VoIP - How many outgoing calls possible?

Old February 7th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Moore

Default VoIP - How many outgoing calls possible?

Hi,

I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many simultaneous
outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?

Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous calls
would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?

Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1 call
at a time on a single account?

Cheers

--
Rich

Old February 7th 07, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ross Beer

Richard Moore wrote:
Hi,

I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many
simultaneous outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?

Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous
calls would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?

Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1
call at a time on a single account?

Cheers

Hi,

The number of outgoing calls would depend on your provider, many only
allow one call at a time on their service.

Just remember to choose a service that allow multiple incoming/outgoing
calls.

Regards

Ross
-----------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost Support
W:www.voicehost.co.uk
Old February 7th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ross Beer formulated the question :
many only allow one call at a time on their service

When you say many, which do you mean?

I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
standard PSTN line.

Old February 7th 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Ross Beer formulated the question :
many only allow one call at a time on their service

When you say many, which do you mean?

I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
standard PSTN line.

I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
guessing this pretty common for services
which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay
as you go or billed calling its in
the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

Old February 8th 07, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Moore

"RH" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Ross Beer formulated the question :
many only allow one call at a time on their service

When you say many, which do you mean?

I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
standard PSTN line.

I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
guessing this pretty common for services
which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay
as you go or billed calling its in
the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

I've got a 'free' VoIP account from EntaCall that I've been familiarising
myself with. When I tried to make two outgoing calls on the same SIP trunk I
got an EntaCall recorded message saying the line was already in use.

I think the difficulty for me is in wading through all the small print of
the providers and trying to understand what they offer. They don't seem too
keen to publicise how many calls can be made at once when using an Asterisk
based system.

--
Rich

Old February 8th 07, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

RH was thinking very hard :
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Ross Beer formulated the question :
many only allow one call at a time on their service

When you say many, which do you mean?

I have many, many providers set up on my asterisk server & the only
provider that doesn't allow more than one call at a time is BT - on my
standard PSTN line.

I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
guessing this pretty common for services
which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or pay as
you go or billed calling its in
the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use -
voipcheap.com & internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

Old February 8th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Richard Moore wrote:
Hi,

I have setup a TrixBox (Asterisk) and was wondering how many
simultaneous outgoing calls are possible per SIP trunk?

Would it be 1 outgoing call per SIP trunk, meaning that 4 simultaneous
calls would require 4 trunks (and maybe 4 separate VoIP accounts)?

Or are there VoIP account packages that allow you to place more than 1
call at a time on a single account?

Cheers

In Trixbox you tell it how many calls to limit a trunk to (maximum
channels). Most VoIP service providers allow you to place lots of
simultaneous calls through one account, you'll have to ask your provider.

The last (but usually most common) limiting factor is your Internet
connection speed. Most VoIP calls (using g711a/u codecs) need roughly
90kbps in either direction so if you have a connection with 256kbps
upstream speed you can only realistically get 2 calls at once through
it, especially when you consider that you're sharing it with normal
Internet traffic.

Old February 8th 07, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I am
guessing this pretty common for services
which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as or
pay as you go or billed calling its in
the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use - voipcheap.com &
internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

I think RH's experience must be limited to the Betamax softphone.
I have always enjoyed multiple concurrent outgoing calls on
voipcheap.com and multiple incoming calls on voipcheap.co.uk
(I signed up when they were still providing geo numbers)

The same applies with my Sipgate numbers, ie multiple
inbound and outbound calls on the same account.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old February 8th 07, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Graham:
I know the Betamax services only allow one connection at a time, I
am guessing this pretty common for services
which offer unlimited calling plans based on monthly fees, where as
or pay as you go or billed calling its in
the interest of the provider to allow as many calls as possible

That doesn't seem to apply to the Betamax products I use -
voipcheap.com & internetcalls.com, nor voip.co.uk, Sipgate etc.

I think RH's experience must be limited to the Betamax softphone.
I have always enjoyed multiple concurrent outgoing calls on
voipcheap.com and multiple incoming calls on voipcheap.co.uk
(I signed up when they were still providing geo numbers)

The same applies with my Sipgate numbers, ie multiple
inbound and outbound calls on the same account.

Same here with Sipgate and VoIPStunt (also VoIPBuster, SipDiscount and
VoIPCheap) all which I have incoming numbers on.

Old February 8th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

Richard Moore wrote:

I've got a 'free' VoIP account from EntaCall that I've been
familiarising myself with. When I tried to make two outgoing calls on
the same SIP trunk I got an EntaCall recorded message saying the line
was already in use.

I think the difficulty for me is in wading through all the small print
of the providers and trying to understand what they offer. They don't
seem too keen to publicise how many calls can be made at once when using
an Asterisk based system.

Richard,

This is because you have a prepay account. If you can get a postpay
account you will be able to make multiple simultaneous calls.

Regards

Jon