Cheap Chinese (ATA's) on Ebay - Any good for simple use?

Old February 14th 07, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

Default Cheap Chinese (ATA's) on Ebay - Any good for simple use?

I have an account with voip.co.uk and subscribe to their 1.99 a month
service.

My mum is getting older now but has broadband as she tends to be a bit
of a 'silver surfer'. I seem to be making an increasing number of
calls to her these days and she likes to chat to her friends during
the week. The voip.co.uk option of 2p for up to one hour during peak
periods would seem to suit her and also allow me to phone her for
nothing.

I have been looking at the option of one of the cheap Chinese ATA's on
Ebay for her, and was wondering if anyone could give any experiences
of having used one. The two common models seem to be the Gate 101 and
Gate 102. She doesn't need any bells and whistles, just something to
plug in and work.

Anyone care to pass on any of their experiences with these devices?

Many thanks,

Roger.

Old February 14th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:13:01 +0000, Roger Baker
wrote:

[...]

A factor you might consider....
I haven't seen these devices so can't comment but I would think that,
particularly with an older person, you would want to integrate the
landline, if she intends to keep it (no choice if on BT of course).
This a an additional safety factor should she become ill etc.
Some ATAs have simple fallback to a landline if the power faills,
others have full support for it.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 14th 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

wrote:

[...]

The Gateway 102 does have PSTN fallback. Likewise, I'm not able to comment
on the quality of these gadgets. I have noticed that the 'Buy it Now' price
of the 102 from ebay's 'digidave_ie' is now 33. Seems to be quite a price
hike.

Old February 14th 07, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Sun

"Roger Baker" wrote in message
idual.de...
[...]

Hi Roger,

I have precisely such an arrangement for my elderly mother using the Gate
102. This unit allows incoming calls via PSTN as normal and outgoing calls
via VOIP service provider. I configured the GATE 102 to dial 9 for the BT
line rather than *00 default value. So to dial e.g. emergency service it's
a case of 9 (wait for BT dial tone) 999 rather than 999.

I used www.voipcheap.com who provide good rates (virtually free) for UK
calls and a good rate for callling UK mobiles. Selected counties are also
"free".

The GATE 102 is better than the GATE 101 if you intend to keep the landline
(recommended). Expect to pay around 20 - better than the typical "buy it
now" price of 33 on eBay.

Two things to be aware of - no caller ID is sent for dialled out calls with
this arrangement; also there is no distinctions between busy, unavailable or
miss-dial for dialled out numbers via VOIP - you get the same "busy" tone.

In all, the setup seems reliable and safe if you keep the landline and the
cost savings are considerable. Let me know if you need more specific
configuration details but overall, it is very easy to configure.

Cheers from Mike

Old February 14th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ale.cx

On Feb 14, 1:28 pm, "Mike Sun" wrote:

Two things to be aware of - no caller ID is sent for dialled out calls with
this arrangement; also there is no distinctions between busy, unavailable or
miss-dial for dialled out numbers via VOIP - you get the same "busy" tone.

This may of course be down to Voipcheap and not the ATA.

alexd

Old February 15th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

I have an account with voip.co.uk and subscribe to their 1.99 a month
service.

My mum is getting older now but has broadband as she tends to be a bit
of a 'silver surfer'. I seem to be making an increasing number of
calls to her these days and she likes to chat to her friends during
the week. The voip.co.uk option of 2p for up to one hour during peak
periods would seem to suit her and also allow me to phone her for
nothing.

If she surfs a lot why not try Skype? Its free and works well
Or ever thought about
www.1899.co.uk ??

The advantage of having an ATA is that it can connect to your standard
house phones - no need to have a computer on AND, for an older person,
in particular, to have to dash to a computer, to answer a call, really
isn't the thing to do. Totally free calls can be had SIP to SIP. As
far as 1899 goes, well calls can be had at 2p/call on voip with 1899
it is 5p/call. So lots of advantages to buying an ATA.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:21:55 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

If she surfs a lot why not try Skype? Its free and works well
Or ever thought about www.1899.co.uk ??

The advantage of having an ATA is that it can connect to your standard
house phones - no need to have a computer on AND, for an older person,
in particular, to have to dash to a computer, to answer a call, really
isn't the thing to do.

You can get a little adaptor box from Maplin or a computer fair for
about 20 that will enable you to use any standard phone with Skype.
Yes, you have to have the computer switched on, but it's cheap to try
it out and you're not restricted to a choice of a very few special
phones - any phone that will plug into a standard BT socket will do,
even the base station of a cordless phone, so you can have extensions
anywhere you like.

The adaptor is capable of switching the same phone automatically
between Skype and the BT line, but it is possible to configure it to
stay on one input, so it effectively becomes a simple USB to BT
converter, if you want to use a separate phone for Skype calls.

Rod.
Old February 16th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:24:10 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

You can get a little adaptor box from Maplin or a computer fair for
about 20 that will enable you to use any standard phone with Skype.

Whilst I am grateful for all the information given, I fear that this
thread has drifted away from the original question, which was opinions
on how good the cheap Chinese ATA's are.

I am not interested in Skype as I already have experience of 'true'
SIP by using my own self unlocked PAP2 ATA with voip.co.uk. The
question was quite specific.

Thank you to the people who have attempted to answer the original
point and to that end I have ordered one of the Gate 102 ATA's to see
how my mother gets on with it. From reading some info on the net,
there is a question of presentation of CLI from an incoming PSTN call.
I'll investigate this when it arrives and I get it set up. If it isn't
able to do this it isn't a big problem provided it is provided on
incoming VOIP calls. She can always dial 1471 for the odd missed PSTN
call.

If anyone is interested, I'll report back in due course.

Roger.

Old February 24th 07, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Baker

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:30:32 +0000, Roger Baker
wrote:

If anyone is interested, I'll report back in due course.

Just to report back now that I have obtained one of the Chinese ATA's.
I got the Gate 102 from Digidave on Ebay. I bid on one that wasn't
listed as 'buy it now' and got it for 14 plus 8 postage.

This model allows you to connect your PSTN line and like a previous
poster I have configured it to make an outgoing call on PSTN by
pressing 9 first. Just entering the number normally sends the connect
out on VOIP.

I am very pleased. It seems reliable and was easy to set up. It
doesn't have some of the more technical settings available as does the
PAP2 range. The audio quality is as good as my PAP2 and the fall back
to PSTN works fine.

Unlike the previous poster, CLID is sent from and received by the unit
using voip.co.uk. However, like the previous poster CLI is not
received with an incoming PSTN call, presumably because the data and
the first ring are lost.

All in all though a good buy and well suited for the purpose it was
purchased for.

Roger.

Old February 27th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nildram news

wrote:

[...]

I have just received one but can't get it to work and I am wondering if it's
the different phones I have tried to connect to the unit which are causing
the problem. Except for the obvious such as SIP server address, user ID,
password, did you have to change any other settings ? I am using
voipcheap.com so I would think the settings should be very similar to yours
?

Bernard