Sky Broadband - No ethernet on PC

Old February 14th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

Default Sky Broadband - No ethernet on PC

Hi guys
Looking to migrate to Sky BB from Pipex. Sick of their slow speeds and port
throttling.
I guess the netgear router which you get free with Sky will have an ethernet
connection?

My PC, does not have an ethernet card installed. Not a real problem I can
get one installed, but is there any minimum spec on type of card? 10/100 or
10/100/100?

Old February 14th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"diy-newby" wrote in message
Hi guys
Looking to migrate to Sky BB from Pipex. Sick of their slow speeds and
port throttling.
I guess the netgear router which you get free with Sky will have an
ethernet connection?

My PC, does not have an ethernet card installed. Not a real problem I can
get one installed, but is there any minimum spec on type of card? 10/100
or 10/100/100?

Any network card will do. Really the minimum is an 10/100 card, although a
10/100/1000 card isn't that expensive (actually you may find that this is
the only type of card that are stocked).

Old February 14th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

diy-newby wrote:
: My PC, does not have an ethernet card installed. Not a real problem I can
: get one installed, but is there any minimum spec on type of card? 10/100 or
: 10/100/100?

The Sky router (unless the DG834G has been upgraded recently) is 10/100Mb

The ADSL link is so (relatively) slow that virtually any cheap (~10 pounds)
Ethernet card is going to be quite adequate for it.
Old February 14th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

diy-newby wrote:
: My PC, does not have an ethernet card installed. Not a real problem I can
: get one installed, but is there any minimum spec on type of card? 10/100 or
: 10/100/100?

The Sky router (unless the DG834G has been upgraded recently) is 10/100Mb

The ADSL link is so (relatively) slow that virtually any cheap (~10 pounds)
Ethernet card is going to be quite adequate for it.

I'm sure my perfectly adequate 10/100 card wasn't more than £5 or £6.

Graham

Old February 14th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Eeyore wrote:

: I'm sure my perfectly adequate 10/100 card wasn't more than £5 or £6.

That sounds fine! There are more expensive Ethernet cards (designed more
for company networks) which offload much of the traffic processing from
the CPU. These are generally overkill for home ADSL.
Old February 15th 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

: I'm sure my perfectly adequate 10/100 card wasn't more than £5 or £6.

That sounds fine! There are more expensive Ethernet cards (designed more
for company networks) which offload much of the traffic processing from
the CPU. These are generally overkill for home ADSL.

Agreed.

The OP also doesn't need the 'boot from network' option.

Graham

Old February 15th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kipper

I think you'll find that you need a wireless adapter rather than an ethernet
card. In their pack they say that if you don't have one then they can
provide one for about £20.

Old February 16th 07, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"G a z ." wrote in message
m...

As I understand, you need to set up a wired ethernet connection before
you can even think about setting up a wireless connection.

Nope.. Sky works out of the box and has wpa security set too.
You just install the adapter and enter the key when prompted.

Old February 17th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

[email protected] wrote:
"G a z ." wrote in message
m...

As I understand, you need to set up a wired ethernet connection
before you can even think about setting up a wireless connection.

Nope.. Sky works out of the box and has wpa security set too.
You just install the adapter and enter the key when prompted.

You sure mine came with WEP on, which I turned off immediately as I
already have a WAP on the network.

Also turned off the DHCP server as I'm running with fixed IP thru a
seperate firewall but that's neither here nor there

..
Old February 17th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"kraftee" wrote in message
[email protected] wrote:
"G a z ." wrote in message
m...

As I understand, you need to set up a wired ethernet connection
before you can even think about setting up a wireless connection.

Nope.. Sky works out of the box and has wpa security set too.
You just install the adapter and enter the key when prompted.

You sure mine came with WEP on, which I turned off immediately as I
already have a WAP on the network.

They are supposed to have wpa on, mine did.

Not that I am using the wireless on the SKY as I have a dualband access
point and use 802.11a myself.