Monitor your usage amount

Old February 13th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Monitor your usage amount

I have currently subscribed to Orange starter broadband with the 2Gb
download limit. I have been using it quite a bit recently for work.

Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit. Is there any
software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to measure my
usage activity?

Any help would be great
thanks,
Chris

Old February 13th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Old February 13th 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Grant wrote:
: Chris wrote:
:
: Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
: is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit. Is there any
: software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to measure my
: usage activity?

: http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

I have also been using this!

However as Orange (and before them Wanadoo and before them Freeserve!) have
*STILL* failed to provide any tools for users to query their exact usage I have
found them to be very relaxed about (even quite large) overruns on the
supposed monthly limit!
Old February 13th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Feb 2007 03:50:57 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit.

That's presumably a query for Orange, to see if it is on some control
panel within their service, so you can see at a glance.

Is there any software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to
measure my usage activity?

Three free options for tracking future usage...

Try Net Meter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...NetMeter.shtml

or CS Fire Monitor. http://www.croftssoftware.com/Downloads.html

----------------

From a response by Phil Thompson in uk.comp.home-networking (11/01)
(actually OP wanted to have separate measurement of LAN and internet traffic,
as most count only the ethernet connection and won't easily distinguish)...

Just tried NetLimiter 2.0 out, the Monitor version (cheapest free
version, better ones are shareware with 30 day trial).

http://www.netlimiter.com/ as suggested on here earlier (thanks).

Out of the box it configured itself to recognise traffic to my LAN and
the Internet as separate "zones" based on IP address. Data transfer
rate and totalised volumes are given for each instance of each
application or you can condense down to see the totals for the
computer.

So for a single PC accessing the internet and a LAN NetLimiter offers
"internet only" stats, but a multi-PC LAN would need it on each PC to
total up the WAN use.

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Old February 13th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
: That's presumably a query for Orange, to see if it is on some control
: panel within their service, so you can see at a glance.

It isn't!!! This is why they are quite relaxed about overruns unless
provoked by silly excesses!
Old February 13th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Chris" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have currently subscribed to Orange starter broadband with the 2Gb
download limit. I have been using it quite a bit recently for work.

Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit. Is there any
software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to measure my
usage activity?

Any help would be great
thanks,

My Speedtouch router records the amount of data sent/received since the last
reset. I would expect other routers to do the same.

--

Michael Chare

Old February 14th 07, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have currently subscribed to Orange starter broadband with the 2Gb
download limit. I have been using it quite a bit recently for work.

Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit. Is there any
software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to measure my
usage activity?

Any help would be great
thanks,

My Speedtouch router records the amount of data sent/received since the
last
reset. I would expect other routers to do the same.

Yep, my poxy old router logs this data too. Unfortunately it only counts up
to 2Gig (0x7FFFFFFF) then stops counting.

Old February 14th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 13 Feb 2007, "Michael Chare" wrote:

My Speedtouch router records the amount of data sent/received since the
last reset. I would expect other routers to do the same.

I've seen some report numbers, but might suffer problems (like Windows
Task Manager) that once you exceed some byte count, it resets to zero
anyway. Also, possible problem of a lockup means rebooting so all
details could be lost...
Old February 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have currently subscribed to Orange starter broadband with the 2Gb
download limit. I have been using it quite a bit recently for work.

Could anyone tell me a way to find out what my usage level currently
is as I dont want to go over the assigned 2Gb limit. Is there any
software (preferably free ;-) ) that I can download to measure my
usage activity?

Any help would be great
thanks,

My Speedtouch router records the amount of data sent/received since the
last
reset. I would expect other routers to do the same.

Yep, my poxy old router logs this data too. Unfortunately it only counts up
to 2Gig (0x7FFFFFFF) then stops counting.

Looks like my Casio calculator has a similar problem when working in hex. It
appears to use 'Two's complement with a 4 byte field. Never noticed that before!

My router counts (displays) Kbytes, so if it has a similar limit it will be 2
Terrabytes. Could take a while to reach that figure.
--

Michael Chare