Recommendations for best 2meg ISP please?

Old February 10th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy F Batter

Default Recommendations for best 2meg ISP please?

I've been with Pipex for years, and am paying ~23 pcm for their Solo1000
1meg service.

I live in a remote location, but can now get 2meg from my local exchange.

Can anybody please recommend a good reliable ISP who can offer me a better
deal than Pipex? I only need 2meg service, so don't really want to be
paying for 8 when I can only use a quarter of that bandwidth.

Not worried about a phone calls package, we don't chat much. I do some P2P,
maybe 20gig a month including uploads with torrents and the like. Don't use
newsgroups, have never got the hang of Newsbin. :-)

Any pointers?

TIA

Andy

Old February 11th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

On 10 Feb, 12:53, "Andy F Batter" wrote:
I've been with Pipex for years, and am paying ~23 pcm for their Solo1000
1meg service.

I live in a remote location, but can now get 2meg from my local exchange.

I've been with Plusnet since 2002, and though have been some service
issues in past in the main very happy.
Try

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...e=broadbandtab

#Recently taken over by BT but not as expensive as them.

Old February 11th 07, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Feb 2007, "Gel" wrote:

I've been with Plusnet since 2002, and though have been some service
issues in past in the main very happy.

Unfortunately, given some of the other info from the original poster...

I do some P2P, maybe 20gig a month including uploads with torrents and
the like. Don't use newsgroups, ...

Plus.Net, with it's varying traffic management, might not be a suitable way
forward. Broadband Plus is severely 'managed', while Premier also seems to
be that way, at present. The PAYG account (even at the basic 14.99/month
level) *might* serve the OP's needs, but will depend a lot on when their
computer(s) can be online... With PAYG, there's an included 2 GB/month
allowance in the 14.99 fee. That's for use at 'peak time' which is, for a
PAYG user, from 0800 to 0000 (ie 16 hours a day). One of the "plusses" for
PAYG has so far been the availability of uncounted traffic from 0000 to 0800
(though I'd try to schedule traffic from 0100 to 0800 in case the monitoring
systems clock any of it as being pre-0000, because of the reporting methods)
so if the torrent traffic can be easily fitted into night time slots, this
would prove a relatively cheap alternative.

Eclipse has a 14.99 account (Evolution level 1) which has an allowance of 20
GB/month in 'peak hours' (1800 to 0000, ie 6 hours a day) and a 'fair use'
policy the rest of the time, so my 30 to 40 GB a month doesn't all have to
be scheduled into 'off peak' (though 18 hours a day is quite handy as it
means I can use most anything I want, morning noon and night, just that
I often do other things of an evening, so don't use the peak hours as much
as someone doing a 9 to 5 job and then using the net only in the evenings.

Evolution accounts are at 4 tiers, with the 14.99 being the lowest priority,
but when I want to use streaming audio and video (even at 2000 when it is a
peak period for internet use) I have not had any problems so far, in at
least 6 months of use. Seems that some take note of those criticising
Eclipse on web discussions and the heavy users s*d off elsewhere, to
Zen, Xifos, Aquiss, and Sky :-) Suits me fine.

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 150) Let's beat "United States" :-

Old February 12th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

Zen. End of.
Old February 12th 07, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Steve Olive wrote:
Zen. End of.

Zen no longer offer a 2 M account to new customers. Up to 8 meg or
256K. Excellent ISP though. More expensive than the OP is currently
paying.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old February 13th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Olive

Old Codger wrote:
Steve Olive wrote:
Zen. End of.

Zen no longer offer a 2 M account to new customers. Up to 8 meg or
256K. Excellent ISP though. More expensive than the OP is currently
paying.

Yes, I was ignoring what he thought he wanted, and recommending one of
only a few ISP's worthy of the name.
Old February 13th 07, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Steve Olive wrote:
Old Codger wrote:
Steve Olive wrote:
Zen. End of.

Zen no longer offer a 2 M account to new customers. Up to 8 meg or
256K. Excellent ISP though. More expensive than the OP is currently
paying.

Yes, I was ignoring what he thought he wanted, and recommending one of
only a few ISP's worthy of the name.

Ah, you have my full agreement then. :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field