Testing a Sky BB line/connection

Old February 12th 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Testing a Sky BB line/connection

Hi folks.

I'm not on SKY but have to help out a relation next weekend who isn't
getting the speed expected.
Things are complicated because he has very old cabling in the house and
can't easily move his modem to the master socket or do any speed tests
via wireless to his laptop as it is a work one and he can't load
necessary software to make the various speed tests work.

I am going up there with my Dreytek 2600 modem which has a spectrum
analayser built in.
With that I can usually see what packets are coming down the line and
the line stats and should be able to do that without actually
'signing-in' to SKY.
Presuamably I can also tell if he is on a BT service or fully
'unbundled' to Easynet backbone.

I know there has been loads of talk here about using non-sky modems but
I have missed most of that.

If I want to try my modem to actually connect to SKY, how do I find out
the 'username' and 'password' as I seem to recall they are pre-set in
the modem they send you?

Also can I access the modem via the usual 192.168.1.1 to switch on/off
the wireless if he wants that and set up encryption?

I should say I am quite good at this stuff normally but SKY seems to be
a bit 'odd'.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old February 16th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth R Halfacree

m wrote:
If I want to try my modem to actually connect to SKY, how do I find out
the 'username' and 'password' as I seem to recall they are pre-set in
the modem they send you?

Access the router via http://192.168.0.1 and login with username admin
and password sky. Once logged in, enter the following URL:

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=pi...ww/netgear.cfg

Then access and save http://192.168.0.1/netgear.cfg

That'll contain the username and password for setting up a third party
router for Sky broadband.

Also can I access the modem via the usual 192.168.1.1 to switch on/off
the wireless if he wants that and set up encryption?

It's 192.168.0.1, username admin password sky.

--
Gareth Halfacree http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
"If Ace Books ever came out with an edition of The Bible, both books