AOL Broadband with a Netgear DG834GT Wireless Router

Old February 8th 07, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default AOL Broadband with a Netgear DG834GT Wireless Router

Hi all,

How can I get a DG834GT router working with AOL. I don't believe this
"AOL don't support it" - AFAIK the router has a username and password
and you must be able to get it to work.

We have over 50 users who we provide ADSL with Zen Internet, but this
one user has his own AOL account so I offered to try and get him
working with that (so his family can use the home PC and he can use
his work laptop).

I found somewhere the DG834G is supported. I have got other AOL users
connecting via modems and routers (can't remember the model numbers).

I have tried his AOL screen name and email address (i.e., FredBloggs
and and Fred Bloggs) with his password which I have
verified and the Netgear gives the following status:

Connecting to Server: Failed
Negotiation: LCP is allowed to come up... LCP down
Authentication: CHAP authentication failed

I have the configurable ADSL settings as PPPoA and VPI=0 and VCI=38.

There is a configuration tool for the DG834G which didn't seem to
change anything on the router. I may give that another try. There was
also something about the screen name needing to be a member 18+
account (or something like that). He doesn't know if it is or not.

If I can't get this to work, I can put a Speedtouch modem and then the
company may have to pay for a seperate BT line and Zen Internet! I
don't really want to risk getting a DG834G modem as this may not work.

I see the benefits and AOL offers with its ease of setting up for
Computer Users-Non Technical and the content and protection is good
for families, but I hate the way the program takes over your PC and
doesn't allow easy modification to its configuration! Help!!

TIA,
Mat G
Birmingham, UK

Old February 8th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have since found out a bit of info about AOL - (http://
info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqHomeNetworking.adp)

It uses PPPoE and MTU & MRU should be set to 1450 and MSS to 1410. I
think a those settings are auto-configurable, but the PPPoE was where
I was going wrong. Username should be too.

I'll give this a go and hopefully get him working unless anybody has
any other things worth trying.

Thanks,

Mat G
Birmingham, UK

Old February 8th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

wrote in message ups.com...
[...]

By AOL don't support it, they mean AOL support don't support it because
they don't have a script to read from for it, quite frankly no great loss.
If he does ever need to ring support he could tell them it is a dg834g, hopefully
the browser interface is similar.

He can create and amend screen names using this link:-
https://names.aol.co.uk/names.adp

The master screen name will have 18+ rating, but it might be a good
idea to set up a 18+ screen name for the router.
for requirements see:-
http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqH...g.adp#answer03

The AOL configuration utility sets the router to AOL's recommended settings
PPPoE with LLC encapsulation and VPI=0 and VCI=38 and the MTU set
to 1450.

I however prefer to use PPPoA with VC-Mux and VPI=0 and VCI=38 and
the MTU set to 1430. (I have a BT connection, I guess it is possible these
setting might not work on an AOL unbundled connection)

The router username should be his

If his AOL adsl account works when used with an AOL modem and AOL's
software, but not with a router, then it is possible that the @aol.com
ISP domain name may not have been set up on his account.
They managed to omit it after regrading some customers a few months ago,
myself included.

If you suspect this is the case, change the router settings to use PPPoE LLC
with an MTU of 1400. (required for the alternate modem isp domain)

And try the following (modem) username in the router, replacing screenname
with the actual screen name and use the normal password.

aolnet/aol.dsl.screenname.10460001001000030001GB6183.0000 .prod

Note while this should establish a PPP conection you will not be able to
access the internet without running aol software. So you'd have to get on
to AOL support.

Old February 9th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:12:37 -0000, "Mel"
wrote:

By AOL don't support it, they mean AOL support don't support it because
they don't have a script to read from for it, quite frankly no great loss.
If he does ever need to ring support he could tell them it is a dg834g, hopefully
the browser interface is similar.

He can create and amend screen names using this link:-
https://names.aol.co.uk/names.adp

Does this link generally work with non-aol browsers? I just tried it
but cannot connect (server taking too long to respond-type error
message).

Lorenz

[L.]
Old February 9th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

wrote:

By AOL don't support it, they mean AOL support don't support it because
they don't have a script to read from for it, quite frankly no great loss.
If he does ever need to ring support he could tell them it is a dg834g, hopefully
the browser interface is similar.

He can create and amend screen names using this link:-
https://names.aol.co.uk/names.adp

Does this link generally work with non-aol browsers? I just tried it
but cannot connect (server taking too long to respond-type error
message).

Lorenz

[L.]

Yes, I don't have any AOL software installed on my PC.

Chances are it only works from your AOL connection,
it doesn't work while using the aol proxy (uk.proxy.aol.com).

Old February 12th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for all your help. I'll give the various things a go when I
next pop round and should be able to get it working!

Cheers,
Mat G
Birmingham, UK