BT Vesatility package

Old February 13th 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Robert Hill

Default BT Vesatility package

At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue
system to a new BT digital system with broadband module.
There will be a button for an VOIP connection but if we use
BT VOIP this will cost apparently 18.99 per month! So, how
does one route a system like this to connect with a free
VOIP provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads
the software and off you go, but in a phone system how can
it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

TIA
Robert

Old February 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Robert Hill explained :
At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue system to a new BT
digital system with broadband module. There will be a button for an VOIP
connection but if we use BT VOIP this will cost apparently 18.99 per month!
So, how does one route a system like this to connect with a free VOIP
provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads the software and off you
go, but in a phone system how can it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

The simplest way would be to connect an ATA to the system - if it's
capable of conecting to analogue lines, that is.

The ATA would simply make your phone system think it is connected to a
physical PSTN line.

Old February 13th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Robert Hill wrote:
At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue
system to a new BT digital system with broadband module.
There will be a button for an VOIP connection but if we use
BT VOIP this will cost apparently 18.99 per month! So, how
does one route a system like this to connect with a free
VOIP provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads
the software and off you go, but in a phone system how can
it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

TIA
Robert

If you want to do that why don't you buy a proper IP-PBX in the first
place? I don't see the point in buying a proprietary digital phone
system and then having to buy extra hardware to be able to convert from
analogue to IP when you can just buy an IP PBX.

I'm guessing this is going to be a very small system since you're
worried about paying 18.99 per month so I'd suggest your best options
are either a pre-packaged Asterisk based PBX system or a hosted system
by someone like Gradwell or Voipfone.

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 13th 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Robert Hill wrote:
At work we are going to change our old Samsung analogue
system to a new BT digital system with broadband module.
There will be a button for an VOIP connection but if we use
BT VOIP this will cost apparently 18.99 per month! So, how
does one route a system like this to connect with a free
VOIP provider? On a computer obviously one just downloads
the software and off you go, but in a phone system how can
it communicate with a non BT VOIP provider?

Dump the proprietary BT solution and go for an open solution.

Gordon