Hard drive format

Old February 7th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
embee

Default Hard drive format

Hi,

I'm preparing to reinstall windows on my main desktop (XP Home SP2) because
it's got a lot of conflicts and is very sluggish. I know from previous
experience that this can be a very traumatic experience! However, I'm hoping
that this time I will still be able to access the Internet during the
install, should I encounter problems and need to find the answer online. I
now also run a laptop with a wireless connection to my Belkin router. My
question is - will I be able to use the online connection from my laptop
once windows has been wiped from my main desktop (which is wired to the
router) or will the router lose its connection until the reinstall is
completed and I have reconfigured my internet connection? I'm guessing that
I will lose connection on both computers - and hence will not benefit from
online help during my reinstall :-(

Thanks for any help - and sorry if this is considered a slightly off-topic
post.

Old February 7th 07, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan

"embee" wrote in message
[...]

you should still be able to access the net with your laptop using the
router. Did you never do this before when the other pc was switched off?

BTW how much RAM do you have in the desktop pc? It sounds as if you may need
a bit more especially if the pc is a bit old.

Old February 7th 07, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
embee

"Bryan" wrote in message

you should still be able to access the net with your laptop using the
router. Did you never do this before when the other pc was switched off?

BTW how much RAM do you have in the desktop pc? It sounds as if you may
need a bit more especially if the pc is a bit old.

Thanks for the reply. No I didn't have the laptop last time I reinstalled,
just the desktop - so no chance of having Internet access during the
procedure!.

I have a gig of RAM - enough for most of my needs. The system problems are
unrelated to RAM I believe - after the last Windows reinstall the system
worked really well, fast enough for me anyway. I don't play games and my
most memory-intense process is Photoshop CS2. After the last reinstall,
Photoshop worked fine - but things have really slowed down to the point I
need to blitz the system again. My boot-up time is now about 5 minutes -
compared to less than a minute when I last reinstalled.

Old February 7th 07, 05:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

embee wrote:

[...]

You have a proper router - not a USB modem ?

If it is, the connection simply won't be affected by formatting your desktop
PC's HD.

You really shouldn't need help to install XP + SP2 though. It's child's play
(almost). Just answer the questions and enter the relevant details.

Graham

Old February 7th 07, 05:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

embee wrote:

"Bryan" wrote in message

[...]

Do you by any chance install lots of 'cover CD' crap p[rograms ?

When did you last defrag the hard drive ?

It's *extremely* unlikely XP itself is it fault. I suspect you clutter your
system with rubbish and don't clear it out. Formatting the HD is a very daft way
of fixing that.

Graham

Old February 7th 07, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , embee
writes
[...]

formatting the hard drive on one PC will not affect the programming of
your router

--
dave @ stejonda
Old February 7th 07, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Eeyore
writes

It's *extremely* unlikely XP itself is it fault. I suspect you clutter
your system with rubbish and don't clear it out. Formatting the HD is a
very daft way of fixing that.

An alternative may be to use one/some of the various registry/disk
cleaning programs and certainly regular defragging would be a good idea
but format & reinstall is a sure-fire way of improving things.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old February 7th 07, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
message ...
In message , Eeyore
writes

It's *extremely* unlikely XP itself is it fault. I suspect you clutter
your system with rubbish and don't clear it out. Formatting the HD is a
very daft way of fixing that.

An alternative may be to use one/some of the various registry/disk
cleaning programs and certainly regular defragging would be a good idea
but format & reinstall is a sure-fire way of improving things.

First advice is to uninstall any programmes that aren't needed any more,
removed any spyware (eg using AdAware) and checked Start | Programs |
Startup and the registry for programs that get started automatically.

That *may* speed things up. But in my experience you can still have a PC
which takes ages to boot and/or intermittently runs slowly once it has
booted.

You could try removing and reinstalling any anti-virus or firewall software.
I've seen two PCs which had Norton which had dramatic boot improvements when
I totally removed NIS (including using the Norton Removal Tool from their
website) and then reinstalled it. I think if you upgrade from one version to
another you can get into problems: the manual that comes with NIS is totally
silent about upgrading: it neither says "leave the old version on and let
the new installation overwrite it" nor "uninstall the old version first".

What registry cleaning programs would people use? Which ones are safe? I
tried one (I forget which) and only selected the default options. I ended up
totally knackering the PC and had to restore from the System Restore point
that I'd made as insurance just before running the registry cleaner.

Old February 7th 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"embee" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message

[...]

I found that increasing the RAM to 2GB made CS2 run a lot faster, especially
when working with multiple layers or when using Image Ready at the same
time.

Old February 7th 07, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 01:04:50 -0000, "embee" wrote:

[...]

If it is a router, then it is completely independent of your (other)
computer(s).

It is a small computer in its own right, which runs along quite
happily with no input, and responds to commands you send it via
ethernet and/or wireless.

So re-installing on your desktop PC will make not the slightest
difference to your laptop access.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Reality seems to be a constant intrusion on my dreams!