NTL/Virgin Media broadband SNAFU

Old February 8th 07, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
alexander.keys1

Default NTL/Virgin Media broadband SNAFU

Virgin Media have just taken over my broadband Internet service from
NTL, and
it's not working very well.

Firstly it takes several attempts to launch Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express, someti
sometimes my PC has to be rebooted, and Interent access is generally
sluggish.

(Something has also happened to Google which is causing this text to
be mangled
I have to press the return key at the end of each line or else text
does not appear,
in fact the right hand part of the screen is obscured).

Also I can't reliably access my e-mail, I received an e-mail in
Outlook with a link
to the Virgin Media homepage, which I am supposed to use to access my
e-mail f
from now on, this asks me to sign in then links to another page, which
asks me to
sign in again, then goes back to the previous one.

Anybody know how to get it working, or will I have to change to BT ( I
also get
telephone service from NTL, and I've been having problems there too,
such as no
entry in the BT directory or even Directory Enquiries, they don't have
my number.
No 1571 service either.)

NTL/Virgin's faults line is busy, I've tried phoning them.

Old February 8th 07, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Mark McIntyre

On 8 Feb 2007 13:40:49 -0800, in uk.telecom.broadband ,
"alexander.keys1" wrote:

Virgin Media have just taken over my broadband Internet service from
NTL,

actually they haven't - ntl have renamed themselves Virgin Media...

Firstly it takes several attempts to launch Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express, someti
sometimes my PC has to be rebooted, and Interent access is generally
sluggish.

(Something has also happened to Google which is causing this text to
be mangled
I have to press the return key at the end of each line or else text
does not appear,
in fact the right hand part of the screen is obscured).

All this sounds far more like a problem with your PC, your ISP can't
affect how your browser displays data.

Anybody know how to get it working, or will I have to change to BT ( I also get
telephone service from NTL, and I've been having problems there too,
such as no entry in the BT directory

:-)

--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 8th 07, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"alexander.keys1" wrote:

[...]

AIUI; there is _not_ a 'BT directory anymore.
Ofcom are the publishers of a book that (is supposed to) contains all the
phone numbers that are not ex-directory. This book is called 'The Phone
Book' and is distributed to each subscriber once per year. This task is
'huge' requiring databases, printing, distribution capability, etc, etc.; so
OFcom puts the job out to tender . The Ofcom contract -to produce the 'Phone
Book' has been won by a telco trading under the name _BT_ . it may look like
a BT directory, it may feel like a BT directory ... but it's no longer the
BT directory ... it's 'The Phone Book".

--

Brian

Old February 8th 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Phil L

alexander.keys1 wrote:
Virgin Media have just taken over my broadband Internet service from
NTL, and
it's not working very well.

Firstly it takes several attempts to launch Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express, someti
sometimes my PC has to be rebooted, and Interent access is generally
sluggish.

As per the other reply, this is a problem local to your PC and not your
ISP...have you done a virus scan with up to date definitions?, likewise a
spyware scan, again with up to date definitions?

(Something has also happened to Google which is causing this text to
be mangled
I have to press the return key at the end of each line or else text
does not appear,
in fact the right hand part of the screen is obscured).

Also I can't reliably access my e-mail, I received an e-mail in
Outlook with a link
to the Virgin Media homepage, which I am supposed to use to access my
e-mail f
from now on, this asks me to sign in then links to another page, which
asks me to
sign in again, then goes back to the previous one.

on the virgin page, you are supposed to use the drop down list for whichever
ISP you use, they are Virgin, NTL, Blueyonder, when you click these, you go
to a login page

Please don't go to BT, they are a bunch of ******s of the highest order

Old February 8th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Brian Sharrock:
"alexander.keys1" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and for years have been listing cable line phone numbers for those
who didn't request not to.

Old February 8th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Mike Roebuck

On 8 Feb 2007 13:40:49 -0800, "alexander.keys1"
wrote:

Virgin Media have just taken over my broadband Internet service from
NTL, and
it's not working very well.

snip

It's working fine here, no problems whatsoever.
--
Regards

Mike
Old February 8th 07, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Mike Roebuck

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:04:41 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

AIUI; there is _not_ a 'BT directory anymore.
Ofcom are the publishers of a book that (is supposed to) contains all the
phone numbers that are not ex-directory. This book is called 'The Phone
Book' and is distributed to each subscriber once per year. This task is
'huge' requiring databases, printing, distribution capability, etc, etc.; so
OFcom puts the job out to tender . The Ofcom contract -to produce the 'Phone
Book' has been won by a telco trading under the name _BT_ . it may look like
a BT directory, it may feel like a BT directory ... but it's no longer the
BT directory ... it's 'The Phone Book".

True. I get that here.

However, I too have an NTL phone, and my number is not, and never has
been listed in it.

--
Regards

Mike
Old February 8th 07, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

AIUI; there is _not_ a 'BT directory anymore.
Ofcom are the publishers of a book that (is supposed to) contains all the
phone numbers that are not ex-directory. This book is called 'The Phone
Book' and is distributed to each subscriber once per year. This task is
'huge' requiring databases, printing, distribution capability, etc, etc.; so
OFcom puts the job out to tender . The Ofcom contract -to produce the 'Phone
Book' has been won by a telco trading under the name _BT_ . it may look like
a BT directory, it may feel like a BT directory ... but it's no longer the
BT directory ... it's 'The Phone Book".

Were that so, it's unlikely that BT would be allowed to have their
corporate logo on the front, or be "copyright British
Telecommunications"...

--
Frank Erskine
Old February 8th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Terry W.

"Phil L" wrote in
k:

snip

Please don't go to BT, they are a bunch of ******s of the highest
order

snip

I have been with BT for telephone AND as my ISP for the last six years.
I have had precisely 2 (TWO) days without service in that 6 years !!!

Not bad for a "bunch of ******s" !!!

Please operate brain before putting fingers to keyboard.

Terry W