BT line repair strategy

Old February 11th 07, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default BT line repair strategy

My ductless underground cable has been causing problems for the 3 years I've
had it. There's a physical fault with the underground cable but BT has
chosen to swap pairs instead of fixing the problem - the other pair is now
playing up.

The second pair was recently fixed - almost inevitably a temporary fix
according to the engineer. The engineer explained to me that he is a
self-employed contractor who is used by BT to fix line problems and is only
paid if the problem does not reoccur within 1 month of being repaired!

I think there's something very wrong with BT's approach to addressing
problems with DSL connections - the cheapest and least effective repair is
preferred over the most effective repair. ADSL - or at least BT's exchange
based implementation of it - depends upon good quality lines to the
exchange. Yet there is no desire to replace 20 metres or so of 30 year old
ductless copper wire which is clearly causing a problem. BT has also managed
to shunt responsibility for fixing the problem on to an engineer who is
denied the ability to authorise the needed work but is also not paid unless
the problem is fixed!

My neighbours enjoy rock solid 6Mb+ connections yet I am luck to obtain
2.5Mb max (and only then after line problems have stabilised for 3 days).
BT's threshold for responding to service speed problems is obscenely low -
less than dual bonded ISDN iirc.

Will I have to embrace Satan's yeast infection (NTL - now Virgin bloody
Media) in order to obtain the promise of a decent service?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Gareth.

Old February 11th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim!

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:08:07 -0000, "Gareth"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you've got DIG cable .... to replace that with a new duct
and new cable BT will be charged something like 80 per metre by their
contractors. With your own estimate of 20metres that would a 1600
charge to replace a single working circuit ....... (assuming that it
is only your house that is fed by this DIG cable).

Can't see BT spending that amount to be honest ... if your cable were
to provide service to other properties then it might be different.

Also (consider this in the equation) .. BT have a 1000 threshold for
providing new service (ie 1000 is the maximum spend to provide a
customer with a new telephone service) - so again I can't see them
spending 1600 on a fault.

If you were to lay the duct for them, I'm sure they would provide the
cable & drawrope The actual jointing process wouldn't take very
long ...

Who knows though ...

Cheers

Jim!
Old February 11th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

wrote:

[...]

This seems to come within the now widely re-defined use of the phrase
customer service. Provision of a service to a customer now comes a poor
second to making money for its shareholders and large bonuses for its
directors - irrespective of benefits (if any) they bring to the business.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway

Old February 11th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , Bill Ridgeway
writes
This seems to come within the now widely re-defined use of the phrase
customer service. Provision of a service to a customer now comes a poor
second to making money for its shareholders and large bonuses for its
directors - irrespective of benefits (if any) they bring to the
business.

BT are a disgrace, my dad is having problems with his line, nothing to
do with computers, voice only, it's been reported 4 times since the
middle of January the last time on Thursday, pleas that as an 89 year
old he relies on his phone haven't helped as it's still listed as under
investigation today.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old February 11th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 11-Feb-2007, Fred wrote:

My neighbours enjoy rock solid 6Mb+ connections yet I am luck to obtain
2.5Mb max

Are they on the same cable?
If so it has at least one good pair.
What's the phone quality like?
Old February 11th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian G

Michael Swift wrote:
In article , Bill Ridgeway
writes
This seems to come within the now widely re-defined use of the phrase
customer service. Provision of a service to a customer now comes a
poor second to making money for its shareholders and large bonuses
for its directors - irrespective of benefits (if any) they bring to
the business.

BT are a disgrace, my dad is having problems with his line, nothing to
do with computers, voice only, it's been reported 4 times since the
middle of January the last time on Thursday, pleas that as an 89 year
old he relies on his phone haven't helped as it's still listed as
under investigation today.

Mike

Get the local paper involved - especially if they have a reporter who
investigates this sort of thing and files a weekly column on consumer
affairs - or if you live in Wales, contact a TV program called the Ferret at
HTV Wales

Old February 12th 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Fred wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Capitalism and The Market, mate!
Ya can't beat it.

Especially since it was so badly run under public ownership.

Gaz

Old February 12th 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

wrote:

[...]

It wasn't badly run - it was run as a public service.

The copper line infrastructure is still the same one being used today for
residential and most business customers (more or less). An UK private
business wouldn't be capable, in terms of short term shareholder interest,
of creating such an impressive infrastructure. Maybe in Japan.

The sad thing is that in the 21st century ADSL/DSL broadband availability in
the UK depends upon the quality of 40 year old plus copper cable wiring and
the consequent accident of geography. The privately owned BT has shown no
willingness, in the interests of profit, to develop a decent (by west
European standards) residential fixed line data network. ****, it isn't even
possible to have ISDN and DSL on the same line in the UK. It's an expensive
joke.

Gareth.