Caller ID - Another "can it be done"

Old February 7th 07, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Default Caller ID - Another "can it be done"

Trying to work out a method of having something other than an
"international" or mobile no. caller ID from voipcheap.com and a few
ideas hit me.

Firstly I tried sending a verification text to my voipfone free text
mobile number..... still waiting for it to come through.

Then I thought... Why not send a text to the geo. number on my voip
service... chances are it wouldn't take a text, but, our BT line does
recieve text messages, so, though it is no good for me, if anyone has
their BT line connected for incoming calls try enabling text service
(ours is enabled through a function on our DECT phone but I expect it's
easy to do) The send verification text to landline, type in the code
and bob's your uncle....

Well, it might work or it might not. Gotta be worth a go for the few
pence cost of a text!

Any ideas as to whether my logic is flawed?

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Gym Equipment,Fitness Equipment,Supplements
http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Uk's leading WaterRower retailer
Old February 7th 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
[...]

Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification text
to a landline.

Then there is the matter of because often during the day calls are
routed from outside the UK even with a landline number CLID it will on
BT landline still get displayed as international. They same way as if
you use 18185 or 1899 from a UK landline, often due to routing it will
still get displayed the other end as International, even if you are only
calling your next door neighbour.

Since I dumped my landline around 18 months ago and rely just on VoIP as
my 'landline' service I don't get this 'International' call problem when
people call me, my VoIP services display the number even if sometimes
due to routing (all friends and relatives use 18185 or 1899 from their
lines, some VoIP) it gets displayed a 0044..... (Though my DECT phones
still recognize this even with 01... or 02... number programmed and
displays their name). Also when I get calls from people who are outside
the UK I get their CLID displayed.

It's about time BT just let the CLID through and stopped masking it as
International - Though as I no longer have a regular landline that no
longer a problem for me.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 9th 07, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} pretended :
Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification text to a
landline.

Did you miss out n't in the above?

I can't verify my lamdline number as you imply you were......

Old February 10th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} pretended :
Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification
text to a landline.

Did you miss out n't in the above?

I can't verify my lamdline number as you imply you were......

Sorry yeah, I keep doing that, missing the 'n't off words.

Unless any thing has changed you weren't able to send a verification
text
to a landline.

Old February 10th 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
[...]

SMS reception is set to on by default for all landlines (it delivers them as
a voice message so you don't need a compatible phone). This even works for
some/all VoIP numbers.

HOWEVER: you cannot verify landline numbers. Trying to fool the system into
thinking it is a mobile number is hardly likely to work either. They asked
me a couple of times to provide a verified landline or mobile number, I
think to prove land of residence. However they state that VoIP landline
numbers do not count, and indeed, it kicked out my VoIP landline number.
Give it a try by all means, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

Old February 10th 07, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Herman pretended :

SMS reception is set to on by default for all landlines (it delivers them as
a voice message so you don't need a compatible phone). This even works for
some/all VoIP numbers.

HOWEVER: you cannot verify landline numbers. Trying to fool the system into
thinking it is a mobile number is hardly likely to work either. They asked
me a couple of times to provide a verified landline or mobile number, I think
to prove land of residence. However they state that VoIP landline numbers do
not count, and indeed, it kicked out my VoIP landline number. Give it a try
by all means, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

The "Verify" button isn't present on numbers beginning 00441, only
00447