Why does Tiscali line speeds not agree with BT's

Old February 11th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Why does Tiscali line speeds not agree with BT's

I have just tested 12 numbers on my street to find that only one of them
agrees with Tiscali. According to BT most lines are good for 4 to 5meg, but
according to Tiscali these lines are only good for 2Meg. What is going on?
Are Tiscali telling lies? Are BT telling lies? Who is right and how come
the two databases don't tally with each other.

Is Tiscali making out that lines are good for only 2meg when infact they are
capable of much more?

Why do BT and Tiscali not agree on line speeds?

Old February 11th 07, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve wrote:

I have just tested 12 numbers on my street to find that only one of them
agrees with Tiscali. According to BT most lines are good for 4 to 5meg, but
according to Tiscali these lines are only good for 2Meg. What is going on?
Are Tiscali telling lies? Are BT telling lies? Who is right and how come
the two databases don't tally with each other.

Is Tiscali making out that lines are good for only 2meg when infact they are
capable of much more?

Why do BT and Tiscali not agree on line speeds?

Where do you get these Tiscali numbers from ? URL please.

Graham

Old February 11th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Where do you get these Tiscali numbers from ? URL please.

Graham

Read it again..........

Old February 11th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Steve wrote:
I have just tested 12 numbers on my street to find that only one of
them agrees with Tiscali. According to BT most lines are good for 4
to 5meg, but according to Tiscali these lines are only good for 2Meg.
What is going on? Are Tiscali telling lies? Are BT telling lies?

Why should either be telling lies?

Who is right and how come the two databases don't tally with each
other.

Is Tiscali making out that lines are good for only 2meg when infact
they are capable of much more?

Why do BT and Tiscali not agree on line speeds?

Do Tiscali offer a MAX product?

Peter Crosland

Old February 11th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Steve wrote:
I have just tested 12 numbers on my street to find that only one of them
agrees with Tiscali. According to BT most lines are good for 4 to 5meg, but
according to Tiscali these lines are only good for 2Meg. What is going on?
Are Tiscali telling lies? Are BT telling lies? Who is right and how come
the two databases don't tally with each other.

Is Tiscali making out that lines are good for only 2meg when infact they are
capable of much more?

Why do BT and Tiscali not agree on line speeds?

Maybe Tiscali have not unbundled your exchange and/or only offer upto
2Mbps products, perhaps utilising BTwholesale DataStream?
Old February 11th 07, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Feb 2007, "Steve" wrote:

I assume you are in the process of registering "private-address.org"

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Where do you get these Tiscali numbers from ? URL please.

Read it again..........

and reading it again, one can still ask where the Tiscali service "says" the
line is only good for a lower speed. Some web link?

I assume you are aware that in the past, Tiscali has handled network links
in a different way to many other ISPs.

Firstly, it had been getting BT Wholesale to set the connection speed to
2000 kbps but within the Tiscali network it could reduce a connection to
some lower speed, depending on the account / payment from the user.

(I had a connection, served by Tiscali's network, but through another
ISP. The sync speed at my router was 2272/288 while I was actually on
a service to provide me with 1000 kbps downstream.)

Secondly, Tiscali has been installing its own equipment at exchanges. Since
there will be some fixed speed for traffic from their kit back to their own
network centre(s), they may currently be limiting the speed of connection
for end users to 2 Mbps, rather than increasing the link speed from the
exchange to homes, but then only being able to deliver higher speeds for
some users, for part of the day (when total demand at that exchange is low).
They're perhaps better telling users not to expect higher speeds (until the
infrastructure from the exchange back to the NOC can cope) or they disappoint
lots of users. The line from the exchange certainly might be capable of a
higher speed, but what's the point, if the link from the exchange cannot
cope?

Options include switching ISP or putting up with it, in all honesty!

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Old February 11th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Where do you get these Tiscali numbers from ? URL please.

Graham

Read it again..........

You're not making sense.

Graham

Old February 11th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve wrote:

I have just tested 12 numbers on my street

What do mean by that ?

Graham

Old February 11th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Feb 2007, Paul Cupis wrote:

perhaps utilising BTwholesale DataStream?

I thought one option on BTW DataStream is a "Max" product, anyway.

Could it be that Tiscali has plans to put their own kit in place (so a change
would add costs for them, and they'd prefer to just put their kit in)?