Changing I.P. nonsense?

Old February 14th 07, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Changing I.P. nonsense?

Pun Krocker wrote:

Hi,

I made a post here a few weeks ago asking if it was possible to trace
an I.P. address back to the user as someone was being a pest in a
website guestbook:
Anyway I just blocked the I.P. from the guestbook and all was quiet,
tonight they have started trying to be a smart ass again and I just
blocked the I.P. they then sent another message saying I cannot stop
them as they have hundreds of I.P. addresses, both numbers they used
did trace to different ISP's.

How is it possible they can do this? The guestbook is moderated now
because of them, but I cannot even block the rubbish they are sending
now as they have this I.P. trick?

Look up the IP and complain to the provider.

Graham

Old February 14th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Feb 2007, Lurch wrote:

But it if it is being used malicously then whoever owns it may be
interested in doing somehting about it. Also might not, but for the
cost of an email no harm in doing everything you can.

Perhaps best to see if the IP is listed on the status page for Tor
servers, at https://nighteffect.us/tns/?SR=IP&SO=Asc but whether
there's an easy way to complain about some random user whose link
has been via one of these is another matter - it's a case of get
the lot shut down, or block them from accessing the website (and
later check for new nodes). Personally I see the latter method
as a better option than the former.
Old February 14th 07, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Pun Krocker wrote:

Eeyore wrote :
Look up the IP and complain to the provider.

How can I, it is not their I.P.?

Whose is it then ?

FWIW some clot using an anonymising service was causing some trouble in a
newsgroup so I phoned the them up and complained about the abuse of their
service.

The problem ceased.

Graham

Old February 14th 07, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

On 14 Feb 2007, Lurch wrote:

But it if it is being used malicously then whoever owns it may be
interested in doing somehting about it. Also might not, but for the
cost of an email no harm in doing everything you can.

Perhaps best to see if the IP is listed on the status page for Tor
servers, at https://nighteffect.us/tns/?SR=IP&SO=Asc but whether
there's an easy way to complain about some random user whose link
has been via one of these is another matter - it's a case of get
the lot shut down, or block them from accessing the website (and
later check for new nodes). Personally I see the latter method
as a better option than the former.

You can also complain to whoever is the provider of their connectivity.

Graham

Old February 14th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Feb 2007, Eeyore wrote:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

Perhaps best to see if the IP is listed on the status page for Tor
servers, at https://nighteffect.us/tns/?SR=IP&SO=Asc but whether
there's an easy way to complain about some random user whose link
has been via one of these is another matter - it's a case of get
the lot shut down, or block them from accessing the website (and
later check for new nodes). Personally I see the latter method
as a better option than the former.

You can also complain to whoever is the provider of their connectivity.

Which achieves "what" exactly? If user at IP "a.b.c.d" is using this
software to get access to a website via address "v.w.x.y" (and some
other address the next time, and another, the next), then complaining
about the user at IP "v.w.x.y" could get them into trouble with their
ISP but does nothing to target "a.b.c.d".

Blocking each of the IPs shown on the 'nighteffect.us' link (a series of
"v.w.x.y" addresses) as potential access entries will block anyone who
attempts to use that service for access, without causing trouble for
those who are willing to put their computer into service for free.

Your approach could end with the closedown of the Tor network but do
little to 'get' the abusive user at IP "a.b.c.d" (or whatever it is
the next time), and at the same time, make an enemy (ISP to user
"We have had a complaint from the webmaster of example.com about
access to their forum via your IP") of each of those who offered
their computer for altruistic reasons, their friends, and all the
people who are affected by the removal of those computers from the
Tor service... User at 'a.b.c.d' goes onto other anonymizer web
services, some free, some paid for, and is still a pain...

Good thinking, not! I guess you might re-think and see if you have
some alternative conclusion. As for Pun Krocker, I would hope they
see a formal complaint could backfire, big time.

Old February 14th 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Feb 2007, Eeyore wrote:

I phoned the them up and complained about the abuse of their service.

different when it is some 'paid for' service compared with a free one
working through individual users, worldwide, in a P2P network model.
Old February 14th 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:24:50 +0000, Eeyore
mused:

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

On 14 Feb 2007, Lurch wrote:

But it if it is being used malicously then whoever owns it may be
interested in doing somehting about it. Also might not, but for the
cost of an email no harm in doing everything you can.

Perhaps best to see if the IP is listed on the status page for Tor
servers, at https://nighteffect.us/tns/?SR=IP&SO=Asc but whether
there's an easy way to complain about some random user whose link
has been via one of these is another matter - it's a case of get
the lot shut down, or block them from accessing the website (and
later check for new nodes). Personally I see the latter method
as a better option than the former.

You can also complain to whoever is the provider of their connectivity.

I think that is the problem, no-one is too sure who their provider is,
hence the question.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 14th 07, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message
,
NoNeedToKnow writes
On 14 Feb 2007, Eeyore wrote:
NoNeedToKnow wrote:

Perhaps best to see if the IP is listed on the status page for Tor
servers, at https://nighteffect.us/tns/?SR=IP&SO=Asc

You can also complain to whoever is the provider of their connectivity.

Your approach could end with the closedown of the Tor network but do
little to 'get' the abusive user at IP "a.b.c.d"

it's a pity that the Tor network software is incapable of setting to
block abusive IP's from using Tor to anonymise

--
dave @ stejonda
Old February 14th 07, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Feb 2007, "dave @ stejonda" wrote:

it's a pity that the Tor network software is incapable of setting to
block abusive IP's from using Tor to anonymise

Problem is that one needs to know the 'abusive IP' to be able to block
it. Perhaps what would be better would be a way for someone to mark a
site (not IP) as "not accepting connections from the Tor network" which
would mean that the site owner would not need to blacklist the IPs and a
new node would not accept a request to connect to the website (whereas in
the method I suggested earlier, the site owner needs to blacklist many IPs
and the following week, when a new server is added, there's another chance
that a connection might be made).

Of course, completely against the spirit of anonymity, but in keeping with
a non-abuse policy, certain websites could be flagged as wanting records
to be kept if someone used the Tor network to connect, such that abuse
could be traced (via Tor admin/abuse) to determine which IP was the
initiator. I don't see that idea taking off, though :-)
Old February 15th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

On 14 Feb 2007, Eeyore wrote:

I phoned the them up and complained about the abuse of their service.

different when it is some 'paid for' service compared with a free one
working through individual users, worldwide, in a P2P network model.

It doesn't stop you doing it though.

I've found ISPs to take abuse very seriously.

Graham