router for poor quality line

Old February 7th 07, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Heaven

Default router for poor quality line

Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can sync on a poor
quality line.

The line is in a rural area and has both low SNR and high attenuation.
We have had BT out several times to check the line, but they say it's the
best they can do.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Old February 8th 07, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Steve Heaven wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can sync on a poor
quality line.

The line is in a rural area and has both low SNR and high attenuation.
We have had BT out several times to check the line, but they say it's
the best they can do.

Thanks in anticipation

Draytek released a different firmware update for the longer line problems,
but they're not cheap, unless you can get your hands on a 2600 going cheap..

Old February 8th 07, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_spam_chriswillsher.co.uk

I also live a long way from the exchange - some 9 Km. I only managed
to get broadband of any sort at all when ADSLMax started last year. I
treied various bits of kit from friends and the ONLY router that
synchronised from those I tried was a Netgear DG834. The Draytek 2600
with long line firmware failed. Mine is not wireless but that one
works as well. Nothing else worked including the BT engineer's own
test kit. I have had a reliable service since last May. Admittedly
the speeds are not brilliant but it sure beats dialup. I synchronise
between 6-700 usually. Attenuation shows the maximum that the router
can support i.e.63. SNR goes from an occasional high of 7 down to as
low as 1 at times but it works!

Old February 8th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

wrote:

Steve Heaven wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can sync on a poor
quality line.

The line is in a rural area and has both low SNR and high attenuation.
We have had BT out several times to check the line, but they say it's
the best they can do.

Thanks in anticipation

Draytek released a different firmware update for the longer line problems,
but they're not cheap, unless you can get your hands on a 2600 going cheap..

I have a 2600+ (still under warranty) which I used successfully for
almost a year on a bad line. If you want it, make me an offer (plus
postage)

Lorenz

Email:

usenet
at lorenz
dot clara
dot co
dot uk

[L.]
Old February 8th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 08 Feb 2007, "[L.]" wrote:

If you want it, make me an offer (plus postage)

Why not put it on Ebay, set a reserve (if you want, but if so, please
have a sensible starting price, say 80% of your reserve) and let it
go to whomever wants it. If you get a sale on Ebay. we'll not see
any more posts about it... which would be a relief, for me at least!

I guess previous offers have been too low for you to accept (in which
case, best give some minimum you will accept, else you waste your time
posting about it every few weeks/months when a similar query comes up).
Old February 8th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

wrote in message
I also live a long way from the exchange - some 9 Km. I only managed
to get broadband of any sort at all when ADSLMax started last year.
treied various bits of kit from friends and the ONLY router that
synchronised from those I tried was a Netgear DG834. The Draytek
2600
with long line firmware failed. Mine is not wireless but that one

I have an attenuation of 57 db (so not THE longest line) but I agree
with the above. On my line I have tried a Draytek 2600, a BT Voyager
2090, a SpeedTouch and a NetGear DG834N. I had seen various posts
recommending the Draytek and SpeedTouch for "bad" / "long" lines, and
advising that NetGear were not good.

In my experience the NetGear is by far the best. On a BT MAX
connection it synced at 34xx meaning I maintained a 3 MB BRAS profile
(most of the time). The Draytek would only manage about 24xx (even
with their "long line firmware"), the SpeedTouch a little better but
not much. I am now on SKY LLU and NetGear syncs at 37xx, and holds the
connection solidly - no drops in weeks.

Of course this is only my personal experience, but the NetGear is
working great for me.

-Jon.

Old February 8th 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:47:26 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 08 Feb 2007, "[L.]" wrote:

If you want it, make me an offer (plus postage)

Why not put it on Ebay, set a reserve (if you want, but if so, please
have a sensible starting price, say 80% of your reserve) and let it
go to whomever wants it. If you get a sale on Ebay. we'll not see
any more posts about it... which would be a relief, for me at least!

I guess previous offers have been too low for you to accept (in which
case, best give some minimum you will accept, else you waste your time
posting about it every few weeks/months when a similar query comes up).

I'm awfully sorry if the messages I posted about the 2600+ being
available have bothered you.

ebay could indeed be a solution, but as a matter of fact, I have never
sold anything on ebay, and I'm having more than enough on my plate
right now to learn how to do it.

Also, I am not that desperate to sell it. Having a second router as a
standby in case of problems with my main one gives me a fuzzy feeling
of reassurance. So I was offering it more as a service to the OP than
anything else.

Again, please accept my apologies.

Lorenz

PS Would

Author: =\[L.\] and body: (2600 & (sell|sale))

help you? It should probably work.

[L.]
Old February 8th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

I have a BT "Business Hub" (aka 2Wire 2700) that syncs at 2.4 meg on noisy line.
No drops.

I tried Draytek 2800 but it could only manage 1.6 meg

There's loads of these 2700's on ebay 'cos BT give them away - and there some generic firmware that
allows you to us it with other ISPs - mail me if you want it.

Never tried netgear...

Adam

--Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old February 9th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Steve Heaven" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can sync on a poor
quality line.

The line is in a rural area and has both low SNR and high attenuation.
We have had BT out several times to check the line, but they say it's the
best they can do.

I use a Speedtouch 510 - because the 'Frog' always used to have a good
reputation in this respect.

I would suggest connecting the router to your master socket, and connecting any
downstream extension wiring via a Microfilter or filtered faceplate.

--

Michael Chare

Old February 10th 07, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

"Steve Heaven" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can sync on a poor
quality line.

The line is in a rural area and has both low SNR and high attenuation.
We have had BT out several times to check the line, but they say it's the
best they can do.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

I am in a similar situation, and like a couple of your respondents I have
found a Netgear DG834 to be OK. I also tried a Draytek 2800 with all the
available firmwares, but it never synced at all over test periods of days at
a time. The Netgear typically takes a few hours to sync from switch-on -
usually after a mains failure (I try not to switch it off otherwise!).

On ADSLmax from zen, the Netgear reports downstream rates between 160 and
288 Kbps, 63 db atten., noise margin zero to 12 db depending on the weather
(worst when hot & sunny - sometimes loses sync then for a few hours) and
upstream is always 448 Kbps, 15 db atten., noise margin 12 - 13 db.

HTH

Trev.