Stale ADSL Plusnet

Old February 7th 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

Default Stale ADSL Plusnet

My broadband with plusnet got slower and slower over the past few days
until eventually I could not connect.
Rang plusnet did the ping tests "destination not reached" and the
conclusion your man came to on the end of the phone was stale
connection, he said that although there was a connection at both ends
data was not travelling along the line.

How is this sorted?

Old February 7th 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 7 Feb 2007, "Richard" wrote:

How is this sorted?

A disconnection and reconnection. However, before you switch anything off
(hopefully you have a router, rather than a USB modem - if a USB modem, it
might possibly have 'gone to sleep'), you might want to check which of the
different gateways you are connected to (visit the User Group 'tools' site
at http://usertools.plus.net/ and on the lower left side you should see
'Gateway Checker').

The Gateway concerns the 'fat pipe' connection from thousands of properties
to the ISP (many go on BT connections, but some use the Tiscali network as
an alternative). If you take a note of which one you are on, then you'll
be able to see if you get the same symptoms (and if it is the same g/w,
when you reconnect). If you get the same gateway, you might want to
try powering off for 10 or 15 minutes and reconnecting, to see if you
go onto one of the other ones... It might be worth keeping a note so as
to have some record if you keep getting problems. However, it might also
be worth checking on the service status reports, as there have been others
commenting on slow-downs...

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 150) Let's beat "United States" :-

Old February 7th 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

On 7 Feb, 12:20, NoNeedToKnow wrote:
On 7 Feb 2007, "Richard" wrote:

[...]

I have tried powering down my router for 1 hour re connected, same
problem, i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.

Old February 7th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Richard wrote:

i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.

Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

Old February 7th 07, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.

Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

Old February 7th 07, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.

Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

And if it's a line fault probably not resolve that either.

If any of the posters in this thread have ticket IDs then I can take a
quick peek and see if anything can be done to prod things in the right
direction.

Kind Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! ------
Old February 7th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

On 7 Feb, 13:35, PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.
Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

And if it's a line fault probably not resolve that either.

If any of the posters in this thread have ticket IDs then I can take a
quick peek and see if anything can be done to prod things in the right
direction.

Kind Rgds,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! ------

ticket ID: 21262407 is this sortable in house, or is it back to BT.

Old February 7th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.
Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

And if it's a line fault probably not resolve that either.

If any of the posters in this thread have ticket IDs then I can take a
quick peek and see if anything can be done to prod things in the right
direction.

Hey Bob.

My problem was indeed a sort of 'line fault' ( actually a BT RF2 filter on the
line ) but Plusnet *refused* to involve BT despite me regularly requesting them
to do a physical check.

As soon as I changed ISP they called out BT for me and the fault was identified
in 5 minutes ( literally ).

Because the broadband customer of an ISP can't call out BT to do this check
themselves, they have to rely on the ISP to do this.

Graham

Old February 7th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:35, PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.
Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.
It was solved by moving to another ISP.
Graham
That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

And if it's a line fault probably not resolve that either.

If any of the posters in this thread have ticket IDs then I can take a
quick peek and see if anything can be done to prod things in the right
direction.

Kind Rgds,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to Internet! ------

ticket ID: 21262407 is this sortable in house, or is it back to BT.

Richard,

Doesn't look like a BT fault to me if I'm honest, but it's certainly a
weird one. I've responded to your ticket anyway with a couple of
suggestions and will take another look tomorrow for you.

Kind Rgds,

Old February 7th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:35:31 +0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Richard wrote:
On 7 Feb, 13:04, Eeyore
wrote:
Richard wrote:
i have contacted plusnet they are looking into it.
Yes, they 'looked into' my problem for a whole 2 months.

It was solved by moving to another ISP.

Graham

That sound about right, I have been a month with problems, the trouble
is switching ISP will put another 2 weeks on it minimum.

And if it's a line fault probably not resolve that either.

If any of the posters in this thread have ticket IDs then I can take a
quick peek and see if anything can be done to prod things in the right
direction.

Kind Rgds,

Why do you think it may be necessary, or permissable, to "prod things
in the right direction"?

Surely if someone reports a fault to their ISP they are rightly
entitled to expect that it will be dealt with as a mtter of course. I
would imagine that this happens by someone following the processes in
place.

Are you telling us that Plusnet has no process in place to resolve
faults/problems and that its customers must rely on you picking things
up on this NG and "prodding them in the right direction"?

Not really what people expect of a supplier is it?
--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply