Holiday Home Broadband

Old February 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain

Default Holiday Home Broadband

Is there any cost effective way to get broadband into a house that is only
occupied occasionally, for the periods it is occupied?

ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year, in two or
three different periods. I cant see anyone out there that would offer this,
without paying more in enabling than I would save in rental by keeping it
all the time.

As an alternative what would be a cheap light user 512k package cost if I
had to pay all year...

any ideas appreciated...

Old February 6th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

"Iain" wrote in message
Is there any cost effective way to get broadband into a house that is only
occupied occasionally, for the periods it is occupied?

ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year, in two or
three different periods. I cant see anyone out there that would offer
this, without paying more in enabling than I would save in rental by
keeping it all the time.

As an alternative what would be a cheap light user 512k package cost if I
had to pay all year...

any ideas appreciated...

I have just signed up our holiday home with Virgin at 9.99 per month, no
setup fee, free modem, free weekend and evening calls, 3Gb monthly download
allowance, 1Mbps speed. I am going up on Friday to try it out for the first
time. I couldn't find a cheaper deal. Sky isn't an option as they aren't on
that exchange and I have Sky at home so take my digibox with me and
therefore don't need a second 15 per month sub there. HTH. The Virgin
contract is for 12 months and in 12 months time there may be better offers
on the go..

Old February 6th 07, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 6 Feb 2007, "Iain" wrote:

ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year

Depends on the exchange as there is a "PAYG" account from Bulldog, costing
1p/minute, with no monthly fee, offering fixed 500 kbps service.
Old February 6th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Miller

"Iain" wrote in message
Is there any cost effective way to get broadband into a house that is only
occupied occasionally, for the periods it is occupied?

If you need broadband on holiday, you need to get yourself a new resort !

Old February 6th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 6 Feb 2007, "Iain" wrote:

ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year

Depends on the exchange as there is a "PAYG" account from Bulldog, costing
1p/minute, with no monthly fee, offering fixed 500 kbps service.

you are misleading the OP here as the charge is ***from*** 1p per minute, it
is only weekends when you pay this price, evenings are 2p/minute and daytime
is 3p/minute. This means that at an average of 2p/minute you get around 8
hours per week over 12 weeks or 6.25 hours per week over 16 weeks to use up
120, more than this and the Virgin deal at 9.99 per month is considerably
better.
quote from Bullgog website: Our Pay-As-You-Go service gives you superfast
broadband for the price of dial up. There's no monthly fee - you just pay
for the time you are online at the following low rates:

Weekends 1p /minute
Evenings 2p /minute
Daytime 3p /minute

Old February 6th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 6 Feb 2007, "Bryan" wrote:

you are misleading the OP here as the charge is ***from*** 1p per minute,

It was not deliberate... I saw the 1p on the website (I was checking the
account was still shown) without checking the full details... Clearly a
potential user would need to check the small print for themselves, *if*
there was a possibility of using the service, which is unclear without
knowing which exchange serves the property.
Old February 6th 07, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 6 Feb 2007, "Bryan" wrote:

evenings are 2p/minute and daytime is 3p/minute.

It might still be fine for checking e-mail a few times a day, but clearly
one should make sure that they disconnect afterwards, so a router on a
mains time switch (to allow a few minutes every few hours) may be the
best way. Really depends on what the person will be doing, and I posted
to show there were options which had no monthly rental to pay, so if there
was a longer period of non-use, there'd be no outlay.
Old February 6th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

"Bryan" wrote in message

"Iain" wrote in message
[...]

further to the above Virgin offer the same service for 14.99 per month with
NO 12 month contract and no connection fee.

http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/broadband/bundles/

Old February 6th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Iain wrote:
ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year, in two or
three different periods. I cant see anyone out there that would offer this,
without paying more in enabling than I would save in rental by keeping it
all the time.

There will be a reason for that.
Old February 6th 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Iain" wrote in message
Is there any cost effective way to get broadband into a house that is only
occupied occasionally, for the periods it is occupied?

ie might want to enable it for three or four months of the year, in two or
three different periods. I cant see anyone out there that would offer
this, without paying more in enabling than I would save in rental by
keeping it all the time.

As an alternative what would be a cheap light user 512k package cost if I
had to pay all year...

any ideas appreciated...

Yes do a deal with a neighbour to share via Wi-Fi. You pay for the router
and a share of the rental, and then you simply use that when you are there.