connect a modem to your router as you state above ?
(routers generally have asdl modems built in)

Routers for ADSL use in the UK have ADSL modems built in since this is
required by the use of PPPoA signaling. In countries where PPPoE is
used instead, people may be used to the router and modem being
separate boxes connected by an Ethernet cable.

I think the original poster may need to invest in a new router, one
with the ADSL modem built in. A router with an Ethernet WAN port
can't be used for ADSL service in the UK.

Dennis Ferguson
Old February 7th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Wheatley

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:10:28 -0600, Dennis Ferguson
wrote:

Routers for ADSL use in the UK have ADSL modems built in since this is
required by the use of PPPoA signaling. In countries where PPPoE is
used instead, people may be used to the router and modem being
separate boxes connected by an Ethernet cable.

I don't understand this. I have a separate DSL modem connected to a
router by Ethernet. Are you saying this shouldn't work for PPPoA?
Old February 7th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Ferguson

wrote:

Routers for ADSL use in the UK have ADSL modems built in since this is
required by the use of PPPoA signaling. In countries where PPPoE is
used instead, people may be used to the router and modem being
separate boxes connected by an Ethernet cable.

I don't understand this. I have a separate DSL modem connected to a
router by Ethernet. Are you saying this shouldn't work for PPPoA?

I don't see how it can, though I'm prepared to be educated. The BRAS
box at the far end of the connection is expecting PPP over ATM
encapsulated frames, but the router connected to the Ethernet has
no way to send them. The modem would need to be doing some pretty
fancy translation to splice these together; I guess this might be
possible, but I've not yet seen a modem which could actually do this.

I've not been in the UK long but the only two arrangements I've seen
used with ADSL here (a USB-connected modem or a router with the DSL
modem built in) are consistent with the constraints of PPPoA as I
understand them.

What model of modem are you using? I'd like to understand how it works.

Dennis Ferguson
Old February 7th 07, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

wrote:

[...]

It is possible to obtain stand-alone ADSL modems. For example
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=554

I haven't read the manual but the key point in the sales blurb is that to
use it with more than one computer one must connect it to a router. I
presume that the modem does not perform NAT so the single computer must have
the IP address issued by the ISP.

Many of the router suppliers offer both ADSL routers and ethernet routers -
but they generally don't offer ethernet-ADSL modems - presumably because the
usual need for an ethernet router is where there is already a cable modem.

--
Graham J

Old February 7th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

[...]

So can a router with an Ethernet WAN connection not be used interchangeably
with an ADSL modem and a cable modem?

Old February 7th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Martin Underwood [email protected] wrote:

So can a router with an Ethernet WAN connection not be used
interchangeably with an ADSL modem and a cable modem?

I don't see why not - provided the ADSL modem has an ethernet output, which
not many do not.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 7th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Martin Underwood [email protected] wrote:

So can a router with an Ethernet WAN connection not be used
interchangeably with an ADSL modem and a cable modem?

I don't see why not - provided the ADSL modem has an ethernet output,
which not many do not.

I thought the gist of earlier postings was that PPPoA (as used in the UK)
would not work. Now I really *am* confused.