Has AOL UK upgraded all its 1meg customers to 2meg?

Old February 13th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

Default Has AOL UK upgraded all its 1meg customers to 2meg?

Just a query... Has AOL UK upgraded all its existing customers (who were on
1meg) to 2meg free of charge? Or is the 2meg offer only available to
newcomers to the service?

Old February 13th 07, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Fred wrote:

Just a query... Has AOL UK upgraded all its existing customers (who were on
1meg) to 2meg free of charge?

Yes - it is being phased in over this month. What is not being phased
in AFAIK is a price cut to current subscribers. So you will probably
continue to be billed 17.99 unless you phone Dorothy in Delhi and ask
for an upgrade to the 14.99 package. :-)
Also this month is the new AUP package where high users will be
throttled at peak times. This is affecting me and looks to be a
throttle to about 512kb/s 5.30 - 11pm (approx) Sunday - Thursday
night.
Old February 13th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:27:20 -0000, "Fred"
wrote:

Just a query... Has AOL UK upgraded all its existing customers (who were on
1meg) to 2meg free of charge? Or is the 2meg offer only available to
newcomers to the service?

Not yet here. But we live in hope....

[L.]
Old February 13th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Fred" wrote in message ...
Just a query... Has AOL UK upgraded all its existing customers (who were on
1meg) to 2meg free of charge? Or is the 2meg offer only available to
newcomers to the service?

The email I received said it could take up to 6 months:-

...."Over the next six months we will be increasing your AOL Broadband Silver download speed from up to 1Mbps to up to 2Mbps*. And it
won't cost you a penny more. Faster broadband means that you'll be able to open web pages, play games, store photos, and download
files, music, films and videos in half the time. And you don't have to do a thing." ...

Perhaps they are delaying it where they are unbundling customer's
exchanges.

My download speed appears to have been throttled by two thirds
for the last two evenings, and I note some other AOL users are
complaining about poor speeds, so I wonder if it will make much
odds.

Old February 13th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Mel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Fred" wrote in message

Just a query... Has AOL UK upgraded all its existing customers (who

were on
1meg) to 2meg free of charge? Or is the 2meg offer only available to
newcomers to the service?

The email I received said it could take up to 6 months:-

..."Over the next six months we will be increasing your AOL Broadband

Silver download speed from up to 1Mbps to up to 2Mbps*. And it
won't cost you a penny more. Faster broadband means that you'll be able to

open web pages, play games, store photos, and download
files, music, films and videos in half the time. And you don't have to do

a thing." ...

Perhaps they are delaying it where they are unbundling customer's
exchanges.

The impression I get is that investment in new lines ceased the minute the
takeover by Carphone Warehouse was announced. Us 'AOL Gold' customers who
were already on 2Mb should have been on ADSL Max by now.

My download speed appears to have been throttled by two thirds
for the last two evenings, and I note some other AOL users are
complaining about poor speeds, so I wonder if it will make much
odds.

Probably not between Sunday and Thurday. I wouldn't mind so much if
downloads outside of peak periods were speeded-up to compensate.

(kim)