New rules on MAC codes from tomorrow.

Old February 13th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default New rules on MAC codes from tomorrow.

From 14th February 2007 new mandatory rules apply regarding the isse of MAC
codes. Full details on the OFCOM website but a summary below.

Broadband Service Providers must supply a MAC on request within 5 working
days

Providers must accept a MAC where a customer provides a valid one. This does
not prevent a provider from refusing to supply a service to a customer for
other business reasons (e.g. credit worthiness, etc.)

The provider is not allowed to charge for issuing a Migration Authorisation
Code

Compulsory issuing of a MAC only applies to connections for consumers or
small businesses (with less than 10 employees)

The provider cannot withhold a MAC for the purposes of debt collection, or
for contractual reasons

Where a customer requests a MAC inside their minimum contract period the
customer will still be liable for any contractual obligations (e.g. charges
for any minimum contract periods, etc.)

If a MAC cannot be issued, the provider will explain why

Providers should offer the customer reasonable assistance in migrating
from/to another provider

Wholesale providers must issue a MAC to their resellers (not end users) and
cannot withhold it even if there are contractual disputes

The provider must not disconnect a customers service if a MAC is requested

The retail broadband provider must provide two different ways to obtain a
MAC (e.g. by phone, by post, by website form)

When a MAC is issued the provider will also provide its expiry date

A provider must re-issue a MAC on subsequent requests if the previous MAC
has expired

Peter Crosland

Old February 13th 07, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

This has already been posted... Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:42

Old February 13th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Horse.trader

"Motion" wrote in message
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

This has already been posted... Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:42

.................................................. .................................................. ......................

Still useful though, I didn't see it first time around!

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old February 13th 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger M

"Motion" wrote in message
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

This has already been posted... Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:42

I didn't spot it, so thanks for reposting it!

Roger

Old February 13th 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

This has already been posted... Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:42

I didn't spot it, so thanks for reposting it!

Roger

That was why I posted it and the fact that it was topical, plus I had seen
some posts recently that suggested it was not widely known. Still you can't
please everybody!

Peter Crosland

Old February 13th 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Peter Crosland wrote:
This has already been posted... Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:42

I didn't spot it, so thanks for reposting it!

Roger

That was why I posted it and the fact that it was topical, plus I had
seen some posts recently that suggested it was not widely known.
Still you can't please everybody!

Peter Crosland

Plus your post is in plain clear English and it doesn't have non working
links or obscure title

Many thanks
Jon

Old February 14th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

All sounds good on paper, in practice if you a re a v21 'customer'
it's pants. They state15 days to get a mac code which souds illigal to
me. I've just spent and wasted a whole hour trying to get though to
try and get one, I gave up that's 6 gone nowhere

Old February 14th 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

On 14 Feb 2007 09:18:37 -0800, "
wrote:

|!All sounds good on paper, in practice if you a re a v21 'customer'
|!it's pants. They state15 days to get a mac code which souds illigal to
|!me. I've just spent and wasted a whole hour trying to get though to
|!try and get one, I gave up that's ?6 gone nowhere

Ring just as they open in a morning, before the rush.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Old February 14th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 14 Feb, 17:25, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:
On 14 Feb 2007 09:18:37 -0800, "

wrote:

|!All sounds good on paper, in practice if you a re a v21 'customer'
|!it's pants. They state15 days to get a mac code which souds illigal to
|!me. I've just spent and wasted a whole hour trying to get though to
|!try and get one, I gave up that's ?6 gone nowhere

Ring just as they open in a morning, before the rush.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go towww.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartleyhttp://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman

No if you knew about v21 anytime of the day would'nt make any
difference with them, guess I will try the post alternative

Old February 15th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

" wrote:

All sounds good on paper, in practice if you a re a v21 'customer'
it's pants. They state15 days to get a mac code which souds illigal to
me. I've just spent and wasted a whole hour trying to get though to
try and get one, I gave up that's 6 gone nowhere

I think the new OFCOM rules say that a MAC must be offered by at least 2 methods
like phone, email or snail mail.

Try sending them a letter. Or a fax even !

Graham