Linksys SPA2102

Old February 10th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BC

Default Linksys SPA2102

I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.

Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
tone?

If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.
Old February 11th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

On Feb 10, 9:21 am, BC wrote:
I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.

Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
tone?

you could change your settings to not leave the phone off the hook :-)

If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
ringing tones when
calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

Phil

Old February 11th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

PhilT formulated the question :
I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
ringing tones when
calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

Really?

I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
not the provider....?

I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
no ringing on Sipgate "lines"

Old February 11th 07, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
PhilT formulated the question :
I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
ringing tones when
calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

Really?

I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
not the provider....?

I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
no ringing on Sipgate "lines"

No problems here with people not hearing the ring back when calling my
Sipgate number from a BT line or any other line for that matter.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 11th 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

On Feb 11, 2:41 pm, Jono wrote:

I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
not the provider....?

nope. You get a ringing tone before contact has been made to the
device. I suspect the ring tone is generated by the BT exchange (its
always the same ring tone on a BT line) in response to some status
indication from the provider - I think its the latter that goes titsup
occasionally and the exchange is waiting to be told what the score is
(engaged etc) and remains silent pending the notification.

I've had silent calls dialling a Sipgate number and had people sound
surprised "oh you are there, it wasn't ringing". Not a high proportion
of calls but not zero either.

It may be something around voicemail signalling falling over too, the
device is engaged (off hook) so it diverts to voicemail and that
doesn't respond.

Its one of those intermittent things you can never quite pin down and
often a redial solves it anyway.

Phil

Old February 11th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

BC wrote:
I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.

Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
tone?

If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
change the following setting under the LINE tab:

Call Waiting Serv:

Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.
Old February 11th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Scope:
BC wrote:
I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook
but not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any
tones at all and number unobtainable message is generated from
Virgin mobile. Is it possible to change any settings so that callers
receive an
engaged tone?

If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone
whilst I get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
change the following setting under the LINE tab:

Call Waiting Serv:

Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.

That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 11th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone for
long before dialing the numbers?
Old February 11th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BC

PhilT wrote:

I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
ringing tones when
calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

Phil

No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone. With landlines if
a phone is off the hook then someone calling that number receives the
busy tone, with my Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate number
gets no tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.

If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me know if you get
the same thing.
Old February 11th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Scope:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting
on or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this
happens not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone
for long before dialing the numbers?

Usually only the second or so that it takes to dial the number (input
number first then press dial), but several times someones tried calling
in that split second.