Any experience with fritzbox on a long/noisy line?

Old February 9th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Lipscombe

Default Any experience with fritzbox on a long/noisy line?

has anyone had experience of the fritzbox sync performance on noisy and/or long lines?

I am think of buying one but my line is far from ideal, and I don't want something that will only
sync at a very slow rate.

TIA - Adam
Old February 9th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
has anyone had experience of the fritzbox sync performance on noisy and/or
long lines?

I am think of buying one but my line is far from ideal, and I don't want
something that will only sync at a very slow rate.

TIA - Adam

Can't give you any advice based on experience of low sync speeds or indeed
ADSL connection ( I have a fairly good cable 4mb connection). However, I
believe that you will be OK for VoIP if you have at least 100k up and
downstream, as the QoS on the FritzBox appears to be better than others.
This may mean you have slow speeds for low-priority traffic, but this is how
QoS should work of course.

It is also particularly good at maintaining SIP registration. All other
ATAs I have tried give up trying to re-register if they fail a set number
of times. FritzBox appears to keep on trying every few minutes.

Perhaps the solution is getting one from somewhere that will allow you to
take it back if you are not happy with its performance.

Old February 9th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anon E Mouse

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
has anyone had experience of the fritzbox sync performance on noisy
and/or long lines?

I am think of buying one but my line is far from ideal, and I don't want
something that will only sync at a very slow rate.

TIA - Adam

The Fritzbox is a Texas Instruments AR7 based router. This chipset has a
good reputation with long lines and noise especially when connected to a
TI based DSLAM
Old February 9th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John G1JOD

Last year I tried the Fritzbox 7050 on my 5KM line and it wouldn't hold the
connection, dropping in and out of sync. Updated the firmware tried
everything to get it to work. AVM were extremely helpful as well as
broadbandstuff.co.uk, who I would highly recommend for there customer
support.
Of course this issue may have now been resolved and the problem sorted.
It was a great shame as it was perfect for my set-up, I already had several
ISDN phones and it integrated seamlessly with the PSTN and several voip
providers. By far the best solution I have found at a reasonable cost.
My line was 1mb and the snr using a Linksys router about 12, so was a real
test for any adsl modem, however all the ones I have tried have all synced
OK and held the connection.
Maybe someone else can give some further advice and advise if things have
improved.
The user interface is brilliant! On a good line it would be a brilliant
device.

John

Old February 10th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

In message , Anon E Mouse
writes
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
has anyone had experience of the fritzbox sync performance on noisy
and/or long lines?
I am think of buying one but my line is far from ideal, and I don't
want something that will only sync at a very slow rate.
TIA - Adam

The Fritzbox is a Texas Instruments AR7 based router. This chipset has
a good reputation with long lines and noise especially when connected
to a TI based DSLAM

I've had one running for about 4 weeks with no discernible difference
from the router previously supplied by my ISP (Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C)

I've a 1MB ADSL line about 5km from the exchange and I am in Spain.

FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7140 Annex A, Firmware version 39.04.20

Receive
direction Send direction
Attainable data rate Kbit/s 1496
664