Help - Phone for Orange livebox and BT line

Old February 7th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Help - Phone for Orange livebox and BT line

Hi,

The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
this to....

I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra 5 to upgrade to
8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
give
me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
am
thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
incoming
calls on my standard BT line.

If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
Is this correct?

Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
very expensive.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Lee.

Old February 7th 07, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

On 7 Feb, 09:26, wrote:
[...]

Do you get a SIP address with Orange? - along the lines of

If so, you could obtain a geo number from somewhere like voiptalk and
forward incoming calls to your Orange SIP address.

(I think it's voiptalk that allow you to forward calls to any SIP
address....)

Old February 7th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 7 Feb, 12:54, "Jono" wrote:
On 7 Feb, 09:26, wrote:

[...]

address....)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply.

I don't believe I received a SIP unless there is a standard format
and I just use my broadband username? If I got the number from
voiptalk, would I have to pay for the forward? I know that Orange
charge you per minute to forward calls to that line to another number.

thanks

Lee.

Old February 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

Old February 7th 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

On 7 Feb 2007 01:26:02 -0800, wrote:

I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra 5 to upgrade to
8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't
give
me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I
am
thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take
incoming
calls on my standard BT line.

That's exactly what I do. You'll occasionally want to use the BT phone
for outgoing calls because the internet phone can sound quite gritty
at times. You might also find that a speakerphone doesn't always work
very well. I assume this is something to do with the delay, because I
can usually hear the other person perfectly but sometimes they don't
seem to hear me until I switch the speaker off. If it's important to
make a speakerphone call, you'll want to keep the BT phone for that.

If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
Is this correct?

Yes, you plug any standard BT-type phone into the livebox. The same
kind of phone that you would plug into a wallbox. Corded or cordless,
as you please.

Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
very expensive.

No, another option is simply to use two phones. They can then be used
completely independently of each other.

Rod.
Old February 7th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-02-07, wrote:

Hi,

The folks on uk.telecom thought this would be the best group to post
this to....

I have just moved to Orange and have paid the extra 5 to upgrade to
8mb and their VOIP phone service. The trouble is that they can't give
me a phone number with my STD code so I have an 0845 number. Since
most telecom companies charge a fortune for calling 0845 numbers, I am
thinking of using my Orange number for outgoing only and take incoming
calls on my standard BT line.

I'd be inclined to be forceful with them and get them to change the
allocated/chosen number. Maybe a code in your geographic area is not
available but, unless that is important for you, surely they have codes
for other areas?

Thinking on: it's pathetic that a major telecoms concern cannot provide
full coverage of the UK number range when much smaller VoIP companies
can.

If I understand the livebox correctly, it performs the VOIP client
functionality (all I need to do is plug a normal phone into the box)
so therefore I can't use a standard VOIP phone in this configuration.
Is this correct?

You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one he

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop...ter-Components

Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.

Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

Does this mean that my only option is to get a 2 line phone? If so,
are there any inexpensive digital cordless phones I can use? I have
checked the posts here for 2 line DECT phones and the solutions seem
very expensive.

No. Here is another option. There is a Livebox forum at

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

You want to be looking for '2-line switch'.

Disadvantages: You pay about 25 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
Advantages: Over the first option? None that I can see.

Brian.
Old February 8th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 2007-02-07, wrote:

Hi,

[...]

To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
they apparently support 2 lines at about 200 for base station + 2
handsets then 60 per handset afterwards.....

Old February 8th 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-02-08, wrote:

On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian wrote:

[Snip]

You wouldn't replace the normal phone with a VoIP phone/ATA. But a SIP
ATA could solve your problem. There is a suitable one he

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop...ter-Components

Connect its line input/output and its ethernet port to the Livebox. Get
a geographic number. Set up the ATA to accept calls on that number.

Disadvantages: You pay 27 GBP and let Orange off the hook.
Advantages: You can use VoIP providers other than Orange.

[Another snip]

To be honest, I don't know enough about this space to know whether the
ebay item would work or not. The broadbandbuyer forum was great and
seems like there are a couple of options but people are having
difficulty getting it working correctly with a switch box.

There is another forum at www.thinkbroadband.com but it may not add much
to what you already know.

The ATA off Ebay is intended to connect to the PSTN by pressing # on the
telephone handset. I am informed that works. If that port is connected
to the Livebox instead one would expect to be able to make outgoing
calls. Receiving incoming calls to a geographic number should definitely
work. If it didn't you would have grounds for returning the unit.

In contrast to the so-called 'intelligent switch' the ATA is a more
saleable item if you were not happy with it. Sourcing it from the UK
should also mean quicker delivery.

The second option was to use Dectsys phones with a base station as
they apparently support 2 lines at about 200 for base station + 2
handsets then 60 per handset afterwards.....

You are seeking a technical solution to a problem caused by Orange's
lack of provision of a geographic number. 25 GBP or so to work round
that may or may not be more tempting than tackling them over it.

Brian.
Old February 8th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 2007-02-08, wrote:

On 7 Feb, 16:07, Brian wrote:

[Snip]

[...]

I have been banging my head against the Orange brick wall and all I
get is "we will get the franchise in our area at some point and will
change you over then". I haven't checked but ironically, I assume
they will charge me 10p per minute to call my home number because it
is an 0845 number!!! Customer service from them is poor

Old February 9th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Kirk

You can change your Orange number 4 times in the member centre control panel
for free.
There is a list of UK dialing codes to choose from.
Although your local code is not available now is would be better to be on
another
01 or 02 code for now.